First Shield Nickel

Lee1968

Elite Member
I found my first Shield Nickel this afternoon. I found it in a farmer's field of all places. I am cautious about trying to clean it up much, but with a jeweler's loupe, I was able to make out the 1866 date. (Another give away were the lines between the stars. They only did that in 1866-1867.) I am happy happy happy! :D

20190429_190420 - Edited.jpg

20190429_190215 - Edited.jpg

Congrats on the shield, she is a beauty.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

A first year shield nickel is a very nice find. You have a good date ID so leave it alone.

Congratulations on uncovering a first-year shield nickel as your first one ever! :woot: Very nice find.

Congrats on a very nice find with that Shield Nickel. That one is in pretty nice shape. It is a coin I have yet to recover in my 11 years in this hobby. Trapper

A first year shield nickel is a very nice find. You have a good date ID so leave it alone.

Definitely will leave it just the way it is. I already put it away.

Congrats, Lee - what a fabulous Shield!! I love the variety with the rays between the stars - I hope I get a chance to find one of those!! Awesome that you were able to get a date off of yours!

My only Shield find was in my first year detecting and it was dateless, and I basically ruined it trying to bring the date out. TS gave sound advice to leave it be...and glad to hear you already decided to go that route!

Back
Top Bottom