• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Bad days ahead

Just throwing this out there. When I knew at some point i was going to have to make the decision when it was time to put my dog down I had a conversation with my vet. I explained that I would not want her last day to involve a trip to the vet. With a little pleading and batting my eyes she said I could call her and she would come do it at our home with the family. It made a very hard thing a little easier and meant more then I could express to have her do that for us.

That is how I think it should be handled. I know one of my biggest fears is when my time comes I will live out my last days in a hospital. I would much rather be at home surrounded by my friends and family and those things surrounding me that makes me feel comfortable. I was just talking to my wife the other day and was wishing there was a Vet around here that would do that when the time comes for our guy.
Really cool that you were able to do this.

I could probably get them to come to the house but then I'd have to move. I could not stand looking at "that spot" knowing thats where R.J. spent his last breath. got 440pm appt tomorrow for follow up and I'll have to make a decision by then. One minute he's fine asking for food. The next he can barely stand. Just so back and forth right now. Thanks for all your wishes and prayers and understanding. This will only be my second one. First one I had no choice as he was bleeding out internaly much quicker and never would have survived the table for surgery. Was only 9 1\2 years and was my 14 year old vizslas half brother who was 2 years older than she so he would have been gone already. Just wish they could use a voice and tell us. His eyes just look at me intently sometimes and I cant tell if they are saying I love you and want to stay or Please let me join Walker.......

I am so very sorry to hear about your dilemma! My heart goes out to you. You and your pup will be in my prayers.

Three years ago my miniature wiener dog, at the time she was 14, had the same thing going on with her liver and kidneys. She was in very bad shape and it was tearing my heart to pieces. It was costing us an arm and a leg at the veterinarians. The vet finally said that her time was coming close and we needed to make a decision.

We researched on the Internet and saw that several people recommended something called milk thistle. Having nothing to lose we ended up getting the equivalent of milk thistle for dogs.

Within three days she started to turn completely around and we took her to a different vet. The blood test showed that all of her levels were close to being normal again. We have kept her on this ever since. This August she will be 17 long years old.

May the Good Lord lay his hands on your dog and bring peace to you and your family.

"Animals" are family members and best friends.... you will know when it's time to let go and have your friend move on.... not being mean spirited. So sorry for what you're going through.

We researched on the Internet and saw that several people recommended something called milk thistle. Having nothing to lose we ended up getting the equivalent of milk thistle for dogs.

Within three days she started to turn completely around and we took her to a different vet. The blood test showed that all of her levels were close to being normal again. We have kept her on this ever since. This August she will be 17 long years old.

What may I ask was the canine equivalant of this? What is the name of what you give your pup?

Update. R.J. was close to me making "the call" Tuesday PM. Well, I held off until Wed and I'm glad I did. He was asking for food Wed morning and in the afternoon and has not barfed anything back up. His energy level has come back for the most part and Some of the blood work was a bit better. NO change on the Red blood cell count tho so he's still pretty pale in the gums. He is doing pretty good and he is in good spirits now. Thank you all for the prayers and thoughts. I do firmly believe these things do help. He's got some distance to travel to get back to 100% but he's going the right direction. Hoping it continues.

I feel for you. I won't go into the conversation my dad and I had when he told me it was about time for the dog we'd had throughout my high school and college years except for the important line. With a tear on his cheek and a beer in his hand he said "I don't want to put him down one day too early but I don't want to do it one day too late either." He's not a drinker and the only other time I saw him cry was my grandma's funeral. It's a tough decision to make and one hell of a responsibility.

Update on R.J.

R.J. is having bad times again. This time its really not going to end well. He had 1.5 liters of "fluid" removed from his abdomen last Friday due to Congestive Heart Failure. Now I'm going to have to get more removed tomorrow. Its not painful for him but it does put pressure on his organs, spine and stomach thus reducing his appetite. I know his days are short but so long as he's eating and does not appear to be in real pain its day by day. He's on Diuretics to help the body eliminate fluids and my sister (20+ years in veterinary svc) said that fluid build up over 5 -6 days isnt all that fast. If it were like this in 2 days then it would be very close to the end. All this being said I know the end is near. He's had a good life, with two other dogs (one lost and one added in 08/09) a cat and sleeps on the king size bed by my left shoulder. He follows me around everywhere. He's been loved and gives so much love its just unbelievable. He truly does have a big heart full of love. I'd like to keep him forever, as we all wish we could with our pets (family) but I just have that gut feeling that its possibly less than a week away. His heart could just stop over night or while I'm at work but he's eating, and is energetic and happy to see me when I come home. Does not seem in pain so just doing what needs to be done. The ultimate choice is one Im not looking forward to but must face .... I'll leave this thread alone until the end. Thanks for the suggestions, comments and condolences.:(

R.J. is having bad times again. This time its really not going to end well. He had 1.5 liters of "fluid" removed from his abdomen last Friday due to Congestive Heart Failure. Now I'm going to have to get more removed tomorrow. Its not painful for him but it does put pressure on his organs, spine and stomach thus reducing his appetite. I know his days are short but so long as he's eating and does not appear to be in real pain its day by day. He's on Diuretics to help the body eliminate fluids and my sister (20+ years in veterinary svc) said that fluid build up over 5 -6 days isnt all that fast. If it were like this in 2 days then it would be very close to the end. All this being said I know the end is near. He's had a good life, with two other dogs (one lost and one added in 08/09) a cat and sleeps on the king size bed by my left shoulder. He follows me around everywhere. He's been loved and gives so much love its just unbelievable. He truly does have a big heart full of love. I'd like to keep him forever, as we all wish we could with our pets (family) but I just have that gut feeling that its possibly less than a week away. His heart could just stop over night or while I'm at work but he's eating, and is energetic and happy to see me when I come home. Does not seem in pain so just doing what needs to be done. The ultimate choice is one Im not looking forward to but must face .... I'll leave this thread alone until the end. Thanks for the suggestions, comments and condolences.:(

I feel for you, man. About a month ago my cat Waylon stopped eating and started being really lethargic. We thought it was a fever like he had a tendency to get but he wasn't getting better so we took him to the vet. Turned out he had fluid in his lungs. :( We had the fluid tapped and tested. They gave us about 3 possibilities as to the cause, none of them good or really treatable. Advanced cancer was the most likely culprit. :( The next day we had him put down. Hard decision but I was glad he wasn't suffering anymore. It wasn't fair, though. Waylon was the sweetest cat you had ever met in your life and he was only 8 years old. If any cat ever deserved to live a long life, it was him.

Anyway, sorry again about your dog. You're not alone in losing a pet, it's one of the hardest things in life. :(

What a beautiful dog! I'm sorry to hear your dog's aren't well, but it sounds like they've been very lucky animals having someone like you that loves them so much! However much time they have left, I'm sure you will make it the best possible for them!

When our dog was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago, he ate more steak than we did and we tried to make his ladt days the best we could before we had to put him down. I hated that last walk with him but I think my wife and I felt better kmowing we did everything we could yo make his life enjoyable. Best of luck to you!

Don

Gets worse.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=2377629#post2377629

Im devastated right now. Found her collapsed on kitchen floor unable to get up. Gums pale and cold. Xrays showed heart fine but weak. Belly xray showed small mass and possible fluid. Tapped, Blood. Meaning ruptured tumor. 14yrs 1 month 11 days. Along with arthritis in hips and such decision was to let her go. I'm just beside myself and wish I werent alive. Just hurts so fkn much. I know many have gone through this but Ive got so much more happening in my life right now thats negative this is just the first knock out punch. Still waiting for my Wemariners time. He's still hanging on but its still day to day. Not in pain so just keep going.

Final post on this thread from me. I had to let R.J. go today. He had two seizures friday and saturday. 11:15 fri night and 9:15 sat am. Then two today at 2:15 and 3:00pm.. The two fri/sat left him learning how to drink water again and minor issues walking. First one today messed him up quite a bit, second one left him unable to walk. 2.5 days after losing my 14 yr old Vizsla Maggie I was forced to let R.J. join her and her half brother Walker Boh whom I lost sept 30th 2008. This so far is my worst year of my life. Not sure I can handle anything else happening. Please take a second or two to say a prayer that my two beloved family members Maggie and R.J. can find peace with Walker and meet me when my time comes. I miss them both so much I'm sick to my stomach. Holding two best friends in my arms as they drift of to the other side in 3 days is just more than I can handle. Just wanted to post a closure note on this thread.

Maggie Mae 5/14/2001-6/25/2015
R.J. 9/15/2003 6/28/2015
May you both rest in peace and harmony and be there for me when my time comes. I look forward to your kisses on my face and your heads in my hands again. My heart will always be with you. I love you both.:crying::crying:

Attachments

• IMG_20140704_180807614.jpg
    IMG_20140704_180807614.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 48
I'm so very sorry to hear about the passing of both dogs so closely together. I lost 3 within 6 months of each other, and it was very hard. Please try to recognize that you gave all of them wonderful long and happy lives. I believe they will be waiting for you and that they are now running pain-free, chasing squirrels and having fun. I'll be saying a prayer for them and for you.

Back
Top Bottom