Excalibur II Battery pod blow up & Recommendation

The Traveler

Some may have seen this thread from my vacation: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=145668. I am starting a new one to get right to the point so people dont have to wade through the evolution of the original.

Characters in this story: Excal II, original battery (3 years old, but only has a couple hundred hours on it), and the maxxpacks/toolbay/onlybatteries smart charger.

Background: I plugged in the battery to the charger and 5 hours later the battery pod exploded and laid on the ground in two seperate pieces (see pic). At the time, the battery was too hot to hold, but there was no sign of damage to it. It has been charged and used several times since with no change in function or capacity.

Response from Jeffrey Peterson, Onlybatterypacks Inc.: "Hi have seen this with old pods. When you charge a battery in the pod the internal pressure builds up because the battery expands. Older pods become brittle with age and cannot take the pressure... And they fail. The newer pods are molder out a much better material than the old acrylic."

My take: A swelling battery may crack the pod, but I can't believe it would split it in two with a sound like a gunshot. It also doesn't explain why the charger was still applying power 5 hours later. I think that something within the pod caused a short and the charger was simultaneously charging while the battery was discharging through the short. The heat from the short expanded the air in the chamber, and in combination with the swelled battery, blew the pod. I think I am fortunate that the pod blew prior to the battery completely failing.

Unfortunately, I dont know what caused the short. It may have been condensation, but I think any water would have evaporated under that kind of heat. It may have been in the battery, but that should have ruined the battery or at least kept the battery from operating normally since.

Recommendation: Since I don't know what caused the short, I cannot recommend a fix. But I will recommend how to avoid blowing up your pod. Unplug your smart charger after 20 minutes. And always have a backup available.

Other factors eliminated: I was in a foriegn country, but the electricity is stable and 120. There is no significant difference in elevation. I have used the same combination of battery/charger with success there in previous trips.

Attachments

• pod pic.jpg
    pod pic.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,678
Are the batteries Lith? Moisture and Lith dont get along. The battery packs do get hot so there has to be some expansion before the heat can be released thru the pod its self. Also..... was that the ML rechargable or the one not water proof? I believe they are made of cheaper plastic as well.

Dew

It looks like the alke pack?
Ok, a closer look it looks like the regular...the alkes are made of a different plastic.

This is the original minelab pod and battery. If it matters, I have never opened it. The website says the batteries are NiMH.

Aquaman: No, it didn't split on the mold line. I would have expected that also. The charger you are using is a general charger with an adapter for the excal. Onlybatterypacks was selling those for the excal up to a couple years ago, right when I was looking. They went to the new one at the time that is hardwired for the excal. I talked to a person there first to assure me it was the correct one. Here is the link: http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=12515.48

I wish I had measured the thickness of the plastic, I still can't imagine it could do that.

Obviously I am in the market for two pods and another battery. I see the alkaline pods on Ebay by the bushel. It scares me that OBN says they are made of lesser plastic.

Thanks for the update Traveler. I followed your other post very carefully as I also travel with my detectors all summer. I am a firm believer, my AA pod is the first thing I pack in my detector bag. After your experience, and what friends of mine do, I am going to replace my 3 year old battery pack now, before it shorts out also. It is starting to get low on use time before having to be recharged, so why push it. Thanks for the update and report.

As for the possibility of condensation....I learned from other posts about putting a couple of small silicone packs that come in medicine bottles inside of the battery pod when you change batteries. I didn't have any, but Walgreen's gave me four of them when I asked the Pharmacists.

Has M/L had anything to say about this? This would have been a product liability legal issue had anyone been hurt by an exploding battery pack.

I would believe since it is a diving detector that the pack would be under a vacuum so the pressure equalized down below, that would account for some of the pop heard.
Short of that I don't know. A friend of mine kept bringing electronics to me to repair, Turns out his apartment wiring was to blame, a neutral wire had been wired incorrectly and would occasionally surge and wipe out whatever was plugged in and on.

Your pod was 3 years old and very brittle. Add to that a load of heat,expansion and humidity and something has to give! Nothing happened to the battery "per Se", the sound you heard was the the acrylic pod being blown in 2.
Shame it wrecked your vacay' though. easy but pricey fix.

I would believe since it is a diving detector that the pack would be under a vacuum so the pressure equalized down below, that would account for some of the pop heard.
Short of that I don't know. A friend of mine kept bringing electronics to me to repair, Turns out his apartment wiring was to blame, a neutral wire had been wired incorrectly and would occasionally surge and wipe out whatever was plugged in and on.

No, there is no change to the internal pressure due to depth. They wouldn't ever put a negative pressure on a pressure vessel because that would INCREASE the overall force, not lessen it.

I do know one other person this happen to, But his caught fire I believe.

Here is a few pic's of results of the battery compare. All have the same casting marks. But the weight difference is a good bit. Each was weighted and all were fairly consistant with the picture of the scales....taking in account the lack of decals.

Attachments

• OBN0016.jpg
    OBN0016.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 1,697
  • OBN0015 (2).jpg
    OBN0015 (2).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,239
In looking for two new pods, a new recharcheable battery and the alkaline insert, these are the best prices I found:

Minelab OEM pod and NiMH battery = $165 (Ebay, Kellyco, Amazon)
Minelab alkaline insert and pod = $87 (Ebay, Kellyco, Amazon)
Maxxpack replacement NiMH battery only = $41 (Ebay)

I have a message in to Andrew at NED, but no reply. Does anyone have a better and/or cheaper source?

I went with Lipo batteries a couple of years ago and have not looked back, they are half the weight and last 3 to 4 times longer. I've got 6 pods converted over to Lipo and have had zero problems.
You can get them on E-bay or at any hobby shop that sells remote control cars and planes.

Good luck!
DSC02345_zps70d50070.jpg

DSC02349_zps5f29d368.jpg

Stump, That is very interesting. I don't know much about electricity, but I guess the machine doesn't care as long as it is getting power?

Do you have a source for those alkaline pods?
Do you need a special charger for those batteries?
Does that monitor just test the voltage or go in with the battery?

Se eu usar essa bateria da certo ???
f990c3c847b62bfca0464e2cbaa1b675.jpg

I went with Lipo batteries a couple of years ago and have not looked back, they are half the weight and last 3 to 4 times longer. I've got 6 pods converted over to Lipo and have had zero problems.
You can get them on E-bay or at any hobby shop that sells remote control cars and planes.

Good luck!
DSC02345_zps70d50070.jpg

DSC02349_zps5f29d368.jpg

I don’t if they do or not. I had 3 of um. All 3 dropped below the charging ability of their charger. They recommended using the ML charger to bring it back. So their charger ain’t to smart. This is an old thread. Never had one explode charging generates heat.... the longer the charge the more heat and if for some reason you have a bad cell the charger don’t know that and keeps pumping the juice. Now the RNB battery is the BEST out therr

I don’t if they do or not. I had 3 of um. All 3 dropped below the charging ability of their charger. They recommended using the ML charger to bring it back. So their charger ain’t to smart. This is an old thread. Never had one explode charging generates heat.... the longer the charge the more heat and if for some reason you have a bad cell the charger don’t know that and keeps pumping the juice. Now the RNB battery is the BEST out therr

Amen to that Dew!

Could it be that the wires were backwards and that will blow it a part and make them batteries real hot too!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom