Sword ID

EmuDetector

Forum Supporter
So in THIS THREAD I have a sword that I found. But before/after cleaning there's not much for makers or inspectors marks on the blade. I've been digging around online and the profile appears to be a Model 1852 Officer (Navy) Saber. It is obviously broken and missing a few inches. But I was wondering if we have any folks here with some more knowledge on them or any books laying around.

The only visible marks are on the tang and are a "6" (or 9) beside a "circle". On the other side of the tang is an "A" and sticking out from a flake of rust looks like the side of a "V" which helps the Navy idea. But while there's references to blade marks online, I can't seem to find anything in the way of marks on the tangs. The area is well documented from Indians, early America exploration, Colonial, Civil War, etc. so matching area finds is kind of hard.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

----Cleaned up, better pictures:

Last edited:
I found a colonial era sword blade in 2018 and I did a lot of research trying to ID it. I do know that Naval officer swords were generally made shorter so they could move around the ship easier.

The shorter blade length fits with a Naval officer sword.

Just based on the pitting and corrosion of the steel it looks like it's been in the ground a very long time, so it's possible that it's pre-Civil War which jives with your 1852 date.

I know this isn't much help but here is what a steel sword blade looks like after being in the ground for over 200 years (before cleaning).

The condition of the steel is very similar to yours......

Attachments

• IMG_20181015_150045709 resized 1.jpg
    IMG_20181015_150045709 resized 1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 248
  • 18 inch sabre blade and shoe buckle.jpg
    18 inch sabre blade and shoe buckle.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 230
Awesome info, thank you very much! Did you ever pull makers marks or stamp info on yours? One trend I did see was the older the blades the less they seemed to be marked up.

Last edited:
There were no markings on the sword I found. The only reason I know it's colonial era is that I found a shoe buckle frame right next to it.

Sword blades are generally made of high quality steel and it takes a very long time for quality steel to reach that type of condition in typical soil conditions.

One thing is for sure, you found a sword blade that's been in the ground for a very long time in an area that's ripe with Colonial and Civil War activity. It's an awesome find and a very cool piece of history.

Back
Top Bottom