Every dog has it's day...

NectarDetector

Forum Supporter
Not a week ago I was telling the guys in chat how I would ever find a large cent in my area. 6 years into this hobby and I was convinced that those things were just a myth I see in videos!

Saturday I asked permission at an early 1900's house in a near by town. After talking with and showing the property owner a 1 minute video of how I dig a plug, he told me I could detect his yard...with one stipulation "You have one hour"

I said "You got it, I'll set an alarm" After finding a few wheat pennies in the yard, I heard another penny tone on my AT Pro and decided to investigate the target. It turned out to be a 1910 wheat penny, and I thought "I'll give that to the property owner when I leave."

I noticed a side door and decided to slow down on that side of the property in an effort to find any remaining coins.

Shortly after deciding to slow down, I got an 88-89 ID on my ATP and thought I might have located a silver quarter.

Excited, I dug around the target well in hopes of not scratching the coin... imagine my surprise when at the bottom of a 5 inch plug I saw a round object with an unfamiliar face on it. At first I thought it was a dirty gold coin, then I realized what I was holding, well one of two coins "either a half cent or large cent" (I didn't know, I've never seen either in person! :lol:

marchLC1.jpg

Anyway enough of the novel, here's a pic of my first ever 1853 braided hair large cent ...the coin I would have told you I'd never find!

marchlcback.jpg

Prior to finding this coin I was shy about asking permission at private properties... that hesitation is GONE NOW, believe me!

Thanks for checkin out my LC!

Sweet find. I'd be bringing the homeowner a case of beer to buy yourself a few more hours.

Would love to go back with the 3030 but I was travelling light that day. This has me wondering what is in the back yard I didn't get to detect. Hmmm, I do know his fav sports team, gotta figure out how to incorporate that into a gift. Good thinkin

Betcha de like a BLUE piranha digger. LOL

Nice find, something rare in you neck of the woods!

congrats!

That is awesome! I'd love to find one someday. Now you've broken the ice so maybe they'll show up more often! ;)

Congrats on the LC! Still # 1 on my bucket list. I did knock off a Half Cent a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on a really great find. Not only are they hard to find, but the soil is really hard on them and the condition isn't that good.:( At least you KNOW what it is.:yes: Hope you get another chance to hunt that site. I know you will be eat up with "what if" if you don't.

Congrats wtg on the largie, which + the 1/2 cent among several others are still on my list.

Multiple gold coins in one hole may not be in your career, but finding several is not an impossibility, something I can attest to.

Don

Back
Top Bottom