Lost and found jewelry

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
There seems to be a fine line between giving back jewelry we find and many of the new web sites popping up. I heard a rumor some of the sites are wanting to go beyond helping people find jewelry or finding owners of the jewelry they have found. Some might now be going on websites like ours and posting OUR finds. If thats so i find that despicable that a person would do that for a reward or just a pat on the back. Is it coming to this? For those of us in Fl who have a year round hunting season for recent drops this is especially concerning. Most of us give back or willing help people find their lost items if possible. We each have our moral compass about returns. Like many i know here i put a lot of time into hunting and at this point dont post very many of my finds. Id give back anything someone asked for..... but this would make me hot to know someone is out there trying to make a buck not because he wanted to help..... but because he saw dollar signs. Some of us know of people who follow craigs list just to find out where something has been lost.... so they can put it in their pocket rather that return it. shame on them. My intent is not to say there isnt some great sites out there doing good things by trying to get jewelry back to the people who ASKS for help. But id be upset if any of them added a section for photo of jewelry WE found without our permission. Just interested to see what people think about this and how would that affect your posting?

Dew

I'm about to leave to hit low tide but figured I would make a quick reply for now. This is disturbing and if true I can only assume our posting activities would have to change. There would be alot more PMing of finds to trusted people. I did a quick google image search using some of the more recent good finds on this forum and didn't get any matches so hopefully this is just an 'urban legend' type rumor started by a paranoid detectorist....and while I may be occasionally a bit on the paranoid side, it wasn't me.:laughing:

I'm almost out the door myself just getting a little breakfast. Yes this is why I quit posting. I agree with you Dew 100%. You need to tell us who's been doing this so we can address the people or persons about this. Or at the very least name the sites that this is happening on.
DC

Pictures would become a thing of the past...

For those of us in Fl who have a year round hunting season for recent drops this is especially concerning. Most of us give back or willing help people find their lost items if possible. Id give back anything someone asked for..... but this would make me hot to know someone is out there trying to make a buck not because he wanted to help..... but because he saw dollar signs. Some of us know of people who follow craigs list just to find out where something has been lost.... so they can put it in their pocket rather that return it. shame on them.

oh, um....i guess its shame on me..... :D

If I find a fresh drop that isn't generic like a wedding band I don't post it.

Nothing but pop tabs and bottle caps out here folks.

Heard the same thing Dew... pretty soon we all will be posting crusty zincs and fishing weights... ;)

Finders Keeper's Rule

Is what I go by unless the person that lost the item is on the beach , asked me , and a reward , or fee, is given for our time & service , otherwise if they really wanted it bad enough, they would go buy the equipment that cost a bundle and do the job there self , as far as posting fresh drop's that's up to you if you like :ohthedrama:, Earl :pirates:

Is what I go by unless the person that lost the item is on the beach , asked me , and a reward , or fee, is given for our time & service , otherwise if they really wanted it bad enough, they would go buy the equipment that cost a bundle and do the job there self , as far as posting fresh drop's that's up to you if you like :ohthedrama:, Earl :pirates:

X2! :yes:

back to the OP's topic, if i'm not mistaken, i think we even had a former member on here who had stolen another member's photo of an expensive find and posted it on the lost and founds.... totally behind the back of the finder!
for that reason, one of my significant finds and the story probably isn't going to posted any time soon.

well ..... don't forget guys: There is lost & found laws ALREADY in all 50 states. You know, born out of wandering cattle laws of the 1800s type-thing. And the law of each state read something to the effect that a person finding an object over a given value (usually like $100 or whatever), is technically required to turn it in to the police.

So what are we afraid of ? Since we're all "rushing to the police station" every time we find a ring over that value criteria anyhow, right ? :?:

well ..... don't forget guys: There is lost & found laws ALREADY in all 50 states. You know, born out of wandering cattle laws of the 1800s type-thing. And the law of each state read something to the effect that a person finding an object over a given value (usually like $100 or whatever), is technically required to turn it in to the police.

So what are we afraid of ? Since we're all "rushing to the police station" every time we find a ring over that value criteria anyhow, right ? :?:

:toofunny:

the last cop who i chatted with asked me if i ever find anything good and actually congratulated me when i mentioned i found a really nice ring a while ago. :lol:

Last edited:
I for one do not return items unless either asked to look for them or the full name is on it. I have had good and bad times returning things. So if someone sees my find and says hey that is mine I want it back. I say no identification on it so it could be anyone's. They make multiple of the same one so sorry.

If I find a fresh drop that isn't generic like a wedding band I don't post it.

Nothing but pop tabs and bottle caps out here folks.

Yeah I post my old stuff because the losers are either 6 feet under or sitting in a chair drooling :yes:

Already checked with the local beach po po! They said keep it. They would!:lol:

:nothingtoadd:

I'm all for returning stuff as I love that feeling over money but I'd not be happy if someone started posting my finds like that. This is how posts would start looking.... if at all...

Attachments

• todays finds.jpg
    todays finds.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 839
Back
Top Bottom