$1,500 For the ULTIMATE Beach Machine..

Terry Soloman

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
A friend of mine called me this morning and said, "I just got a new Minelab E-trac for the beach!" I congratulated him, and we talked for a while about hunting gold nuggets with our Minelab GPX machines last winter together. Then, he asked me a question that really opened a can of worms.. "why didn't you get a Minelab for the beach?"

Here is the answer I gave him, in a nutshell.

When I was researching getting into beach and saltwater detecting, I learned that you need BOTH a good VLF machine, and a good PI machine. Why spend $1,500.00 on ONE machine that is great in the dry, and good in the water (made overseas, with a 1-3 year warranty and a month or two to fix), when you can buy a dedicated PI water detector - AND, a top of the line VLF machine for LESS MONEY (made in America, with a LIFETIME warranty and a couple of weeks to fix)?

He didn't have an answer for me. How about you? :cool:

I spent $475 for my GT (used) and $583 (new) for my DF... I have the best of both worlds... a PI is a great water machine except in area's that are iron infested...

places like New Jersey a PI is not a great choice and a detector like the Excal,CZ21 or Beachhunter are better choices...

I'm a Whites guy but the "overseas" remark what is up with that? the most purchased and best all around detector for beach hunting is made by Minelab...

A "Lifetime" guarantee doesn't mean squat... the lifetime guarantee doesn't hep in finding gold... its the machine and the operator... I'll take my chances with my detectors :lol:

Last edited:
You said it Craig........it is the machine and the operator that finds the loot!

All your brand name machines have parts made in the orient....fact of life now. Some are assembled here in the US but all your electronic components are made by robots in the orient, and it is the quality of the components, and the strick quality control by the company makes a good machine. Somehow we have this idea that the orient is nothing but a bunch of shacks with people sitting in the corner putting things together........not so anymore, they are highly mechanized with robots.

One needs to pick their machines to suit their needs. Long Island is a great place to hunt and the waters, when calm, should be very productive with a PI. BUT watch out for JAWS!

Here we go again, "my detector is better than your detector". I have all this neat stuff and a lifetime warranty, but it doesn't find gold. Yeah, I am going to rush right out and get one of those,.... NOT!!!!

Not True.

Here we go again, "my detector is better than your detector". I have all this neat stuff and a lifetime warranty, but it doesn't find gold. Yeah, I am going to rush right out and get one of those,.... NOT!!!!

I bought my Minelab GPX machines, because there is no other machine on the planet that can match them in the deserts of Arizona (or anywhere else on earth), at finding gold nuggets deep. That just doesn't hold true on the beach. There are several brands and models that can match a Minelab in a dry beach situation 0"-12", and PI units from a couple of manufactures that will - in my never humble opinion, kick BBS and FBS right in the butt.

I have never let "where it was made" stop me from buying the best, but I buy American when I can. As a businessman in Arizona, that depends on his machines to make guests and students happy, turn-around time on Minelab repairs has traditionaly been awful. So, I do factor that into my purchases, as well as warranty length. When your Company owns and uses 10 to 15 $800- $5,500.00 machines a day - it matters!

This is not about brand bashing it is about two very real and different ways of approaching the same pursuit. :cool:

He didn't have an answer for me. How about you? :cool:

You seriously overrate the "need" to own both a PI and a VLF, when you own an Excal.

My favorite saltwater machine of all time is a SHMKII and always will be.
I'm rapidly starting to like the fast handling of this little Detectorpro diver for working Lake Michigan.
Still, the Excal is a beast. Once you own one of them, you pretty much don't need to own anything else.

I don't think I'd use my minelab at the beach. I'd probably bring the DFX to find the smaller gold. Also the recovery speed just plain sucks on the e-trac.

You're probably right.

Thankfully I don't hunt a stupid beach where silver coins turn into 'cookies'. I can't say too much I suppose. Even if a beach were near me I'd probably hunt it just to see what it's like then never come back. I don't see the point. Mostly modern junk and silver looks like crap. Gold doesn't interest me that much either.

You're probably right.

Thankfully I don't hunt a stupid beach where silver coins turn into 'cookies'. I can't say too much I suppose. Even if a beach were near me I'd probably hunt it just to see what it's like then never come back. I don't see the point. Mostly modern junk and silver looks like crap. Gold doesn't interest me that much either.

I do... LA beaches will eat coins, but not the GOLD and I'm due for some more, but I have to get another detector first!. Getting a little jumpy without something to get money from the Tot Lot for my Arizona Iced Tea. :yes:

I do... LA beaches will eat coins, but not the GOLD and I'm due for some more, but I have to get another detector first!. Getting a little jumpy without something to get money from the Tot Lot for my Arizona Iced Tea. :yes:

That Arizona Iced tea tastes kinda funky.

There is this attitude with every regular beach hunter I've spoken to
around here.

If you're serious about beach hunting, then the Excal is the only way
to go.

:lalalala"

That's the thing, I'm not serious about anything, and especially don't want
the competition to think so.

:coolman:

You seriously overrate the "need" to own both a PI and a VLF, when you own an Excal.

My favorite saltwater machine of all time is a SHMKII and always will be.
I'm rapidly starting to like the fast handling of this little Detectorpro diver for working Lake Michigan.
Still, the Excal is a beast. Once you own one of them, you pretty much don't need to own anything else.

I agree with you on the Detector Pro machine but... a pulse machine is deeper than a VLF including the Excalibur... I hunt with the GT, used to hunt with the Excalibur... a pulse machine will find the deepest gold if its out there.. the Excal is a great machine its not the number 1 machine for nothing... ;)

Etrac

NEDs gave me a great deal on a etrac plus a 3 year warranty. Had it for 6 months and it's already paid off plus I have made money, all from just finds. Speaks for itself.;)

That Arizona Iced tea tastes kinda funky.

That is why I always drink Long Island Iced Tea!

JK, Lol, Milo's and McAllister's have the best iced tea. In the south we make iced tea by boiling Lipton, etc bags and physically dissolving the maximum amount of sugar possible into the tea while it is still hot.

That is why I always drink Long Island Iced Tea!

JK, Lol, Milo's and McAllister's have the best iced tea. In the south we make iced tea by boiling Lipton, etc bags and physically dissolving the maximum amount of sugar possible into the tea while it is still hot.

I had to kick Diet Coke, so I'm loaded up on the No Carb Arizona with Ginseng. That will get ya going! :shock:

Ever have "Sun Tea"?

I had to kick Diet Coke, so I'm loaded up on the No Carb Arizona with Ginseng. That will get ya going! :shock:

Sun tea is what Arizona Iced tea, made in Connecticut(?) was supposed to be based on. We get a big clear glass pickle jar and fill it up with water, then add about 10-Lipton Tea bags and a half lemon. Close it up and let it steep in the sun from 9am to 3pm. Then we pour it over Ice and Jim Beam, and chill out around Five. :cool:

Nice!

NEDs gave me a great deal on a etrac plus a 3 year warranty. Had it for 6 months and it's already paid off plus I have made money, all from just finds. Speaks for itself.;)

$1,200 in six-months is fantastic! I wonder how many folks actually pay off their machines, no matter which one they use? :cool: Would you say 10-percent? More?

Back
Top Bottom