first week with the troy

RelicHound

Forum Supporter
I traded off a whites XLT for a Troy shadow X3...it arrived last saturday and the test began...at first glance it looked like a glorified Tesoro Cibola and I expected it preform as such.

Air test: The air testing did not go as well as I hoped..almost disappointing,the Troy had a hard time picking up a silver dime at 6" where my cibola super tuned would pick it up at 8" with no problems. a silver dollar was barely audible at 10" where my cibola would sing like a bird at it. air test are always good to preform but they are not completely accurate...so off to the test garden.

Test Garden: the Troy preformed better then expected in the test garden after the sub par performance with the air test I did not expect it to be able to pick up much in what I call the "deep end" of my garden where i have coins buried up to 12"...boy was I wrong. the silver quarter at 11" was audible...just barely but still a clean tone...the silver dime at 9" was a audible crisp clean tone and the silver dollar at 12" was unmistakable...these depths may or may not be completely accurate as Ive had the garden out for several years.
next to the iron laced part of the garden....the Troy did very well and very little masking was noticed. I have a CW eagle button buried at 6" with a piece of iron that is 2"x3" laying directly beside it...all of my machines have trouble with this target including my tesoro cibola,the tesoro tejon is the only machine ive ever owned that wouldnt null out or break up on this target. the Troy picked it up like there was no iron there at all.
next to the field

Actually hunting with the Troy: In the field the Troy preformed flawlessly,ran very smooth and I found the coin check feature on the Troy to be extremely valuable when hunting trashy areas. tho ive not had alot of time with the Troy in field yet I know this is a killer machine. my best find with it so far was a IH cent at roughly 5".
all test and even hunting was done with the disc set at 2{one notch below factory} and sens set 9{all most full bore} and using the stock 7" coil. they dont make the shadows any longer but if you ever come across one used dont hesitate to check it out...its great machine and very comparable to the tesoro tejon minus the manual ground balance..which the X5 has that feature..the X3 is automatic.

Nice review...well written.

I noticed the air-test was not indicitive of actual performance. When I got my MXT, I had the same issue...it doesn't seem to air-test very well, but cranks when properly ground balanced in an actual field environment.

Thanks for the review.

John

I've the X5 and my wife has the X3.
I assume you have the stock 7" coil. It might be worth keeping an eye out for the nine inch X5 coil which will give a little more depth and more ground coverage for each sweep. You could also check out the elliptical for high rubbish areas/bad ground.

Though they are not made anymore there's no problems re repairs, cheap as well!

I would put the Tejon in the same performance class as the 3 (if its on ground that suits it) and the 5. The X5 will always have the edge over the 3as its adjustable to the ground conditions(auto ground balance means fixed). The Shadow advantages are its better build quality, its rainproof and its better on targets all the way up the conductivity range than the Tesoro.
Tesoros have a much better choice of coils.
Anyone looking for a true Troy machine should ignore the X2. Its a Tesoro with a modified coil.

Im currently looking for all 3 coils for the X3,yes it has the stock 7" coil which is a good all purpose coil it seems but id like to have the larger spider coil. not being able to ground balance the X3 is my only issue with the X3,I like to run my GB a bit on the positive side..cant do that if your are unable to adjust. do you think the tejon is comparable to X5? I found a used X5 and was thinking about getting it but since i already have a tejon im afraid of dishing out the cash for a machine that is just like the one I have...I figured the X3 was gonna be identicle to the tesoro cibola but was pleasently surprised.

Troy detectors are very good detectors i see one guy states his x3 will not air test good probroly needs to be tuned. My x5 will id a nickel at 19 inches my last x5 only air tested a nickel at 14 inches. They are very good units in good soil if you know how to operate the troy. Keith wills still work on troys.Why have a x3 when you can have x5 manual ground balance is what you want

Back
Top Bottom