Maiden Voyage for the Coiltek 10x5 CTX Coil

Buellride

Forum Supporter
Got the Coiltek CTX 10x5 DD coil in the mail yesterday as a replacement to the stock 11"'er that had its ears break over the weekend. So today was a VERY brief hunt over ground that I have hunted numerous times. I wasn't expecting much greater depth but expected some better separation of target signals.

2nd target was this 1906 Indian Head Penny, no silver and just a few other pennies and dimes...all clad.

Was impressed with the sensitivity of the coil and stability, not that I was expecting anything different from other Coiltek coils I have had.

What was surprising was how the IHP hit on the coil...really rung up as a clad penny, high tone, but it was 6+ inches so that is really why I decided to dig it.

HH and GL All!

Attachments

• 20210304_115522.jpg
    20210304_115522.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 242
  • 20210304_120125.jpg
    20210304_120125.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 194
I wouldn't personally like that different VDI. Did it still read like a clad penny? Did it read like a zinc? That'd be ok.

Love the green. Sounds like you got a winner there.

Thanks

I wouldn't personally like that different VDI. Did it still read like a clad penny? Did it read like a zinc? That'd be ok.

Depending on the program I am running, IHPs ring up as 12-37/38 but have that slight "grunt" of the bronze. Regular pennies typically ring up as 11-37/38 and Zinc ring up as 11/12-36/37. Wheaties almost always ring up as 12-39/40.

The strange thing with this IHP is the tone was so high vice the slight "grunt".

Honestly, it is the one thing I dislike about the CTX...very hard to differentiate IHPs from clad/zinc.

Again, it may be the program(s) that I run......

Nice recovery Paul. A portent of good things to come with that new coil. Glad you got back in the game so quickly. We'll have to get out and give the new coil a more extended workout sometime in the near future.

I've been thinking of this coil lately. I typically run the 11"'er and use the 6" in trashy parks. I just find that I like my old Garrett small coil (5x8) better than the round 6" Minelab. This might be a nice compromise.

Back
Top Bottom