From the Soap Box

trobaughokc

I?ve seen a lot of posts on multiple forums about a perceived hostility toward our obsession/addiction/hobby. Just feel it?s time for my two wheats worth.

I?m so concerned about keep the MD image favorable that I fill every hole I find, even the ones the dogs have dug. I don?t want someone coming in behind me and accusing that bald headed old guy of digging up ?their? park. I also carry a trash bag and pick up the busted glass and other sharp pointy things out of the playgrounds that are ignored by the ?responsible adults? that turn their kids loose to play. The only thing I won?t pick up in the parks is dog leavings. Oddly enough there is a regulation posted about owners cleaning up after their pets, but I don?t hear an outcry about closing the parks to them.

I now step down from the soap box.

Nothing wrong with your words Bob and I agree with you... I also am filling holes all the time and its up to us older, wiser (hopefully) to show the younger set hows its supposed to be done :grin:

Your right on Bob. In fact I will go the extra mile to make sure that people know that I am not damaging the area. I carry a small shaker bottle full of grass seed, and after I have removed my target, and straightened the ground, I sprinkle a little seed on the spot. I have had people say they were quite impressed that I do this. That is the kind of thing that gains the hobby respect.

hoser said:
Your right on Bob. In fact I will go the extra mile to make sure that people know that I am not damaging the area. I carry a small shaker bottle full of grass seed, and after I have removed my target, and straightened the ground, I sprinkle a little seed on the spot. I have had people say they were quite impressed that I do this. That is the kind of thing that gains the hobby respect.

Now, that's a great idea, hoser! I'll adopt it right away. Thanks for the tip.

Good advice Bob, and Hoser, I LOVE that idea about the grass seed!!! I get the occasional strange look from the dog walkers in parks and schoolyards early in the morning. I'm just waiting for one of them to say something, so I can point them to the "NO DOG" signs that are posted, and ask them to show me the "NO DETECTING" signs that don't exist!

Back
Top Bottom