why the hate for the ctx

mooncusser

ive read posts by electro and ive learned from his posts sure he tests minelabs but he also doesnt hide the fact. sorry to see him go.

nobody is bashing the excal its a top of the line heater, made by the same company that makes the ctx.

sure the ecal costs alot less but is it a top of the line machine in dirt , i dont think so. thats why the ctx shines its top of the line in water and dirt (havent tested it yet in dirt but have seen the posts of extrac hunters and explorer hunters).

im not writing a book , lol i cant spell nor do i do testing or have stock in minelab. after using the excal, sov, for 10 plus years im sure this is deeper than both machines. it also finds targets others miss that are under or next to iron. i took my excal in the backyard put a gold ring about 7 inches deep with bottle caps buried beside it and above it my excal gave the bottlecap noise with no hint of gold even with the wobble. the ctx showed the gold target along with the bottle caps on the screen also by swinging coil slowely i heard a low tone of gold and a higher tone that was the bottlecaps. the excal missed this ring.

so far i really like this machine and thats just in factory presets , im sure it will get better and better with tweaks. i do not like the headphones (koss) but they are the same ones that come with the excal. im going to get waterproof greyghosts for this heater.

i guess if you just do beach hunting i can see why some prefer the excal due to price not performance IMHO. I do both dirt and water and the advantage for me is i can get used to one machine (tones) instead of using excal and explorer. if you hunt beaches that arent full of iron the duelfield you cant go wrong with for less cost than both machines for water hunting.

last point madmax is liking his new heater , i have alot of respect for his knowledge on metal detectors esp minelabs and if he is keeping his new heater as it looks so far to me that says alot hh jim

No hate just waiting for other CTX hunters to demo similar good fortunes. So far (at least here at FMDF) its been "meager" to quote someone I have a ton of trust and respect in/for.

ive read posts by electro and ive learned from his posts sure he tests minelabs but he also doesnt hide the fact. sorry to see him go.

nobody is bashing the excal its a top of the line heater, made by the same company that makes the ctx.

sure the ecal costs alot less but is it a top of the line machine in dirt , i dont think so. thats why the ctx shines its top of the line in water and dirt (havent tested it yet in dirt but have seen the posts of extrac hunters and explorer hunters).

im not writing a book , lol i cant spell nor do i do testing or have stock in minelab. after using the excal, sov, for 10 plus years im sure this is deeper than both machines. it also finds targets others miss that are under or next to iron. i took my excal in the backyard put a gold ring about 7 inches deep with bottle caps buried beside it and above it my excal gave the bottlecap noise with no hint of gold even with the wobble. the ctx showed the gold target along with the bottle caps on the screen also by swinging coil slowely i heard a low tone of gold and a higher tone that was the bottlecaps. the excal missed this ring.

so far i really like this machine and thats just in factory presets , im sure it will get better and better with tweaks. i do not like the headphones (koss) but they are the same ones that come with the excal. im going to get waterproof greyghosts for this heater.

i guess if you just do beach hunting i can see why some prefer the excal due to price not performance IMHO. I do both dirt and water and the advantage for me is i can get used to one machine (tones) instead of using excal and explorer. if you hunt beaches that arent full of iron the duelfield you cant go wrong with for less cost than both machines for water hunting.

last point madmax is liking his new heater , i have alot of respect for his knowledge on metal detectors esp minelabs and if he is keeping his new heater as it looks so far to me that says alot hh jim

ahh forgot, i do mding and fishing for a hobby and i share my spots in both spots and encourage both hobbies , i dont mind others detecting with me as there is enough for all. i would probably hope nobody gets the ctx or duelfield or any watermachine to keep down the hunters in the water but honestly im the complete opposite and believe in the motto treat others like you would want to be treated hh jim

I do not think that there is hatred ....
just a slight irritation of the advertisement incorrectly ... :)

ahh forgot, i do mding and fishing for a hobby and i share my spots in both spots and encourage both hobbies , i dont mind others detecting with me as there is enough for all. i would probably hope nobody gets the ctx or duelfield or any watermachine to keep down the hunters in the water but honestly im the complete opposite and believe in the motto treat others like you would want to be treated hh jim

That's a great attitude...really:yes: I'm sure you'd be one of those guys I'd make a point to talk to on my hunt, say hello, shoot the $hit & compare finds. I've got a good friend who's selling his Etrac and his back up Excal to buy a 3030. I'm nervous for him honestly but also hope he does really well with it. Him doing well on my home turf would encourage me to consider doing something similar. I'm not willing to be the $3000 guinnea pig though:D

I can attest to that, Jim has helped me tremendously already with water hunting and he's a great guy.

I don't think people hate the CTX. It was the organized wave of great CTX finds and publicity that came over the forum like a wave. Almost all the posts were from people that had an interest in the machine selling. It was pretty obvious as soon as it happened and some members questioned it. It turned me off to buying one.There is a fine balance between saying just enuf and saying too much. They crossed that line right away to me. I've only been a member for a little over a year but in that time we had the wave of Kellyco girls,then the Tesoro Sand Shark tsunami and now the Minelab CTX show. After a few months all the commotion will clear and some real opinions will be posted after months of use not a few weeks. Ask Max,he likes it one day but not the next. I'll judge it by the after the honeymoons over opinions. This is just my opinion, feel free to disagree. :D
Ps. I am a Minelab guy,I own 4 of them and they turned me off to the CTX.:(

I don't think people hate the CTX. It was the organized wave of great CTX finds and publicity that came over the forum like a wave. Almost all the posts were from people that had an interest in the machine selling. It was pretty obvious as soon as it happened and some members questioned it. It turned me off to buying one.There is a fine balance between saying just enuf and saying too much. They crossed that line right away to me. I've only been a member for a little over a year but in that time we had the wave of Kellyco girls,then the Tesoro Sand Shark tsunami and now the Minelab CTX show. After a few months all the commotion will clear and some real opinions will be posted after months of use not a few weeks. Ask Max,he likes it one day but not the next. I'll judge it by the after the honeymoons over opinions. This is just my opinion, feel free to disagree. :D
Ps. I am a Minelab guy,I own 4 of them and they turned me off to the CTX.:(

Well put!! LOL. It was like their marketing department was on the forums. I like how the sponsors here disclose that they are a sponsor in their signature, maybe those guys should have to do so too. Another forum has very blurred lines between sponsorship, membership, and even moderation.

I have not seen the Kellyco Girls post in a while, using them was genius:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/member.php?u=4083

http://metaldetectingforum.com/member.php?u=16383

The 3030 seems to be a beautiful well made machine. I would never say anything negative about a machine I have not used but a certain poster used the opportunity to advertise himself or maybe for ML by showing fantastic finds that were not realistic in my world.

FMDF has a sponsor section. If you are selling anything including books or machines it needs to be there. Those posts "appeared" to be advertisements. They were not finds shown on paper plates or napkins like the rest of us do. They "seemed" like slick advertisements hidden as something else. As far as the machine goes, I love to see posts by guys like Max and others who are learning it. Reality and an honest review is what I like. Honesty in our hobby is part of who we are and what we post. Otherwise you are just another Midas.

i'm just tryin to justify if its 1000 bucks better then what i already own......more bells & whistles can also equal more things that can go wrong, esp when first released

The 3030 seems to be a beautiful well made machine. I would never say anything negative about a machine I have not used but a certain poster used the opportunity to advertise himself or maybe for ML by showing fantastic finds that were not realistic in my world.

FMDF has a sponsor section. If you are selling anything including books or machines it needs to be there. Those posts "appeared" to be advertisements. They were not finds shown on paper plates or napkins like the rest of us do. They "seemed" like slick advertisements hidden as something else. As far as the machine goes, I love to see posts by guys like Max and others who are learning it. Reality and an honest review is what I like. Honesty in our hobby is part of who we are and what we post. Otherwise you are just another Midas.

+1

Im not knocking the machine at all.... i think it all about the price. Based on that price i cant put all my eggs in one basket until someone dunks this baby consistently and can say it will replace an Xcal without needing constant repairs. So now what am i looking at if it cant.... an expensive machine for wet and dry sand when there are proven machines ALMOST as good being used. This is just how some of us are looking at it...... which has nothing to do with the machines capability. If we dont get it will those that do get more finds? Heck we already know some people are going to get more finds any way.... we also know no one gets it all. BUT.... then this is a hobby of fun and finding an edge, that would be one fun machine to play around with. I for one dont want you to think my posts are directed at you in any way. I think you are giving some great information. Its just like those who bought the ET and those who stayed with the Explorer, when they argue the machine what do they end the argument with.... FOR THE PRICE.

Dew

I'm holding off as well...Seems like a nice machine with some new and amazing features, but i'm most concerned abut reliability over the longer term.... I don't live in the US and the thought of having to send it in for service for some stupid little fix would mean a TON of paperwork, probably additional import taxes when it came back in to Mexico and at minimum months without a machine.....
It could very well be the best thing since bottled beer taste in a can, or it could be plagued with problems like the early at pro, only time will tell....
I'll stick with my sov gt and excal until the ctx proves itself a bit more....

Honest opinions

of the 3030 will be forthcoming. In a couple weeks all the threads you see now will be relegated to page three. Hardly anyone goes that deep.

There will be highly regarded owners giving positive, negative, or nuetral opinions on the operational aspects, durability, and value compared to other high end machine.

You may then gather all the info, separate the wheat from the chaff, or the bs and hype from the facts and decide if this is the way you want to go.

This looks like a fine piece of gear, but I can tell you I will stick with the machines I have now. For what this tool costs, I can replace all 3 of my White's with brand new ones and have enough left over for batteries and gas for a long time.

Last edited:
of the 3030 will be forthcoming. In a couple weeks all the threads you see now will be relegated to page three. Hardly anyone goes that deep.

There will be highly regarded owners giving positive, negative, or nuetral opinions on the operational aspects, durability, and value compared to other high end machine.

You may then gather all the info, separate the wheat from the chaff, or the bs and hype from the facts and decide if this is the way you want to go.

This looks like a fine piece of gear, but I can tell you I will stick with the machines I have now. For what this tool costs, I can replace all 3 of my White's with brand new ones and have enough left over for batteries and gas for a long time.

Agreed grinsbring, the CTX is nothing more than a shiney new tool. Kinda reminds me of those $12,000 hammers the govt was selling a while back though. Still...no subforum for the brand new kid on the block? It would be nice to have all that new CTX 3030 info in one concise/compact place.

+1 on th CTX subforum...and password it so all the rest of us don't have to see 'CTX' ten times per page when we hit 'new posts'. Thx in advance. hahaha

I'm whatever on the CTX.....it kinda seems like a XXX swinging contest in a way....look at me...I dropped $2,500 on a detector! It just doesn't do it for me.

It's not like the CTX is an alchemist's wand that turns lead weights into gold rings. I'd wager a donkey punch that the CTX is not the holy grail....really sweet machine, but is it REALLY that much better than an Excal or whatever the current flavor of the month is? That remains to be seen...

Agree with

Hot Rod Tom,Dog Pound,Stavr,Gordonquixote,Imalookin2,Maybe the CTX3030,along with the ATpro,multi purpose semi waterproof machine's good only to, 10ft. should have a semi forum,all sale's handled by the sponcor's,all info found on the All About Detector's & How to use Your Metal Detector forum's,no hate here,look's,sound's like a good machine,but it's not desired by me,as i have waterproof 200ft machine's for the water,Etrac &F75se for land,i did like a few thing's that Minelab did do,they finally updated the screen to a Color screen like White's,improved thier screen option's to show multi target's,improvement's over the E-trac,as technology improve's,i am sure future generation's of detector's will have improvement's, as we have seen over the year's,however i might state this,the CTX3030 i think along with other's ,thought it was over priced,as Minelab machine's are priced the highest in the industry,and have had the highest price increases in the PAST 5 YEAR'S,you have to wonder,is it to cover the tv commercial's- sale's ad's,i hope they take a better look at the economy,as the gold rush, and demand for the gpx series slow's,the CTX series is not the answer to make up the difference,or raising the price's of machine's,Minelab must remain competitive,:imo::goodpost:Earl

Back
Top Bottom