po-mans wireless headphones

toyboy

Here's a poor man's wireless bluetooth headphones.
About 20 bucks on ebay.
Pics:

Attachments

• 20150804_115300_1438713467533_2.JPG
    20150804_115300_1438713467533_2.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 633
  • 20150804_115409_1438713468093_3.JPG
    20150804_115409_1438713468093_3.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 592
  • 20150804_115210_1438713466971_1.JPG
    20150804_115210_1438713466971_1.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 563
No i didn't.i just tried it real quick and i noticed no lag.
1 bluetooth transmitter velcroed to side and a pair of bluetooth headphones.
Of course with the Garrett detector you need the adapter to get around their
Proprietary plug.

I went with Bluetooth over three years ago. Everytime Bluetooth comes up, someone always complains about a horrible lag... I've never noticed a problem, I pinpoint just fine. Still don't see how if there is some lag, how it's so bad, Bluetooth is worthless. It's a good choice for going wireless. You don't have to buy a new, complete set, if either the transmitter, or headphones fail, just replace the faulty half. Not stuck with one type/style headphone, huge variety of Bluetooth headphones to choose from. I prefer a single earpiece, they are light, leaves the other ear open, so I stay aware of what's going on around me.

Never been curious enough to hook it up to the TV, and see if the audio syncs with the video. I'm sure if there is any lag, it would be like watching a foreign made film, with english dubbed in. Some people can't stand it, others still enjoy the movie...

Wireless was the best choice I made, I'm tall, and dealing with the cord was the biggest pain, sometimes literally, when it got snagged on something, or I reach a little too far from the detector.

I went out for a couple of hours today and it worked fine.those tiny Bluetooth
ear buds are nice and lite.i can adjust the volume and i can still hear what's
going on around me.sync. between the 2 units went without a hitch and they kept their sync. everytime I turned them back on.that wired setup I was using
started to get on my nerves--either the garrett headphones were uncomfortable or the adapter (1/4-1/8) was not working properly and kept losing connection.also,the long wire always got in my way.
now I'm in bliss...

I went out for a couple of hours today and it worked fine.those tiny Bluetooth
ear buds are nice and lite.i can adjust the volume and i can still hear what's
going on around me.sync. between the 2 units went without a hitch and they kept their sync. everytime I turned them back on.that wired setup I was using
started to get on my nerves--either the garrett headphones were uncomfortable or the adapter (1/4-1/8) was not working properly and kept losing connection.also,the long wire always got in my way.
now I'm in bliss...

Can't beat that!

I went with Bluetooth over three years ago. Everytime Bluetooth comes up, someone always complains about a horrible lag... I've never noticed a problem, I pinpoint just fine. Still don't see how if there is some lag, how it's so bad, Bluetooth is worthless. It's a good choice for going wireless. You don't have to buy a new, complete set, if either the transmitter, or headphones fail, just replace the faulty half. Not stuck with one type/style headphone, huge variety of Bluetooth headphones to choose from. I prefer a single earpiece, they are light, leaves the other ear open, so I stay aware of what's going on around me.

Wireless was the best choice I made, I'm tall, and dealing with the cord was the biggest pain, sometimes literally, when it got snagged on something, or I reach a little too far from the detector.

I just ordered a dongle off Amazon. I'm going to give this a try. I too have always read about the lag, so I avoided trying this. I am tall as well and the cord can be a PIA. This greatly improved however with the location of the cord now being on the elbow (F70) as opposed to the side of the unit itself like my previous machine. Still, the cord is a pain and I'd rather not have it. I hope this works :D

I plan on pairing it with a pair of LG BT headphones that I have charged twice in the last two years (I kid you not) Well see just how long they last now :lol:

So I tried this out this past weekend. I hunted some trashy ground with the F70 using the 5" coil. This seemed to work like a charm. I did have a harder time pinpointing, but I believe that was simply cause of all the trash. I also had a hard time ground balancing for the same reason...

This is a mod I thought about when I first got into the hobby and all the posts I read stated that there was a lag and it would never work. I'm sorry I didn't try this sooner. Now, I still have some more experimenting to do in an open field with a lot less targets, but I can't see why this would not work.

I invested a whole $15 on the BT dongle off Amazon. I think that older versions of BT may have had a lag issue, but with the newer headsets supporting A2DP, I think that issue has been resolved.

Before I tried it out in the field, I air tested it. I passed a quarter in front of my coil 20 times as fast as I could, and my lightning fast F70 picked up every single pass with no lag at all.

I'll update this post with my final conclusions in the next few weeks as I don't get to swing every day.

Thanks to the OP for posting this and inspiring me to try it. Wireless is freedom and I love freedom!

Can you post a link to the dongle so that I know I'm purchasing the correct one?

I had a really cheap pair of headphones last year that worked very well, but the wire did drive me crazy.

Wireless Headphones

I can't understand why detector manufacturers don't make more detectors with wireless built in. I for one would pay more if the headphones were small like this where you could wear most any type of hat. White's really missed an opportunity with the V3 wireless headphones. Those things are huge, heavy and uncomfortable.

Back
Top Bottom