Making a large coil??

planerie

Elite Member
I was thinking about making a large coil out of PVC to go around the homestead property. I have an old BH 101 that I could canablize the little coil and use the wires for it. Any idea if that would even work and if anyone has any info or specs on how to make the coil please let me know.

I was thinking about making a large coil out of PVC to go around the homestead property. I have an old BH 101 that I could canablize the little coil and use the wires for it. Any idea if that would even work and if anyone has any info or specs on how to make the coil please let me know.

It isn't quite that simple. The best forum for DIY metal detectors and coils is geotech1.com

The largest coils you will see for a VLF detector would be on a two box setup.

The coils on our detectors are potted in resin (epoxy?), so the hold their shape, and protect the wires. Probably better to buy a spool of enamel coated magnet wire.

Here's a link to an electronics site, have to scroll down a ways to get to the metal detectors. He does a good write up, easy to read and follow, the "how's and why's". There is some stuff about winding coils, and some online tools, so you can get close to the characteristics you are after (need). I've never been really good at winding my own inductors for circuits, usually takes a few tries, just to get close. Mostly, I avoid those types of circuits. It's really not quite as easy, as you'd think, probably a skill you can master after a while, just wasn't fun for me.

http://chemelec.com/Projects/Projects.htm

Back
Top Bottom