1886 post office finds and identification help

penaltybox

Hello everyone. I finally got back to the 1886 River bottom post office. This post office and area saw a lot of traffic by post Civil War soldiers, in fact the office was ran by a civil war veteran who retired from the Fort north of this area. It was used from 1886 to 1908. It has never seen a detector and Is owned by a friend, so I have exclusive rights.

Pictured below is some this weekends finds. I need a little help identifying some things. Specifically the gears and if anyone has a little info on the eagle button and the buckle that would be great. There's some sort of instrument piece with one rounded side and one square side which I can't identify. It has an A# stamped on it. I also found my first crotal bell on this hunt!
6b5335cb6f7946293846af76dffbdae6.jpg
3b0e553ced0bcf804dc0257784996350.jpg
bcb4fdd28b6d0a4dfc0972f3e4a1f463.jpg
54398b7ef95e5209e029b509a42b7005.jpg
843caf2b831af78a682f04b3799ce54d.jpg
0e8012e9e7d57e941dda4aa7a7d0db6f.jpg
2cad680b0b250edc4fab20652d138ae6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

What's on the shield of the eagle button? Crotal bells are awesome! Some great finds here

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

What's on the shield of the eagle button? Crotal bells are awesome! Some great finds here

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
The letter 'I'. Representing Infantry. I'm assuming its a civil war Era button considering the history of the area. This is in North Dakota by the way.

OP- Post a better (closer) pic of what you're calling an "instrument". Also, why do you think that's what it is?
I wanna say it may be from an accordion or something. It has A# printed on it.
265b7a8db77223c47124f194d0a7761e.jpg

That's definitely a civil war era infantry button, great finds!
Thanks! It's my second civil war button. It's pretty rewarding finding things like this in North Dakota. I wonder who it may have belonged to. I know Custers men went through this area and were stationed at the fort just south of where I live, months before they died at Little Big Horn.

You musta got in to my pile of treasures. That's looks identical to stuff I drag home from homestead hunting.
I'm pretty sure that is some kind of organ reed a sharp. Mine are longer and single. Hair beret, shells shotgun headstamps, clock parts etc, etc. You are missing the harmonica reed and the pocket watch. Maybe next time.

Just in case you don't know yet. The first picture. The iron strap thing, shaped like a tee, two holes in two ends and a small point. I
'm pretty sure its the base part of a leg hold animal trap. Jaws and springs, trigger is missing.

Here's a photography tip: don't stand between your light source and your subject, your shadow darkens your subject. We need the subject well lighted, with contrast.
Yeah I took the pictures in a hurry on my side workbench. Don't have a light hung there yet. I was scatter brain after digging that button.

Just in case you don't know yet. The first picture. The iron strap thing, shaped like a tee, two holes in two ends and a small point. I
'm pretty sure its the base part of a leg hold animal trap. Jaws and springs, trigger is missing.
That makes sense! I've found full traps in the trees near the river bottom there. The chains went straight into the tree, damn tree grew right around it.

You musta got in to my pile of treasures. That's looks identical to stuff I drag home from homestead hunting.
I'm pretty sure that is some kind of organ reed a sharp. Mine are longer and single. Hair beret, shells shotgun headstamps, clock parts etc, etc. You are missing the harmonica reed and the pocket watch. Maybe next time.
I hope so! I'm hoping I find some silver there. A post office that was there for 22 years should have some silver. Especially since it's seen activity since the 1870s. I'll be posting some pictures and videos next week after I make another trip down there.

I hope so! I'm hoping I find some silver there. A post office that was there for 22 years should have some silver. Especially since it's seen activity since the 1870s. I'll be posting some pictures and videos next week after I make another trip down there.

We got lucky and got permission to hunt a property that was a PO for awhile during the late 1800's into early 1900's. It was coin city. Barbers, seated's, IH's standing libs etc. Go get em.

Back
Top Bottom