Interesting find

Silver_Seeker

Elite Member
I dug this in a curb strip in a very old neighborhood yesterday. And by very old, I mean Rhode Island very old, mid 17th century.

Any thoughts?

Are those Maltese crosses across the bottom?

Is that heraldry on the top?

The back is smooth.

There are two small bumps on the top that do not appear to be where something was broken off but certainly could be.

I believe it's copper.

This one has got me very curious. :?:

Attachments

• 1front.jpg
    1front.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 788
  • 1back.jpg
    1back.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 735
Last edited:
Watch fob. Probably fraternal. If you tumble it there may be some writing or inscription on the back if you're lucky.

Could be a saddle shield. Many of them were decorated with a shield or a crest design.

Here's a couple of photos of one I found. I think mine is brass or a copper alloy.

Attachments

• DSC01655.jpg
    DSC01655.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 652
  • DSC01656.jpg
    DSC01656.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 664
Interesting find...... If it helps, you have three crosses potent and perhaps an eagle above them? The crosses could possibly denote cadency..... I can't find anything heraldic that is similar.

I think You have a “tip protector “ for a (leather) strap (belt) . Old. Maybe very old.

I believe the image at the top represents a Phoenix, due to the tuft of feathers on the back of its head.

Last edited:
I keep coming back to look at this thing, it's fascinating. I did a little snooping, can't ID the thing, but found a little info on crosses used in heraldry. The three crosses are each a "cross crosslet" or a "cross bottony", according to the link.

http://www.americancollegeofheraldry.org/cross.htm

Beyond that, all I have is speculation. The arrangement of the crosses, with the center one more prominent, suggests Calvary and the crucifixion to me.

I've convinced myself the bird at top is the rising Phoenix, which suggests resurrection.

I'm guessing the thing is a religion oriented heraldic emblem, of a family, organization, or maybe of an individual.

I hope someone can positively ID it someday, I'd love to know what or who it belongs to.

I am going batty! I just saw this find this past week on two YouTube videos, but can't remember which ones!!!
the users i watch are Not Thursday (also stealth diggers), Green Mountain Metal Detecting (all three specialize in colonial era), Aquachigger (special in civil war), and Finding America. It HAD to be on one of theirs. I bet if you went to the contact pages for them they could tell you. Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom