What's a safe way to clean a brass token?

BuscaPlata

Forum Supporter
I found this one earlier this year and is one of my favorite tokens, but would like to make it look a little better without making it look like one that has never been under the ground. The front reads GEN'L AND MRS TOM THUMB, SOUVENIR 1881, back side reads P.T.BARNUM's GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH UNITED WITH THE GREATEST LONDON CIRCUS. Appreciate the help.

Attachments

• Tom Thumb.jpg
    Tom Thumb.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 683
  • Tom Thumb 2.jpg
    Tom Thumb 2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 584
Last edited:
If you're looking to just clean it then soapy water or tooth paste and a nylon brush will work just fine. If you want to get some of the luster back to the brass then try some polishing compound and a brass brush. I use the same stropping compound paste that I use to polish and hone my knife blades and it works well. Just smear some polishing paste on it with a cloth and gently work on it with the brass brush. Rinse and repeat until you get the desired effect. Buff it with a clean cloth towel when you're done.

It does remove some metal so I wouldn't do this on a rare or valuable relic but for everyday finds like this brass badge it's fine. It will bring out some of the details and make your brass finds look a lot more interesting.

You can get the brass brushes and honing compound on Amazon fairly cheap.

Brass Brushes: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DM15R4V/ref=dp_prsubs_2

Honing compound (6000 to 8000 grit): https://www.amazon.com/Compound-Tor...8988&s=hi&sprefix=honing+com,tools,153&sr=1-4

Attachments

• IMG_20200523_164239704(2).jpg
    IMG_20200523_164239704(2).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_20210114_135531367~2(1).jpg
    IMG_20210114_135531367~2(1).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 492
If you're looking to just clean it then soapy water or tooth paste and a nylon brush will work just fine. If you want to get some of the luster back to the brass then try some polishing compound and a brass brush. I use the same stropping compound paste that I use to polish and hone my knife blades and it works well. Just smear some polishing paste on it with a cloth and gently work on it with the brass brush. Rinse and repeat until you get the desired effect. Buff it with a clean cloth towel when you're done.

It does remove some metal so I wouldn't do this on a rare or valuable relic but for everyday finds like this brass badge it's fine. It will bring out some of the details and make your brass finds look a lot more interesting.

You can get the brass brushes and honing compound on Amazon fairly cheap.

Brass Brushes: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DM15R4V/ref=dp_prsubs_2

Honing compound (6000 to 8000 grit): https://www.amazon.com/Compound-Tor...8988&s=hi&sprefix=honing+com,tools,153&sr=1-4

I do have the brass brushes, just need that compound, will order some and give it a try, thanks I appreciate it.

IMO I would not use a brass brush for artifact cleaning. Use a standard toothbrush and gentle use of the polishing compound. If you get to the "shiny brass" point then you have completely removed the original patina on that portion. I would go with the dawn and a regular toothbrush first to lighten it up, or regular toothpaste. Once you take off patina you can't put it back.

Good Luck

gentle toothbrush and wooden toothpick or plastic dental pick. water. i have ruined stuff enough. cleaning brings out pitting. i might would lightly oil it and leave it alone.

i dig a ton of chucky cheese and arcade tokens, and i use things on them to see how it works. no harm on that junk.

I tried the dawn soap and tooth brush first but didn't do much, the crud on this piece was super hard. I ordered the compound that Estima8ter suggested, it arrived yesterday, so I tried it without the oil and went just straight compound, I used a brass brush first but thought it was scratching the letters a bit too much so changed to a toothbrush and gently scrubbed away, but being an impatient old man that I am, I really put some force into it, lo and behold it started to move some of the crud, after working on it for about 10 minutes per side I grabbed some 1200 grit sandpaper and gently went over the letters for highlight. Then I used a piece of leather, put some 3 in 1 oil and added some TORMEK to it and scrubbed both sides for about 5 minutes or so. To finish it off I used some copper compound and polished it with a Dremel. I am happy with the results, at least I can tell what it reads without my magnifying glasses. Thanks guys for all the great advise! H.H.
PS, The Watch fob looks a whole lot better than the pics!

Attachments

• After.jpg
    After.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 380
  • After (2).jpg
    After (2).jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 362
Back
Top Bottom