Short Hunt Lands Crucifix Ring

OleSarge

Elite Member
The weather finally broke enough to allow a short hunt at a couple of old houses which are being remodeled.
Yesterday I spent a little time at the old farm and dug some nice junk including the remnants of old pocket knife and some sort of hinged cover, maybe for pill box or compact.
At the old houses I managed to dig a couple of dollars in clad, a bunch of beaver tails and some old bottle caps.
But the day was rounded out by a huge sterling crucifix ring, which cleaned up pretty good. Any suggestions as to what the lettering inside means would be appreciated.
Coincidentally, my digging partners son is a minister at the local Baptist Church and I'll be giving the ring to him since there is no way of locating its original owner.

AT Pro/GPP-AT/Fiskars Diggers

Attachments

• Metal Detecting 02-13-2017 Old Mil Road Houses 001.jpg
    Metal Detecting 02-13-2017 Old Mil Road Houses 001.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 594
  • Metal Detecting 02-13-2017 Old Mil Road Houses 005.jpg
    Metal Detecting 02-13-2017 Old Mil Road Houses 005.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 571
  • Metal Detecting 02-13-2017 Old Mil Road Houses 010.jpg
    Metal Detecting 02-13-2017 Old Mil Road Houses 010.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 570
  • Metal Detecting 02-13-2017 Old Mil Road Houses 03.jpg
    Metal Detecting 02-13-2017 Old Mil Road Houses 03.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 613
  • Metal Detecting 02-13-2017 Old Mil Road Houses 01.jpg
    Metal Detecting 02-13-2017 Old Mil Road Houses 01.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 696
Very nice ring! INRI is the Latin abbreviation for 'Jesus of Nazareth King of the Jews'. This was the inscription placed on the Cross by the Romans at His crucifiction which would make sense on this type of ring.

Never see it before....looks like a James Avery jewelers mark. Congrats!

(update) It is James Avery. A retired piece they do not carry anymore made of sterling silver. They also were made in gold.

Never see it before....looks like a James Avery jewelers mark. Congrats!

It is James Avery. Congratz on the awesome ring! I can't make out the other letters to the right of the mark, that last one could be a "J"? Engraved initials maybe? Sterling silver none the less though!

It's actually a retired James Avery Martin Luther wedding band, as weird as that sounds. They make it in gold too, google it.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/96043843/reserved-listing-for-kathy-price-james

Last edited:
Thanks for each and every comment to my thread. I do appreciate every ones expert input and sincerely appreciate your responses.
Sadly, the news regarding the ring isn't so good;
In regards to the awesome crucifix ring I found and posted to this thread.
I suppose the old saying "All that glitters isn't necessarily gold" applies to Sterling silver rings too.
As a rule I never have anything I find appraised nor do I sell it.
In most cases, and as I had planned on doing with this particular ring, I give everything I find away.
Kids absolutely love the trinkets and costume jewelry and there is always someone who needs some of my "junk".
I intended on giving the ring to the preacher of a large Baptist Church which had given me permission to metal detect on their grounds some time ago.
However, it took him about a second to hand the ring back to me and told me to get rid of it right away.
Then he began pointing out the pagan symbols on the ring including a wizard appearing face wearing a tall conical hat smirking at the crucified Christ on the cross.
There are several daggers on the ring and among them is the traditional sword used by the Muslims during ceremonial beheadings.
Once it was pointed out it became perfectly clear that the side of the ring with the Niri sign is actually a clasped fist with bindings around it and a ladder extending along side it, whatever that means. But the image of a fist with the middle finger extended in a vulgar gesture toward the rear of the Christ's skull is perfectly obvious.
I'll be taking the ring down to a park and swap jeweler and, if they don't want to buy it for the silvers melt value, I'll toss it into Puget Sound in a location where it can't be recovered:bighanky:.

Man that is a strange ring , think I'd just use the sledge O matic on it or melt it ! HH

It is James Avery. Congratz on the awesome ring! I can't make out the other letters to the right of the mark, that last one could be a "J"? Engraved initials maybe? Sterling silver none the less though!

It's actually a retired James Avery Martin Luther wedding band, as weird as that sounds. They make it in gold too, google it.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/96043843/reserved-listing-for-kathy-price-james

Thank you sir.
Had I tried your link before I posted my last thread I'd never have posted it.
You cleared up a whole bunch of bad things and saved me from making a costly mistake both financially and intellectually. I checked out ebay and this is what I found

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RETIRED-JAM...3ce83e2&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=122356126207

"This James Avery band is a recreation of the ring commemorating the marriage of Martin Luther and Catherine von Bora on June 13, 1525. The designs on the ring represent symbols of the Passion of Christ which include reeds, a sword, the inscription INRI, dice, spear, reed of hyssop, sponge soaked with vinegar and a 4mm round cabochon garnet representing Christ's blood."

Found online...^

<°)))>{

Thanks for each and every comment to my thread. I do appreciate every ones expert input and sincerely appreciate your responses.
Sadly, the news regarding the ring isn't so good;
In regards to the awesome crucifix ring I found and posted to this thread.
I suppose the old saying "All that glitters isn't necessarily gold" applies to Sterling silver rings too.
As a rule I never have anything I find appraised nor do I sell it.
In most cases, and as I had planned on doing with this particular ring, I give everything I find away.
Kids absolutely love the trinkets and costume jewelry and there is always someone who needs some of my "junk".
I intended on giving the ring to the preacher of a large Baptist Church which had given me permission to metal detect on their grounds some time ago.
However, it took him about a second to hand the ring back to me and told me to get rid of it right away.
Then he began pointing out the pagan symbols on the ring including a wizard appearing face wearing a tall conical hat smirking at the crucified Christ on the cross.
There are several daggers on the ring and among them is the traditional sword used by the Muslims during ceremonial beheadings.
Once it was pointed out it became perfectly clear that the side of the ring with the Niri sign is actually a clasped fist with bindings around it and a ladder extending along side it, whatever that means. But the image of a fist with the middle finger extended in a vulgar gesture toward the rear of the Christ's skull is perfectly obvious.
I'll be taking the ring down to a park and swap jeweler and, if they don't want to buy it for the silvers melt value, I'll toss it into Puget Sound in a location where it can't be recovered:bighanky:.

He mistook the markings as something sinister, I wouldn't pay attention to him. I had to go back and reread and saw Baptist preacher (I was thinking Fundamentalist), not that there's anything wrong with that, but they also regard things like dancing as bad...which they clearly did in the Bible, even the Apostles danced for joy. So take that for what it's worth...

I think it's a beautifully ornate ring, and I don't believe James Avery would ever associate themselves with anything but the most upstanding messages presented in their jewelry. It's a hallmark of what the brand is known for and why it is still so worldly popular. It's a Christian jeweler.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Avery_Craftsman

Here's more info about Martin Luthers specific ring, which this James Avery piece commemorates: http://www.engravedstyle.com/2008/06/luthers-rings/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom