How do you estimate gold in a ring

Mntnclmbr

Forum Supporter
How do you estimate the weight of the gold in a ring when it has a stone. For instance a class ring.
My college ring was nice to have back when I graduated back in 76 (1976 that is Lol).
As the price of gold goes up, at some point it makes sense to put it's value to other use.
I know the math involved in figuring gold value but other than removing the stone how do you estimate the metal weight.

How do you estimate the weight of the gold in a ring when it has a stone. For instance a class ring.
My college ring was nice to have back when I graduated back in 76 (1976 that is Lol).
As the price of gold goes up, at some point it makes sense to put it's value to other use.
I know the math involved in figuring gold value but other than removing the stone how do you estimate the metal weight.

Specific Gravity test.

You need to know the dimensions of the stone and the type of stone...or take the ring to a jeweler and tell them you would like an estimate of the weight of the stone in carats...5 carats = 1 gram....that's the conversion...then weigh the ring with the stone in and subtract out the gram weight of the stone, before using the gold calculator to determine the gold value...remember if you turn the ring into a smelter you are going to get 95% of the gold value...they will extract the stone before weighing and smelting the ring.

Or simply knock out the stone...it is worth nothing anyway to anyone but you and then only sentimental value, and weigh the remaining ring! :lol:

I think the stone is only like a gram or so, not much.

Back
Top Bottom