Off day turned into a truly amazing find!!

thebmasur

Yesterday I made my best find yet!! I'm still new to metal detecting. Just started this summer and am totally hooked. Yesterday, I was sort of in a slump. Not having the greatest day I figured I'd go out to a spot I've been a few times but never found anything truly amazing. Decided to try the stream but found nothing but garbage and GIANT spiders. Decided to hit the fields for a bit. After about an hour and a half of digging nothing but garbage I was getting pretty discouraged. I Dug a semi sketchy signal mid 50s after finding tons of scrap copper reading in the same area. Pulled this out and was praying it wasn't more garbage. When I saw the front I nearly had a heart attack. The area I was detecting was the site of native American longhouses so I was pretty sure I knew what I had just found. So here it is! My IHS Jesuit fur trade ring from the 1650s. My oldest find ever!! Dug it in a field that had long houses and captured christians during the 1650s. I still can't believe it!! Hope you all enjoy.
316b9221fcbe3b943cdf7344895750cd.jpg
967663eb3176bcd52bf49a0417460248.jpg
47b72d740e8b923cd6b4a942097089f4.jpg

-Brandon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Incredible find! whereabouts (in general) were you?

Oldest coin- 1958 wheat penny.

Holy mackerel!! I would not have even known what it was other then a ring and would have had to put it under "help id my finds," lol. Super huge congratulations to you!

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Holy mackerel!! I would not have even known what it was other then a ring and would have had to put it under "help id my finds," lol. Super huge congratulations to you!

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Thank you!! Hahah I just knew it was probably a trade ring because I found it where some Indian long houses were. The landowner also said a metal dectectorist a long time ago found a trade ring. I was really crossing my fingers I'd find one!! I figured out the Jesuit IHS part after doing some research on the trade rings.

Absolutely stunning! Funny, I am reading Wilderness Empire right now by Eckert and he dates the events in chronological order as chapter breaks. I was just looking at 1746 this, 1747 that in the general areas around Albany thinking how amazing it would be to find some trade goods out there in that date range...but then I saw your post! You go and find a mid-1600's ring? So cool!

You should submit this to Garrett as a "find of the month" for sure. I think they're still giving away Pro Pointers for selected winners.

Absolutely stunning! Funny, I am reading Wilderness Empire right now by Eckert and he dates the events in chronological order as chapter breaks. I was just looking at 1746 this, 1747 that in the general areas around Albany thinking how amazing it would be to find some trade goods out there in that date range...but then I saw your post! You go and find a mid-1600's ring? So cool!

You should submit this to Garrett as a "find of the month" for sure. I think they're still giving away Pro Pointers for selected winners.

Wow!! That's so neat you were just reading about that. I'll have to read that book. I couldn't believe it either!! I sat there looking at on the ground stunned for like 10 minutes before taking the dirt out [emoji23] I didn't know about the Garrett thing but that sounds cool. I'll definitely do that.

Yesterday I made my best find yet!! I'm still new to metal detecting. Just started this summer and am totally hooked. Yesterday, I was sort of in a slump. Not having the greatest day I figured I'd go out to a spot I've been a few times but never found anything truly amazing. Decided to try the stream but found nothing but garbage and GIANT spiders. Decided to hit the fields for a bit. After about an hour and a half of digging nothing but garbage I was getting pretty discouraged. I Dug a semi sketchy signal mid 50s after finding tons of scrap copper reading in the same area. Pulled this out and was praying it wasn't more garbage. When I saw the front I nearly had a heart attack. The area I was detecting was the site of native American longhouses so I was pretty sure I knew what I had just found. So here it is! My IHS Jesuit fur trade ring from the 1650s. My oldest find ever!! Dug it in a field that had long houses and captured christians during the 1650s. I still can't believe it!! Hope you all enjoy.

-Brandon

What makes this such an amazing find, is the fact you KNEW what it was digging it up. That's incredible. Just incredible that you knew!

So cool.

What makes this such an amazing find, is the fact you KNEW what it was digging it up. That's incredible. Just incredible that you knew!

So cool.

Thanks man!! I really appreciate it. I think that definitely did add to the excitement when I dug it up. It's neat to be able appreciate the item as it sits in the field.

Did I really?! How do I find that out lol thanks for the suggestion! I never would have known about it without you

I saw the announcement on the Garrett FB page. I cannot believe they didn't tell you. Apparently you won the new MS-2 headphones. Sweet!

I saw the announcement on the Garrett FB page. I cannot believe they didn't tell you. Apparently you won the new MS-2 headphones. Sweet!

That's pretty funny man I just checked their website and saw it. Didn't get an email about it though haha I'll go look at the Facebook page too

Back
Top Bottom