PA detectors better read this

Schrecky

I sent the email at the bottom of this post and the response is above it;

Dear Mr.. Schrenckengost,
Thank you VERY much for contacting us! However, digging of ANY kind on Commonwealth property without the written permission of the Division of Archaeology, Bureau for Historic Preservation, Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission is ILLEGAL - that includes Game Lands, DCNR (Oil Creek State Park, Cooks Forest, etc.), and PHMC property (Drake Well, Pithole and placed properties like the Ft. LeBoeuf Museum in Waterford or the Erie Art Museum and Erie County Historical Society properties on State Street in Erie).
You see, the items under the ground on Commonwealth property belong to all the residents of Pennsylvania, not just those folks lucky enough to own a metal detector. Items like coins help date the other artifacts found near them (like pottery shards, bones, forks or buttons) that may not have dates on them. Foreign coins prove that the people who lived at or traveled through those areas either came from or traveled to those lands or the coins could prove foreign commerce. Some people today think that this region was a wilderness in the 1860s. Those of us who live here know better but without the proof, it's going to be hard for us to prove it. When people with metal detectors steal those datable artifacts, it greatly diminishes the information archaeologists are able to piece together when an excavation is finally done. I worked on an excavation at the Battles Museums' Yellow House (Girard) once and it was evident that metal detecting had occurred. We found NO coins, nor any other metal artifacts except nails. It was VERY discouraging. Some archaeological excavations have been undertaken at Pithole and another is being planned for Oil Creek State Park (at least archaeologists from the Mercyhurst Archaeological Institute were here a couple of years ago to do research for one). I would be glad to share the information about the Pithole excavations that we found if you are interested. Please give me a call so I can have the information pulled and ready for you when you come.
Again, thank you very much for contacting us.
Sincerely,Susan J. Beates
Historian/Curator II
Drake Well Museum
202 Museum Ln.
Titusville, PA 16354
(814)827-1147 ext. 103

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 4:41 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: FW: Pithole

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2006 9:21 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Pithole

Hi, my name is Dan Schreckengost and I live in Corry, Pa. I am contacting you to see what your regulations are in regards to a hobbyist metal detector enthusiast like my self using my detector to search for old coins at your Drake Well Museum and Pithole historical locations. I am very conscience about the environment and only make small incisions in the ground to retrieve coins. I do not did larger items. There is little evidence of spots where I have dug.

I have used your trails for hiking, biking and geocacheing in the past and I would appreciate your permission to search these areas with my detector. I would be happy to share with you my finds.

Dan Schreckengost

Hope you don't mind me replying but... archaeologists are all the same.... They don't want a metal detectorist on any land anywhere... The letter is not surprising at all to me...

I wish we could ship these treehuggers to an island inhabited by godzilla :D

Sounds about right Dan. Be careful about hunting historical sites. Around here they can confiscate your detector, fine you or even put you in jail.

"When people with metal detectors steal those datable artifacts,......."

Notice that word in one of his sentences? It tells us where they are coming from, and what they think about our hobby in general.

Angel

Yeah the word STEAL jumped out at me too. The answer is that according to state law we are granted permission to hunt in state parks so long as we do not use "heavy duty" digging tools such as picks and shovels. There is a concern for the vegetation being destroyed, which is understandable. I for one question the aforementioned letter as to it's TRUTHFULLNESS . I have read the rules and regulations for each state park I have detected, as well as asked the uniformed employees, and never had a negative result. Since I have read the real state laws, there seems to be a conflict and double standard, which should not exist.
If all else fails, play stupid. You are simply exercising your right under the Pa law as you have read it.

People like the author of that letter make me want to shove a vibrating probe in the same orfice that most of them bury their noses, and turn it on to the max. :P

Bill it might be he is a detectorist himself but more likely a brainwashed treehugger ;)

I was going to respond to this post in a negative way. But by doing that, it would only put me in the same catagory as the archies, and I would not want that. Why they would call us thieves is beyond me. We would be a great asset to the historical departments all over the US. If they could, but for one brief moment, see that, then our hobby would really be opened up to a much higher level than it is now. I feel sorry for those people. To be so closed minded, and misinformed, is a sad state of affairs. All we can do is keep our noses clean, and do it right. JMHO.

Here's my take on this: As ignorant and irritating as she sounds, she may have opened a door for you. I would take her up on her invitation to "...share the information about the Pithole excavations...". I would do a little research on the Pithole, accept her invitation and show up in a coat and tie. At worst, you just might have a chance to shake up her image of metal detecting thieves! Might be fun.

I have a "back door" method which works great. I joined our township historical society as a regular dues paying member ($10 / year) because I thought I would learn more and have other research avenues. I have chatted with other members, which has opened other doors. I am now being asked by some to detect various sites. I have also found that the various societies around me network with each other, so the base has broadened. There are some "Archies" amongst them, but since I have been introduced by others, I am considered part of the gang. I am presently considering joining the "Millbrook Society" which gets into heavier duty stuff nationwide but was founded locally. For minimal dues it has been worth it, and I might add that when asking local permission, and stating that I am a member of the local historical society, I have never been refused permission as well as receiving tons of volunteered info.

Wt, that might be the way for most of us to go. It would be awfully hard for an archie to dispute the motives of a fellow historical society member. :D

Yeah, and I've NEVER been accused of stealing anything!!!!

BTW, my local hist. society is now trying to give me a "position of importance" / "paper title" in line with the hobby. They haven't come up with a name yet, but it is so that I am the contact person when it comes to MD'ing.

I have set aside some of the artifacts that I have found, which are of no real use to me, but are artifacts none the less. I am going to turn them over at an opportune time, which should keep me in everyones good graces.

If you can't fight them, join them. This seems to be really working out for you.
pop

Tell them that you will give back all rusty nails so that they can determine if the Romans were in America. Detect, take the coins, and run off with the booty! HH, Keith!

I too have started going to the Historical Society meeting's in my local town. I know that MD's have a bad name with the Historical Society, but so far they haven't given me the boot. The idea of helping the Historical Society find thing's is a great idea. I just might try that one. HH everyone. David

Well joining the local historical society may be a consideration as I have read alot of our local history and have lived most of the past 60 some years in this area, wonder if the ones here are the arche types,

Often wondered if they really do their job, the arcs, recently there was a new business wanting to build adjacent to our mall and of course there was a delay because of searching for artifacts, understandable because it was in a documented indian/settler war area, there was one hole dug in about a 10 acre field and the markers and tape were up for about 2 weeks, passed it everyday on my way to work etc, nothing was found??? (or they really didn't care or bought off) because the business is in place, what is really funny is that where they dug has to be at least 150 to 200 yards from where the building was put.

Anyone know how they pick a location out of 10 acres, sounds goofy to me but I would think they would use some type of detector to get started!

Back
Top Bottom