Bigger Coils???

Man

Hello Friends,
I need your recommendation for cache hunting coils for Minelab Explorer II, SE...

Which one is the most effective from the four coils below?..
SEF 15"X18"
EXCELERATOR EQ2 16.5"
WOT 15" old style
WOT 15" new spider style

Is there any difference between the mentioned above WOT coils?..
How does Excelerator EQ2 16.5" compare to the mentioned above coils?
Is the SEF the best?

Your opinion is very important for me!!

Hey there. I asked the same question a couple weeks ago with no luck. I am also in the market for a really big coil for my Explorer SE. I would love to see some solid replies to your post. I did see some youtube videos with an Explorer SE with the Detech 13" Ultimate and it looked good. I have that coil for my DFX and I love it but I want to go even bigger on my Explorer SE. Hang in there. Hopefully someone will chime in. GL and HH. Matt

For build quality and performance, you simply can't beat the WOT. Coiltek has a working relationship directly with Minelab that NO other manufacturer has that gives them access to "inside information".

I used the SEF 12X15 for a little while but its a bit heavy for me. I use the 10X12 SEF now. I would recommend the SEF coils, they work great and are well balanced.

I had the original WOT 15in on an Explorer XS and did not really care for it. The newer ones might be better?

Hello Friends,
I need your recommendation for cache hunting coils for Minelab Explorer II, SE...

SEF 15"X18"
EXCELERATOR EQ2 16.5"
WOT 15" old style
WOT 15" new spider style

Is the SEF the best?

Not sure what you mean by "most effective" but I can share a bit about depth and sensitivity of most of those coils...

For my Explorer XS and II, I've used/owned the stock 8", 10", slim procoil, 13", 15" wot, 10x12 SEF, 15x18 SEF and 18"x24" SEF....just not the 16.5". For both machines and all coils, I could pinpoint like a stock coil. As I walked with the round coils I felt they were easier to swing because my feet bumped into them less than the square/rectangle coils. Also the SEF design has a "V" shape that sometimes catches weeds and overgrown (ARghhh). All coils over 13" felt heavier and quickly fatigued my arm, especially the 18x24. I now use a harness so that helps a lot.

Sometimes the machine went a bit crazy when the coil was reading several targets at once, ie., the screen VDI rapidly flickered between 5-6 target id's. Once I understood that the coil footprint is over multiple targets, it was easy to learn how to pinpoint and dig each of them. BTW, the XS was the hardest, but the faster processor on the II could keep up with several targets. So I imagine the SE would handle the scenario even better than the II.

Didn't notice much difference in depth for the 15" sizes....but the 18x24 was simply impressive. In stable soil, it was 10" deeper than the WOT and 4" deeper than my Sea Hunter 2 (PI) with the 10x14 coil. It was also heavy and so big that it was hard to swing with the stock Explorer setup. To use it effectively, it really needs to be mounted to a long, straight shaft.

I did notice that the larger the coil, the more I had to lower the sensitivity. In some highly mineralized areas, I could actually gain depth by switching back to a smaller coil that worked with a higher sensitivity.

Regardless, all of your choices are excellent. In a lab setting where each coil is equally tested and swung on the same machine, the perhaps offer only marginal performance variations at best. Otherwise opinions are based on a users location, experience and/or lack thereof. :grin:

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by "most effective" but I can share a bit about depth and sensitivity of most of those coils...

For my Explorer XS and II, I've used/owned the stock 8", 10", slim procoil, 13", 15" wot, 10x12 SEF, 15x18 SEF and 18"x24" SEF....just not the 16.5". For both machines and all coils, I could pinpoint like a stock coil. As I walked with the round coils I felt they were easier to swing because my feet bumped into them less than the square/rectangle coils. Also the SEF design has a "V" shape that sometimes catches weeds and overgrown (ARghhh). All coils over 13" felt heavier and quickly fatigued my arm, especially the 18x24. I now use a harness so that helps a lot.

Sometimes the machine went a bit crazy when the coil was reading several targets at once, ie., the screen VDI rapidly flickered between 5-6 target id's. Once I understood that the coil footprint is over multiple targets, it was easy to learn how to pinpoint and dig each of them. BTW, the XS was the hardest, but the faster processor on the II could keep up with several targets. So I imagine the SE would handle the scenario even better than the II.

Didn't notice much difference in depth for the 15" sizes....but the 18x24 was simply impressive. In stable soil, it was 10" deeper than the WOT and 4" deeper than my Sea Hunter 2 (PI) with the 10x14 coil. It was also heavy and so big that it was hard to swing with the stock Explorer setup. To use it effectively, it really needs to be mounted to a long, straight shaft.

I did notice that the larger the coil, the more I had to lower the sensitivity. In some highly mineralized areas, I could actually gain depth by switching back to a smaller coil that worked with a higher sensitivity.

Regardless, all of your choices are excellent. In a lab setting where each coil is equally tested and swung on the same machine, the perhaps offer only marginal performance variations at best. Otherwise opinions are based on a users location, experience and/or lack thereof. :grin:

Thank you very much for your comment.
Have you tested head to head SEF 10"x12" and WOT 15" on Minelab Explorer? What results did you get for coins sized objects and Coke can sized objects?

How many inches were difference?

Can anyone tell me the difference between old style WOT 15" and new spider style WOT 15"? is the difference only rigidness of the spider style one?

I would check on mine lab owners forum or any of the European forums. I see many large coil comparisons there.

gl

Can you post here or in PM the links of the mentioned forums?

Thank you in advance very much! :)

but the 18x24 was simply impressive. In stable soil, it was 10" deeper than the WOT and 4" deeper than my Sea Hunter 2 (PI) with the 10x14 coil.

What sized object did you compare the coils on?

What can you say about SEF 15x18? was it the same as WOT 15" ?

Thank you very much for your comment.
Have you tested head to head SEF 10"x12" and WOT 15" on Minelab Explorer SE? What results did you get for coins sized objects and Coke can sized objects?

How many inches were difference?

I found my post from a comparison I did a while ago.....AND....you need to keep in mind that stable soil can often gain even more depth.

Here are some #'s from my tests with a buddies Safari and my Explorer XS and Explorer II. Keep in mind the same MD and coil may have different depths in other soil conditions. Nonetheless, the test helps put things in perspective. The following tests used a quarter (laying flat) in wet, salt sand beaches:

DEPTH.........DESCRIPTION
9-12"..........10"x12" SEF
15-17".........15" WOT
21-22".........18"x24" SEF (Note: I got 24" inland in ground soil)
-David

Other notes....
A large mass object, like a can, is always going to be easier for the detector to find and the larger mass can allow it to be found at far greater depths. At the beach in dry sand, I've used the stock, 10x12 SEF, and WOT coils to find cans that are more than knee deep....which on me is about 24-25".

Since that test, I've also done similar tests with an SE, E-trac, and CTX. Honestly, I do not believe there is any difference in depth between the machines and similar coil sizes when the machines are used in an all-metal, no discrimination, no salt mode. However, I have found swing speed and technique play a crucial role in depth and/or target recognition. For example, the SE is no deeper than the XS, but the SE processes the data faster. The faster processor "might" enable you to swing faster or separate and discern signals more accurately on the first pass. 'eh I'm not a professional doing these tests with precision controlled equipment so again this is only my opinion. =)

Can anyone tell me the difference between old style WOT 15" and new spider style WOT 15"? is the difference only rigidness of the spider style one?
That is correct. There is no performance difference at all. The additional spokes were added because some ground scrubbers complained of flexing causing falses.

Longhair, Thank you for your comment.

DnD,
Thank you for all your detailed information!! :)

and all the guys, Thank you for your feedbacks!

Hello Friends,

SEF 15"X18"
EXCELERATOR EQ2 16.5"
WOT 15" old style
WOT 15" new spider style

Is the SEF the best?

Which one did you stay with? I have a WOT 15" old style on my E Trac.

Which one did you stay with? I have a WOT 15" old style on my E Trac.

FYI, that post is three years old and the OP hasn't been on the forums since then. In my opinion, the WOT is a great coil and I prefer it over the SEFs. Are you looking at getting another?

Back
Top Bottom