Testing the waters for custom made digging tools

Iaddrummer

Seriously thinking about building custome built digging tools both shovels and hand diggers just trying to see how many would be interested and also what styles would you like. I will be building out of stainless steel and my goal is to build high quality tools at about half the price of the big boys just wondering what you guys think

Something similar to any of the Lesche or Predator tools at a discounted price would be nice.

Something like a 2.5 foot shovel, 3" wide and 9" long at the blade, for instance. Just spitballing. Not sure what best dimensions would be, but something in the blade that's longer and narrower than what's out there would be great.

re

got to get some materials and some gas for the tig machine then i will be ready to go the plan is to let the customer decide what they want so i dont build up a bunch and then have people like oh well i would rather have this or that so i just let them decide and go from there. im not looking to get rich or go into mass production i figure if i help put tools in the hands of people that are good quality at a fraction of what is out there i will be happy

If you can produce the same quality as a Lesche shovel for half the cost, you will have a lot of customers.

My personal thoughts on this.... you can't do it. These items cost what they do because quality materials cost $$. Welding, braking, punches, and CNC machines cost $$$$$. Your time is worth $$$. Can you produce quality items cheaper? sure, but you are going to be doing it without paying yourself for the work you do. OR you are going to be doing a LOT of work by hand without the CNC, etc. so your production rate will be so low that you can't keep customers happy and soon people stop ordering because they don't want to wait for weeks for your next batch to be ready.

Good luck in your venture!

Hey if you like to make stuff , give it a try . Sounds like you want to combine your skills with your Md hobby . Everything is not about how much $$ you make , or I think there would be a lot more MDs for sale . I go along with the idea's above especially if you make a good scoop , some say it can't be done better or cheaper . Now if we all think like that we would be still be riding horse's.
Good Luck and Have Fun
HH

If you can produce the same quality as a Lesche shovel for half the cost, you will have a lot of customers.

My personal thoughts on this.... you can't do it. These items cost what they do because quality materials cost $$. Welding, braking, punches, and CNC machines cost $$$$$. Your time is worth $$$. Can you produce quality items cheaper? sure, but you are going to be doing it without paying yourself for the work you do. OR you are going to be doing a LOT of work by hand without the CNC, etc. so your production rate will be so low that you can't keep customers happy and soon people stop ordering because they don't want to wait for weeks for your next batch to be ready.

Good luck in your venture!

Hahaha! Wow. Way to rally 'em! :laughing:

I'm sure that Ford's dad said he'd never build a car at a profit, either. You go for it laddrummer! Not every venture will be a success from a business standpoint, but they are all successes in learning! Bring what you got!

Hahaha! Wow. Way to rally 'em! :laughing:

I'm sure that Ford's dad said he'd never build a car at a profit, either. You go for it laddrummer! Not every venture will be a success from a business standpoint, but they are all successes in learning! Bring what you got!

You can "laugh" all you want. You know why 90% of small business fails? Because the owner doesn't understand basic business principles. Henry Ford succeeded because he did understand the business world and came up with a new process to reduce costs and increase production at the same time. If the OP has an idea like this, the GOOD FOR HIM! I wish him the best and I will gladly buy my next digging tools from him.

Being realistic about a venture isn't an insult and isn't negative, it's being honest. Apparently some can't comprehend that. :roll:

What grade stainless steel are you going to use, and why choose stainless over other types of steel?

Lesche Enterprises uses 4130 chrome-moly, heat treated and tempered steel for all their digging tools. Some of their tools are additionally parkerized.

Like Diggum I would like to see a 9' X 4" blade. With a 6" T handle. With the handle welded on the shovel like the lesche. I believe that that style of weldin the handle adds a great deal of strength.

What grade stainless steel are you going to use, and why choose stainless over other types of steel?

Lesche Enterprises uses 4130 chrome-moly, heat treated and tempered steel for all their digging tools. Some of their tools are additionally parkerized.

stainless because i have access to it probably going to be running 316 stainless. chrome-oly is strong but is a pain to weld has to be pre heated and babied otherwise no fusion or penetration on the welds.

as for the attatchment i am going to attach the shovel and handle a little differently but im very sure it will be just as strong a joint as the lesch

If you can produce something similar to the Samson or the Predator shovels for half the price I will certainly be a buyer.

I would like one made like the Predator 58 LT Dixie, 40" overall length with the T handle. We talked about this before and I still think It would pay off. How are you coming along with the Eldorado ?

Back
Top Bottom