Racer Initial thoughts

choppadude

Forum Supporter
Got up this morning and took the E trac out for a couple hours while waiting for the Racer to arrive. Went to the "pounded park" it's a place that makes you work for anything you get. Has been hit hard for years and it seems that all that is left is nickels, deep dimes and junk. Managed to hit a Rosie at about 5" and a 1893 Barber dime under a huge tree at close to 9". This signal was a 10 42 mixed with iron numbers but the good numbers came up enough to make me dig. I found a small nail at about 4" and after I removed that and rechecked the hole the signal evened out to a steady 10-42. I was running a mostly open screen with TTF.

When I arrived home the Racer was on my doorstep so I spent less than 5 minutes assembling it, read through the manual and watched a couple videos.
Went back to the same area that I had just run the E Trac through but I did not run the same exact route just the same general area. I ran the racer in 2 tone and was able to turn the gain up to 85 and run pretty stable and the ID filter at 35. The first thing I noticed is this machine is light and well balanced. Came with extra coil bolt and rubber washers. I see the coil is not the "Improved" version with ribs and wonder how long these thin ears will last. To be fair, I have the same complaint with the Fisher coils. I do not know why they cannot build a coil as sturdy as the NEL coils. Those have some THICK ears!
As I said, the machine ran pretty quiet with the gain at 85 and ground balanced at 79. In the two tone mode the iron "grunt" is unmistakable but like many other units a large piece of iron will give you a false high tone and read in the low 80's. Pull tabs were plentiful but I was trying to learn the numbers and tones so I dug a lot of tabs and foil. Was surprised much of the foil ran into the 50's as I expected it to be in the 40's range like the AT Pro. I was able to pin point without any problem but the tone change in pin point is very subtle and I would think a novice would have a hard time initially. I may be able to change some tones and improve this but this stuck out to me.
Coin signals read very clear and hit hard. The VID numbers are stable with a coin size target. Depth numbers do not seem accurate but again to be fair not many units do a good job at this and it really is not a big deal to me as long as I can pin point and dig a plug. Either its in the plug or you dig deeper LOL!
The fruits of my labor were 3 nickels, A no date Buff at 5" and 45P Silver War nickel at 5", a 64 Jefferson at 5" and the big surprise was a 1913 Wheatie at 8"! Funny thing is when I cleaned up the Wheatie I could see where someone hit it with a probe about a half dozen times LOL!

I really need to put some more time on this unit before I can make a full review but can say that this appears to be a good unit for the price. Seems to be as well built as anything on the market right now. If they can provide customer service on par with Garrett and Whites that would be a big plus. It's not going to replace the E Trac, F75 Or the AT Pro but looks like it may be a good addition to the stable.
Going out tomorrow for a few hours and will report any additional findings.

I look forward to reading your thoughts and impressions as you continue to review the Racer. I'm looking to upgrade from a Fisher F4 and it is on the list of potentials.

Could have sworn TN was going to be the FIRST one in on this. Good start. I wonder how many units are waiting to be sold with the old ears.

That is pretty much my thoughts. Just another tool in the detector box. It won't replace any of my detectors, but it does fill two needs. Hunting those hunted to death spots and hunting those places with lots of iron. It tried to sell mine a few times, but I really started to like it. Maybe not getting my price was a sign to keep it. I hope you get to try the sniper coil in iron. The detector shows why it is special in conditions like that.

That is pretty much my thoughts. Just another tool in the detector box. It won't replace any of my detectors, but it does fill two needs. Hunting those hunted to death spots and hunting those places with lots of iron. It tried to sell mine a few times, but I really started to like it. Maybe not getting my price was a sign to keep it. I hope you get to try the sniper coil in iron. The detector shows why it is special in conditions like that.

Spot on Goodmore!!

Did you get the Bluetooth option?

No Bluetooth for me. The delay would make it all but impossible to pin point. I have used the Auvio 33-283 wireless headphones as well as the Rapoo 3070 wireless on the Racer and really like the way they sound/work.
I took the racer out solo for a couple hours this morning and did some curb strips on the old side of town. It did a great job sniffing out a couple semi deep Wheaties. They hit hard on the audio and the TID was steady but the depth still is way off. Also still more foil than I like even going into the 3 tone option but I am going to give it time and really try to get in tune with the tones as well as the target IDs. I will still give it Kudos for being quiet even at the upper gain settings.
In optimum conditions it would be easy to learn what target hits what number but when the target is deep or on edge or in close proximity to junk the numbers tend to jump a bit or skew off. I know I am just getting used to the E trac and how to tell when I have a good target next to junk just by that 12-43 popping in once every couple swings over the signal.
So I am going to give it a couple more weeks before I do a full review on it but as of right now I will repeat what many have said "It is a good unit for the price range"
I know some issues have popped up and am anxiously awaiting to see how Makro handles them. Maybe a little more time at the design table would have helped LOL!
I am convinced that Garrett and Whites are two of the top dogs today in part to the way they treat and respond to their customers needs.

I also own a Minelab and have found their CS a bit lacking. After buying a new E trac that contained a faulty AA Alkaline battery pack, they insisted that I send the faulty one back BEFORE they would issue me a replacement. This is AFTER I sent then a photo of the broken part! Luckily the dealer stepped in and took care of the issue but I do not have much faith in any future interactions being positive. Just goes to show you that some will put up with sub par CS IF their product is something special. But I seriously doubt that anyone will tolerate mediocre CS on a mediocre product.

Thanks for thew review, I will continue reading your updates on the Racer.
I was surprised myself that they built in a wireless bluetooth option, given bluetooths reputation for latency. I am interested in anyone's working knowledge of the racers bluetooth.

I also own a Minelab and have found their CS a bit lacking. After buying a new E trac that contained a faulty AA Alkaline battery pack, they insisted that I send the faulty one back BEFORE they would issue me a replacement. This is AFTER I sent then a photo of the broken part! Luckily the dealer stepped in and took care of the issue but I do not have much faith in any future interactions being positive. Just goes to show you that some will put up with sub par CS IF their product is something special. But I seriously doubt that anyone will tolerate mediocre CS on a mediocre product.

I don't really consider this as bad customer service. It is an easy way for them to protect themselves from fraud and also to examine the flaw to trace it back to it's origin.

I respect that you were annoyed that they didn't seem to take your word.

I don't really consider this as bad customer service. It is an easy way for them to protect themselves from fraud and also to examine the flaw to trace it back to it's origin.

I respect that you were annoyed that they didn't seem to take your word.

Well here is my feeling on the issue and what I told the CS rep at Minelab.

When I spend $1500 on a metal detector I am TRUSTING that I will get a brand new unit that works and that any included accessories such as chargers, covers, batteries will also perform as they should. It is not easy for me to TRUST but I must if I want to get anywhere in life.
BUT when I get something that is not up to par or is brand new but broken I TRUST that the company will take any means necessary to correct the issue as soon as possible. So when I call them the day after my machine arrived and tell them about this and send a clear photo of my receipt, my machines serial # and the broken part I expect some resolution.
Instead I get the feeling that they do not TRUST me. This is strange due to the fact that it was THEY who broke this TRUST by not sending me what I paid for in the first place.
Now let's compare Garrett here.
When I fist bought an ACE 350 a few years ago I ended up with a coil going bad after a few weeks. I tried another coil on it from a friends machine and it worked fine. I called Garrett and told them what I found and within a minute I had a promise of a new coil coming my way. I asked them if they wanted the old coil back and they said no. Last year the arm cuff on my AT Pro broke, again I called Garrett and again they took care of the situation within minutes and I had my replacement part within days. I TRUSTED that Garrett would take care of me and they did. Minelab may have some of the best machines but they are leaps and bounds behind on good customer service.

Good review but how about......
Going out with one machine for a specified amount of time and marking signals you would dig. Go back to the flagged targets with the other machine and do a comparison. See which was more accurate or better at identifying the same target in real world conditions.

Good review but how about......
Going out with one machine for a specified amount of time and marking signals you would dig. Go back to the flagged targets with the other machine and do a comparison. See which was more accurate or better at identifying the same target in real world conditions.

That would be an excellent way to test these machines. Unfortunately I have neither that much time or energy to do this. I work a 7 day rotating schedule so my detecting time is pretty limited. I was able to do the testing I have done due to being on vacation for the last week.
I would also like to see this type of testing if anyone out there can try this.

That would be an excellent way to test these machines. Unfortunately I have neither that much time or energy to do this. I work a 7 day rotating schedule so my detecting time is pretty limited. I was able to do the testing I have done due to being on vacation for the last week.
I would also like to see this type of testing if anyone out there can try this.

Bill_S does a lot of this. Search for user Dirtfishing on youtube.

Back
Top Bottom