Help with Tesoro Cutlass II micromax

benjamin

I really want to like this detector, but something seems off about it to me. It falses quite often and doesn't get good depth. I was reading about mods and was wondering if there is a ground balance mod for this detector. I figure being able to balance if might cut down on falsing and increase depth. I purchased the detector for $60 second hand so there is no warranty. Any advice on settings for this detector or if/how to add a ground balance would be great.

There is likely a trim-pot on the circuit board that may allow you to tweak the GB.

In all honesty Benjamin, the Cutlass was not a good detector when new. Lack of depth (severe) and falseing were par for the course with them if the pre-set balance pot was even slightly out when new. Even when you re -adjust it, and you only get so many goes at it, the performance does not alter. I found most of the units, once leaving the factory with pre-set already out of whack, those machines were sour units anyway and were not calibrated to the coil to start with.
Even if you could do a ground balance mod, I'm afraid you would end up with a wandering ground balance every time, that would not enhance your unit in any way, but would actually make it even more unustable with constant falsing and no more depth at all.

I've had many such units, and after many hours and $ spent it's always impossible to make gold from coal.

Sorry for that news, but on the bright side, if you offload it quickly and get a workable Tesoro or any other brand, your worries will disappear and you'll be having fun digging.

In all honesty Benjamin, the Cutlass was not a good detector when new. Lack of depth (severe) and falseing were par for the course with them if the pre-set balance pot was even slightly out when new. Even when you re -adjust it, and you only get so many goes at it, the performance does not alter. I found most of the units, once leaving the factory with pre-set already out of whack, those machines were sour units anyway and were not calibrated to the coil to start with.
Even if you could do a ground balance mod, I'm afraid you would end up with a wandering ground balance every time, that would not enhance your unit in any way, but would actually make it even more unustable with constant falsing and no more depth at all.

I've had many such units, and after many hours and $ spent it's always impossible to make gold from coal.

Sorry for that news, but on the bright side, if you offload it quickly and get a workable Tesoro or any other brand, your worries will disappear and you'll be having fun digging.
Thanks for the info. I did find a pot inside and adjusted it. It chirps a tad bit on the down pump but overall it seems to have improved. It is banging on coins but have only found a few maybe an inch or two deep. I am going to try hooking up the 12×10 dd tomorrow and see how that does. I am not quite ready to give up. I read somewhere that this detector is almost identical to the Silver umax snd that one seems to get depth.

Hey Ben, there is a forum called Geotech that might be useful to you.

They make and modify all sorts of detectors.

I think the owner is an employee of Whites. (Carl)

Anyhow it is a very international forum, so some are hard to understand at times, but you get used to it.

Here is the link as it doesn't come up right away when you google "geotech", lot's of businesses called that.

http://www.geotech1.com/cgi-bin/pages/common/index.pl?page=metdet&file=main.dat

Hey Ben, there is a forum called Geotech that might be useful to you.

They make and modify all sorts of detectors.

I think the owner is an employee of Whites. (Carl)

Anyhow it is a very international forum, so some are hard to understand at times, but you get used to it.
Here is the link as it doesn't come up right away when you google "geotech", lot's of businesses called that.

http://www.geotech1.com/cgi-bin/pages/common/index.pl?page=metdet&file=main.dat
Joined. Thank you.

From what I have read, there is no real point to having a ground balance on this machine without an adjustable threshold as well. I did get my 12×10 widescan, opened up the machine and adjusted the GB pot to where there is a minor chirp on the down pump. The detector seems to be doing better. Took it out for 20 minutes and found some clad, including a nickel at 6", so I am getting some depth.

Back
Top Bottom