Leaving detectors in the car.

volksbeetle28

Anyone bring multiple detectors on a hunt and leave spares in the car? I'm wanting to bring a few when I go hunting, but am worried the heat may fry them. Of course I'm only worried about those hot and sunny summer days. I've thought about laying a thick blanket or reflective visor over top to shield out the sun. That and try to find a shaded area to park.

They have a program here in CT of "Where's Baby" to the fools that would ever leave a baby in a hot car.. "Where's detector" could be next..

Tesoros don't care!

If it doesn't have a screen, no worries. ----A friend just flooded their AT Pro that was only a few weeks old. Garrett said the housing had slightly deformed from the heat of being in the trunk of his car. (Of course they replaced it anyway) --- Gotta love Garrett's customer service.

MY AT PRO decal on faceplate, the glue behind it melted when left in my car for two days, just saying.... Garrett Replaced it, but thats what caused it.

Why you should NOT leave bottled water in your vehicle !

As far as detectors, I would think like with any electronics, that extreme heat is best avoided.

but this thread reminded me of a news article I saw today, I found an online news site with the same story -

Why it’s risky to leave water bottles in your car, according to first responders

quote from the article linked below -

"Idaho Power illustrated the same concept with a video posted to their Facebook page in July. In the video, a water bottle left in direct sunlight caused burn marks in the car seats and smoke. It was removed before any actual fire started." (end quote) (it works like a magnifying glass)

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article166509557.html

I usually try not to leave detectors in the trunk. I would imagine the heat/cold would take their toll on electronics.

I live in NE Florida and I always travel with at least 3-4 machines plus a couple of pinpointers in the Jeep. Never had an issue.

Your car has plenty of electronics and computers built into it. Ever had a heat related issue or even heard of one from your mechanic?

Don't "sweat" it.

I have left mine in my car off and on for the past two summers. The faceplate cover did warp somewhat but not the housing. Based on the below case, however, I'm going to be more careful about when I keep it in there during the hottest of the hot, like today.

BCD

If it doesn't have a screen, no worries. ----A friend just flooded their AT Pro that was only a few weeks old. Garrett said the housing had slightly deformed from the heat of being in the trunk of his car. (Of course they replaced it anyway) --- Gotta love Garrett's customer service.

In the spring & fall when it's cooler out I just leave my gear in my truck. This time of year I bring it in with me as it's just too hot out for me to be comfortable leaving it out there. I don't know how hot the inside of my truck gets when it's 100 out with high humidity, but it feels like a furnace when I open it to go somewhere...

Thanks all for sharing experience. I think I'll probably play it safe and wait until cooler weather when leaving them in there.

The manual for my X-terra 505 says that the storage temperature is from -4 to 149 degrees F, and the operating temperature is 32 to 113 degrees F. It also says to avoid placing it in a hot trunk or in direct sunlight in the passenger compartment.

Ive left it the back seat area of my truck pretty much year round and haven't had an issue.

Anyone bring multiple detectors on a hunt and leave spares in the car? I'm wanting to bring a few when I go hunting, but am worried the heat may fry them. Of course I'm only worried about those hot and sunny summer days. I've thought about laying a thick blanket or reflective visor over top to shield out the sun. That and try to find a shaded area to park.

I think it's probably wise to insulate them. Not directly related to detectors, I remember 40 years when I used to go after gold in NC. A couple days it reached 114-115 degrees. On my way home I stopped to get gas and the numbers on my credit card which was in my wallet and left in the car, had melted flat! Back then there were not magnetic stripe readers just impression readers.So extreme heat is not a good thing for anything.

I was leaving my detector (just the TK4) and other gear in the car during the spring. I live several stories up in an apartment building with no elevator, so it seemed convenient.

I realized my mistake when I went to put on my gloves at the start of a hunt and found the rubber grip coating had completely melted and black tar was stuck to everything they touched. Nooooooo!

I've been lugging stuff up and down the stairs for the summer now. It's incredibly hot here.

I leave my detectors out in the car year round...AtPro and F70...For going on 8yrs with NO troubles...I have them covered with a beach towel, it helps keep the direct Sun off of them and hides them somewhat...

I operate under the concept that ChipK mentioned...lots of other electronics in vehicles take twice the punishment with no trouble...

Back
Top Bottom