A Cold day's hunt (Barber, 1913 Type 1 Buff, Indian)

spenglure

Elite Member
Had the opportunity to hunt a new permission between some cold weather. Temperatures hovering around 40 degrees, but put on the hat, gloves and grabbed the trustworthy T2. The particular permission is a field today, but was a public area in the past. I'd say, based on my research, the site had moderate use for picnics in the early 1900's. Not as many targets as I was hoping for overall, but the targets I did get were good items. My first five minutes in I hit a repeatable 77 and dug an 1897 Indian Head. I was thinking, man, this place is going to be the deal! However, things slowed down greatly after my first good coin. Lots and lots of shot gun head stamps. Finally, after about an hour and a half of digging nothing but stamps, I stumbled upon an 83/84 signal. Started digging and out popped a rather dull, white coin. It ended up being a 1901 Barber Dime! About an hour after the Barber, and I ran into an area with some old buttons. Picked up a nice 81/82 signal in this area and dug a 1910 wheat. Toasted, but still I love those early date wheats! Then, finally, as I moved back to the truck I dug my last signal of the day. This was a repeatable 57/58 on the T2. Told my buddy, I sure hope this is Nickel. Dug the plug and out pops a red buffalo! I couldn't read the date out in the field, and never considered that it may be an early coin. When I got home, I still couldn't read the date after cleaning. But I happened to notice the ground where the buffalo stands upon looked a bit little different. Being the coin collector I am, I busted out my deluxe edition Red Book and confirmed it as a 1913 Type I buffalo. The very first of the series!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2136.jpg
    IMG_2136.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_2141.jpg
    IMG_2141.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_2139.jpg
    IMG_2139.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_2143.jpg
    IMG_2143.jpg