Nox vs. Etrac

Chris R

Elite Member
I'm a field, ball field and park hunter. Like big open spaces hunt very few yards. Just sold my MXT looking for a new rig. Which would you rather have?

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

Etrac, and by a longshot (for the areas you listed)...I own both...but it is nice to have a light, waterproof, multifrequency machine that can go as deep as it does for the price.

Etrac, and by a longshot (for the areas you listed)...I own both...but it is nice to have a light, waterproof, multifrequency machine that can go as deep as it does for the price.
Thanks for chiming in cellar. Its a tuff decision. Always wanted an etrac, had a explorer xs once upon a time. But i like the idea of being able to hunt in the water. But the depth and id abilities of the etrac are very desirable also. Decisions like this one are tuff.

I have the nox,and have only put a few hunts on it.Used the Etrac a lot..the nox is a good multi purpose machine,and is great for the money.But if we’re talking coin hunter,they’re not in the same league.
Etrac or any FBS machines are the only true coin machines made imo.Meaning they excell at depth and stable ID..That’s a coin machine.,.....The equinox is good at a lot of things,but don’t beat a Etrac for straight deep old coin hunting,no way.
If money were a factor and you hafto buy new ,,then by all means get the equinox,for The money it’s a better deal than a Etrac at new prices.Lets face it,coins just aren’t worth enough to pay off a $1500 machine.
But if your willing to buy used,then the Etrac is still the better option,if your sole purpose is old deep coins.

Last edited:
I would get both.
Used fbs unit and either model Nox.
If you go the 600 route and a used explorer 2, se pro, Etrac, in the end you won't have much more than what a new Etrac costs. Might even have less.

It is your decision.
Both Nox and fbs do wonderful things.

Having both open ups worlds of detecting venues/weather conditions.
Plus you will have a back up detector in case something goes wrong.

Thanks for your replies guys. I was thinking used etrac or new nox. Still haven't decided. I'm gonna have to pull the trigger this week because I'm detectorless right now.[emoji26]

Thanks for your replies guys. I was thinking used etrac or new nox. Still haven't decided. I'm gonna have to pull the trigger this week because I'm detectorless right now.[emoji26]

I already miss my MXT All Pro. That machine with a 13" ultimate coil can slay some open spaces.

I have never used or even touched an Equinox, but I'll bet they are an awesome machine. I own an E-Trac, and out of all the detectors I have had or used, the E-Trac blows them out of the water for finding the deep silver. I believe all, or most of the new detectors on the market are good machines and will serve you well depending on your wants and needs. I say don't get caught up in moment, but take your time, do the research, and base your detector purchase on what information you have learned.

the mxt is deeper than nox and fbs. In my garden anyway. Just got an mxt in on trade and amazed at the depth.

That being said the ID isnt as good as the minelabs. If you are only going to have one machine and plan to water hunt at all get a nox. If you are park and yard hunting for coins a jewelry etrac can be beat.

the mxt is deeper than nox and fbs. In my garden anyway. Just got an mxt in on trade and amazed at the depth.

That being said the ID isnt as good as the minelabs. If you are only going to have one machine and plan to water hunt at all get a nox. If you are park and yard hunting for coins a jewelry etrac can be beat.
Yes the mxt is very deep but the id past 8 inches high conductors drop way down the vdi scale. A dime on edge at 7 inches will ring up like a zincoln or even lower. A quarter at 10 will sound like a pulltab. You goot have a lot of experience with one to find good targets deep or just be a digging fool. But it does modulate the audio better than almost any detector I've ever used.

Have you posted your desires in classified section?
Someone may trade with you.

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about it. Then I read a couple of threads about people getting scammed and thought I would just try to sell my detector on Offerup/Craigslist and then just buy a NOX when the price isn't inflated.

Good luck on the nox 800 ....... looks like dealers are wising up and putting there 800"s on ebay ........ live bids going over $1200

Good luck on the nox 800 ....... looks like dealers are wising up and putting there 800"s on ebay ........ live bids going over $1200
Once you pay paypal and ebay fees they ain't making much over msrp.

There's sure a lot of 800s on eBay now, I lost count, also there's a lot of 600s but at normal price.

Get

A nice used Etrac and a new 600 , 1300.00 invested , however there is one major point to look at, i owned two Etracs, buy the time you get the extra coils and extra lower rods , you will have invested the money , as you could have bought a CTX , so that being said , get a 800, learn the machine, by the time the extra coils come out :roll::laughing:, you will be good to go, Earl

A nice used Etrac and a new 600 , 1300.00 invested , however there is one major point to look at, i owned two Etracs, buy the time you get the extra coils and extra lower rods , you will have invested the money , as you could have bought a CTX , so that being said , get a 800, learn the machine, by the time the extra coils come out :roll::laughing:, you will be good to go, Earl

You are correct Earl.Stuff adds up fast,before ya know it you got car money invested in this hobbie.The equinox is a good machine that somone could just go out and enjoy themselves with,and find a little bit of everything.
Etrac and deus,v3i,those machines in they’re new price range are really intended for a hardcore hunter,not your average joe.But that’s why they carry that price tag,cream of the crop.
By the time Minelab gets around to getting these nox coils out to us,the 800 models will show up Used I’m sure.Kinda a win win for a new buyer when that happens.

Back
Top Bottom