Gold Chain ?????????????

Lostandfound

:mad:
So I was out playing with my Nox 800 testing a verity of objects. So I get to my 14k gold rope chain and the Nox didn't even notice it even on all metal mode. What the heck going on. Then I used a 10k chain and the machine recognized it as gold.

Then I used my White's PI machine on it and still not recognized. Blank sound.
Took out the GT and tried that. Nothing at all.

This chain was purchased at a jewelry store about 30 years ago.
It acid tested as 14k. The clasp has been replaced a few times. Could there have been a switch made?

My wife has the same chain from the same place bought at the same time. Going to test hers later.

Is the 10k a rope as well? I'm not sure what would have been used as a switch,
If it were plated stainless it should hit on the clasp anyway.
I hope it wasn't switched, your wife's chain should give you some more info, good luck!

Most clasps stick to a magnet, because of the steel spring within...

Rope links are extremely small..

Wouldn't be surprised if your wife's chain didn't hit either..

An ATP would hit it but it'd have to be close..

<°)))>{

Very odd. I'd be less inclined to think that it was switched as much as I would think it is just a hard one to pick up. If it is an 800, try gold mode and bunch up the chain to get a bigger profile.

BCD

:mad:
So I was out playing with my Nox 800 testing a verity of objects. So I get to my 14k gold rope chain and the Nox didn't even notice it even on all metal mode. What the heck going on. Then I used a 10k chain and the machine recognized it as gold.

Then I used my White's PI machine on it and still not recognized. Blank sound.
Took out the GT and tried that. Nothing at all.

This chain was purchased at a jewelry store about 30 years ago.
It acid tested as 14k. The clasp has been replaced a few times. Could there have been a switch made?

My wife has the same chain from the same place bought at the same time. Going to test hers later.

I'm with Ice Scratcher... It's the individual link size that the machine is detecting.

If it were a "fake," personally, I find them easier to find (detect a signal) than real alloy-gold.

Some rope chains have such tiny filaments for links that you're basically trying to hit on gold wire. Best thing I can suggest is to air test with it essentially touching the coil, then moving it away.

Remember too if 1/4 gram nugget often will ring up in iron range. You're really trying to find something that is smaller than that! It's why chains are so blasted hard to find.

Regards,

Skippy

Most clasps stick to a magnet, because of the steel spring within...

Rope links are extremely small..

Wouldn't be surprised if your wife's chain didn't hit either..

An ATP would hit it but it'd have to be close..

<°)))>{

Stick with the pro. Nox is the next big thing right irons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gold chains can be hard to detect. And even with a Nox. Gold rope chains are real hard to pick up. If it was junk it would likely have hit hard:lol:

Gold chains can be hard to detect. And even with a Nox. Gold rope chains are real hard to pick up. If it was junk it would likely have hit hard:lol:

Very true..

Junkers always hit plenty hard.. Usually plated brass..

<°)))>{

Attachments

• 293.jpg
    293.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 363
Tried that read nothing.
Here is a picture of the two chains.
10k is on the left 14k right

Mail me those chains and I'll see how they detect with my machine. :laughing:

Okay not really. I don't have enough EXP with chains and the Nox, but I did test with some much smaller chains at home and they hit.

BCD

Your PI is a beach detector and it has too long a minimum pulse delay to Policies up the chain. Previous ML FBS/BBS machines are not great on small link chains. Your 800 should pick it up in Gold mode - try the default Multifreq as well as the single 40 kHz freq.

Fake gold is plated copper/brass and is easier to detect than 14k gold.

A lot of machines have a hard time picking up chains. Of any meatal. I don't know why bust assume because of how thin they are. My Safari will pick them up but with a low tone.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Ask yourself this......... if replaced what metal was used? Obviously not copper or a high conductor. Even good SS will be picked up. So i wouldnt doubt that thats gold if the machine isnt picking it up. If you are using beach mode...... especially 2 remember its got a salt setting and reduced power. We arent going to get some gold guys....... plan and simple thats why ive been begging ML to do some tweaking to the beach modes if they are going to give us an update........ perfect time to do that.

Just seen that picture...... clearly with that hasp it should pick that up. Try field mode 2........ or gold mode just to see what the digit id is. What setting are you using?

Last edited:
Ask yourself this......... if replaced what metal was used? Obviously not copper or a high conductor. Even good SS will be picked up. So i wouldnt doubt that thats gold if the machine isnt picking it up. If you are using beach mode...... especially 2 remember its got a salt setting and reduced power. We arent going to get some gold guys....... plan and simple thats why ive been begging ML to do some tweaking to the beach modes if they are going to give us an update........ perfect time to do that.

Just seen that picture...... clearly with that hasp it should pick that up. Try field mode 2........ or gold mode just to see what the digit id is. What setting are you using?

Gold mode picked it up with a faint signal. I just don't understand why the Whites PI doesn't respond to it.:?:

Back
Top Bottom