Makro Racer day 2

choppadude

Forum Supporter
Took both the Racer and the E Trac to a school that was built in the 20's and used up until a couple years ago. Been hit hard for years but I still manage to find some silver once in awhile. It was not to be so today.
Now firstly I am not trying to compare the Racer to the E Trac as the E Trac would win hands down. What I am trying to do is not only review the Racer but also put it in perspective. Those of use who have been around awhile heard some of the big hype put out by a few on the Racer and making statements comparing it the top machines. I think this did 2 things, first it just turned off ALOT of people. No one likes a pushy sales man, and secondly I think it made the dealers a little apprehensive of pushing the unit itself since people expectations were so high. Who wants to deal with a customer P'd off because his $650 Racer is not keeping up with his friends Dues's and E Tracs.

I want to get it right out there. I like this machine. It was fairly easy to figure out the basics and it just feels good in your hand.
The things I like:
Very stable. Even running the gain at 85-90 it was very quiet. Not whisper quiet like the F75 with DST but still nice. One thing I hate is when I set a detector down to dig a target and it just starts chattering nonstop. The Racer does not have this issue.
Coins hit hard on the audio. A good solid signal and accurate VID on shallow to medium depths. The VID tends to wander a bit on the deeper targets but that is common with many brands.
As I stated yesterday, I think the volume/tone rise change in pin point is a little hard to read BUT I found it very easy to pin point in the motion mode using the "Wiggle" method.

What I dislike about the Racer? FOIL! I dug a TON of it. Most machines will read foil in the mid 40's and maybe as high as 50 if there is a big wad BUT the Racer was reading foil anywhere between 40 - 65! and the thing that threw me off the most was that the foil signals were very steady and full and not broken up or scratchy like I found to be the case with most other machines I have used. I set the ID filter to 45 but still dug a lot of foilI am hoping with time I may be able to distinguish these foil signals from a good target.
My advice is: DO NOT sell your Dues, E Trac, F75 or AT Pro to buy a Racer, I do not think you will be upgrading. DO add the Racer to your arsenal if you can afford to. It has a couple neat things like the "headlight", Vibrating handle, and ability to have the backlight on all the time or just when a target is detected. It is known to be good at separation in iron with the 5"DD coil but I found the E trac is much better at separating against the Racer with the stock coil. I have the 5" DD on order and will take it to my "Iron" site when time permits. I also want to do a side by side with my AT Pro in the near future.

I traded my AT Pro and $75 for this new in the box Racer. I am not sure I would have put the offer out there if I hadn't had a spare AT Pro as I really like the ability to submerse the AT Pro but am happy to have this machine in addition to the AT pro.
Now the pics. 3 1/2 hours on each machine.
Racer: ground balanced at 68 Gain 85 Two Tone Mode ID Filter 45
E Trac: Mostly open screen Two Tone Ferrous Deep ON Fast OFF

I am getting used to the Racer and am starting to find some nickels now. They come in at 54. I have mainly been hunting in parks just finding clad so I've really only been focusing on coin targets and I dig way less trash than with my F5. Most of the signals between 50-80 have been bouncy so I choose not to dig. I really don't believe I've gotten my coil over and gold targets but I do need to get some practice in. All the signals 82 and above have mostly been coins so I'm happy with that.

You may test 3 tone and see if you can tell a difference in tone quality of the foil. In 2 tone I can't tell. In 3 tone junk is more hollow or washed out sometimes. Its nice to be able to check targets in both modes with one click! Racer is kind of like a deus light. Tones are everything.

Remember the tone break on Racer (ferrous over to nonferrous) is 40,
F75 series (ferrous over to nonferrous is 15)
So for example nickels read far lower on F75 vs Racer, foil too.

The VDIs are more compressed on Racer between low conductors and high conductors vs say F75.

Keep at it Choppa.

Remember the tone break on Racer (ferrous over to nonferrous) is 40,
F75 series (ferrous over to nonferrous is 15)
So for example nickels read far lower on F75 vs Racer, foil too.

The VDIs are more compressed on Racer between low conductors and high conductors vs say F75.

Keep at it Choppa.

The Racer manual itself states Foil at 45 - 50

Choppa,
You need any help or have any questions, I will try to help. I'm sure Detecting MO will as well.

Cheers and happy detecting.

You may test 3 tone and see if you can tell a difference in tone quality of the foil. In 2 tone I can't tell. In 3 tone junk is more hollow or washed out sometimes. Its nice to be able to check targets in both modes with one click! Racer is kind of like a deus light. Tones are everything.

Thanks Craig, I will give that a try today.

Day 3, day 4, ? Just checking 4 update's bro., howboutit , but I am sure it's called 4th of July time out .

Yeah had some family stuff to do over the 4th. Did get out this morning with the E trac and got a couple goodies. I will be posting under finds.

Hoping to get out with the AT Pro and Racer tomorrow or the next day. I just hate leaving the ole E trac behind LOL

Know what you mean

Love the Etrac, as the V3i is much newer to me, also bought the Sef 6x8, Sef10x12 & the Ultimate for it, but leaving the etrac behind that I have many hour's on will be tuff, but hopefully rewarding down the road, later bro.,Earl

Back
Top Bottom