Lesche Knife/digger

cfuller3

Forum Supporter
Don't know if I spelled that right. But has anyone been using it long enough to comment on how well the handle can take "palm pounding" to get it in the ground. Also how well does your palm do after banging away on it all day? I'm seeing it as a bicycle type grip and thinking one day it'll have a knife handle poking out the back of it about the time I cram my palm into it. Doesn't make me think it's as rugged as the wooden handle knife/digger I've been using. Also, your thinking about the offset blade from the handle. What's the reason and what's it do for you? :?: Been unable to find the straight, no off-set blade type knife/digger I'm using.

LESCHE Digger

I have been using the same LESCHE for 5 years (sharpened twice). The lables have all peeled off, but the handle grip and blade are still in great shape...I have pried large rocks and pieces of metal out of the dirt, that would have snapped other blades in half...If you can break one of these under normal use, you got a bad one, or your king kong...
Not sure about the offset handle...maybe to absorb shock...maybe to make digging easier...I have no clue...

HH,

This has to be the most popular digger going. Have never heard anything bad about this tool. Funny part is in 20 years of metal detecting I've never actually seen one in person. The few people in my area who hunt (and that I know) all use some other gadget. Most like some kind of knife or garden trowel.

My favorite tool is the US Ka-Bar marine knife. I've serrated the blade and have used the same knife for 20 years. No way you can break one or even bend one. I've driven it into hard ground with a length of wood like a mallet. No problem.

OT

When I got mine 5 years ago I thought the offset was designed to keep the handle and hand gaurd away from your body while in it's sheath on your belt which it does. What I found out was I actually get more leverage with the offset and using the hand gaurd to push into hard ground is easier than pounding the handle. That being said the cover on my handle has never worn through but has gotten thiner at the end over time.

I have had one for a month now. I have used quite a few different tools to dig with up till now, and this is the best I have tried. I like it.

Lesche

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like a quality tool. As far as the Mauler shovel looking deal, most of my hunting is done in school yards, parks and stuff like that. It looks like an excellent tool and one I will probably check into but it has it's place. I'm afraid if I were to drag that thing to a manicured lawn I'd get some eyebrows raised. I practice "no evidence" digging as much as I can and think the shovel wouldn't fit that image. I realize it probably does a great job and probably better than the knife... of plug cutting but having it along in a public area might get some unwanted attention. I conceal the digging knife for the most part until I need it. Great stuff on the posts guys... appreciate it. Relic hunting and field work, that Mauler looks to be one heck of a tool.

I agree that a shovel has no place in a park, no matter how well it works. The sight of a shovel turns people against metal detecting and can end up geting the parks closed to hunting. I wouldn't mind taking something like that into a field or the woods where the digging wouldn't make that much of a difference.

Thats my take on the shovel too. I really like that "Little Eagle" I think they called it. Nice size. I'll consider that for my arsenal for any field hunting. Cool. I also found the type of knife I've been using for years. It's called the Hori Hori knife. As much abuse as I've given it and for the handle just now to be showing a little rivet fatigue, it's been a good tool. Now that I found the source I have to figure whether I want to give the Lesche a try as I'm sure I'll be happy with it, or go back with the one I've carried for so many years. There are knock off's of the Hori Hori out there too.. Pressed steel instead of thicker and shaped. Mine's the thicker blade and shaped.If that makes sense.

When the whites rep let me demo the MXT, he also let me try the lesche he had. Never been sharpend and it cut through the grass like a hot knife through butter. From what I have seen of this hobby so far, is alot like so many others, it seems to me that really, you get what you pay for.

Mine is almost 10 years old now... sharpened once, used and abused. Still going strong.

This has to be the most popular digger going. Have never heard anything bad about this tool. Funny part is in 20 years of metal detecting I've never actually seen one in person. The few people in my area who hunt (and that I know) all use some other gadget. Most like some kind of knife or garden trowel.

My favorite tool is the US Kay-Bar marine knife. I've serrated the blade and have used the same knife for 20 years. No way you can break one or even bend one. I've driven it into hard ground with a length of wood like a mallet. No problem.

OT

oh yeah :) glad to hear im not the only one lol i have a cheap knock off version of a k bar and it works awsome cuts through hard ground to and keep a hand shovel in my pouch to just in case its needed

Back
Top Bottom