Church of the Compadre...

I'm keeping mine too. I may get a mojave sometime in the future, but between my F70 and my compadre, I just don't see a need for it other than just wanting one. Those prices on ebay are really good. I think some people get in a bidding war and their need to win the auction precludes any common sense that they may have:?: On at least one of those auctions the person could have got a brand new one for less than $20 more. Some people probably don't realize you don't still get the full warranty buying used.

Those prices are about normal for used Compadres...The $140 8" coil one is for stupid people that don't realize brand new ones go for $20 more and most dealers give free shipping on them.

As far as the free lifetime warranty on used units they stopped that a couple of years ago after finally getting smart.
It was great to have for all owners but in business it made no sense.
For original owners that is one thing but for all others so many sent them in for free checkups and reconditioning after purchasing a used one, whether something was wrong with those units or not, that it had to put at least a little pressure on the repair department and Rusty.
It took time, maybe some new parts from time to time and free shipping back to the owner and that all costs the company money...money they would lose and good will is worth a lot but you still have to look at the bottom line when running a company.
They will still repair used units sent in by secondary owners but they are now charging them at least $50 to look at those units and maybe charging for parts now too if needed...maybe labor also.
I assume this slowed down the used traffic a lot, stopped many from sending units in with no problems at all but just did it for the peace of mind and the cost of shipping one way and totally voided at least a few resellers that took advantage of this very generous program a little too much.
As a business owner I can't believe it took them so many years to do the math and add up all that free service, definitely the useless and unneeded stuff, and what it was actually costing them.

They had to drag the company into the 21st century eventually so they finally did.
They still have a lifetime warranty on new units for original owners which is still unusual in this day and age.

I personally don't see a need for the warranty. It has been bulletproof, I put a ton of hours on it, out every hour available and it was the only thing I had before getting a second, then third, well, I 'm on my way to the sixth machine and the Compadre ignited all of it from a great start.

Church of the Compadre

A possibility if you hunt in soil that is way off of optimal but there is a greater chance of screwing things up if you go a little too far either way...enough to make it unusable.
A few I read about tried it and were successful, really high tech experienced types that do repairs and heavy mods, but I can't recall any that mentioned much of a depth gain, maybe just a bit quieter but not much more.
A couple others tried it and messed it up so bad they had to send it back to Tesoro which wasn't a big deal because they were fixing and calibrating everything for free back then.
Now it will cost you $50 plus shipping and they might do that even if you are the original owner for all I know if they suspect you got in there and changed the settings.

Mine got to the 5-6" area here in really bad dirt and when I brought it to almost perfect soil out in Kansas I didn't see much gain at all...still got to about 6".

It is not a depth demon, the small and 7" coil versions 6" is normal, 8" models should go a bit further anyway right out of the box.

If you do attempt it mark the pot before you even try, just slight changes if you do adjust it and use Monte's power balancing technique to get it optimal...but again I am not recommending it unless you have bad depth or noise issues.

I have hunted in horrible soil, great soil and found some really old stuff in both and out of everything I have found including targets with a Vaq and my F70 which are depth monsters 98% of all over it have not been any deeper than 6" anyway.
Including all my gold, the heaviest, densest metal I go after.

Hi ! :tiphat:

I believe it is generally thought that the intermediate depth of coil signal penetration into the ground, excluding exacerbating factors, is roughly equal to the diameter of the coil.

With regard to target size, setting aside a target laying at a severe angle vs. parallel to the radiating coil signals, we can say that the larger the target with more surface to create eddy currents, the deeper the coil signal will go, if only in fractional amounts.

ToddB64

Last edited:
Compadre 5.75 Coil and Estimating Target Depth.

This is an addendum to my post #903 above.

I believe Digger27 mentioned the following method to estimate target depth with the Compadre and perhaps he got it from another detectorist...dunno. I thought it might be helpful to reiterate the method, using the numbered steps below. Of course, this method is for analog detectors having no digital screen, depth bars or numerical depth readings.

#1..after getting a target signal...

#2.. estimate target depth by swinging slowly back and forth over the target, while simultaneously raising the coil in small amounts above the ground until the target signal is finally lost..

#3..then steady the coil right there and estimate (eyeball) the distance from the bottom of the coil to the top of the ground and then..

#4..subtract that estimated distance from the "intermediate depth" (defined in above post # 903.) of your coil and the resulting difference is an estimate of target depth.

Hope this is useful ! ;)

ToddB64

Last edited:
After a few hours of doing this, you'll not only know the approximate depth, but also the size of the object-tiny, coin sized, or oversized- and within a sec or two.:cool:

anyone have done mods to their compadre? Im new at this ;)

Lots of mods have been done to the compadre. You should be able to search and find examples and even schematics if you want to dabble. However the Mojave kind of fills the bill now. Here's one I stuffed in a waterproof case. Works great at some fresh water spots I hunt. Cheap too!

Noah

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 325
anyone have done mods to their compadre? Im new at this ;)

Most common mods are turning the sense up from factory levels which is tricky if you're ham handed but relatively easy if you are not and adding a new coil adapter so you can switch coils.
Someone posted recently about adding some higher end capacitors or something to increase the power but I never heard of that one and I don't think there is a mod you can do to make these go deep like a Cibola or Vaq, anyway.

An entry level Chevy can't be turned into a Caddy no matter what you do as much as you would like to be able to do that.
If you want major penetrating power used Cibola's, Vaq's and a few others are pretty affordable.

I feel the Compadre is about finesse and it still does that with class and more than well...I have other detectors that can do the heavy lifting in other situations.

Last edited:
Most common mods are turning the sense up from factory levels which is tricky if your ham handed but relatively easy if you are not and adding a new coil adapter so you can switch coils.
Someone posted recently about adding some higher end capacitors or something to increase the power but I never heard of that one and I don't think there is a mod you can do to make these go deep like a Cibola or Vaq, anyway.

An entry level Chevy can't be turned into a Caddy no matter what you do as much as you would like to be able to do that.
If you want major penetrating power used Cibola's, Vaq's and a few others are pretty affordable.

I feel the Compadre us about finesse and it still does that with class and more than well...I have other detectors that can do the heavy lifting in other situations.

Well said. The compadre does what it does, and it does it well.

Noah

turns out I bought a 7 inch coil compadre
the board is a older version 3

attachment.php

I have the same one, the sense is turned up internally and that's all the modding it is going to get because I love it just the way it is.
Hunts great in heavy trash, covering larger areas is not frustrating, I paid $130 for mine when I bought it from Skiwhiz and it has literally paid for itself ten times over in clad, silver and gold.
About 1000 times more than that in fun.

Did you turn it all up? Or you installed a pot?
I just ordered a coil protector from ebay

I have the same one, the sense is turned up internally and that's all the modding it is going to get because I love it just the way it is.
Hunts great in heavy trash, covering larger areas is not frustrating, I paid $130 for mine when I bought it from Skiwhiz and it has literally paid for itself ten times over in clad, silver and gold.
About 1000 times more than that in fun.

This reminds me of cb radios where people with "golden screwdrivers" try to make their radios hotter but end up ruining audio quality. Is it the same with detectors and turning up sensitivity? In other words is the internal sensitivity of a detector tuned to the coil?

This reminds me of cb radios where people with "golden screwdrivers" try to make their radios hotter but end up ruining audio quality. Is it the same with detectors and turning up sensitivity? In other words is the internal sensitivity of a detector tuned to the coil?

Don't think so....many have turned up the sense with no problem and a bit more depth was usually the result.
Now if you mess with the disc you can really screw it up and unless you know what you are doing changing the GB can make this thing so unusable that several had to be sent back to Tesoro to get it straightened out again.

My 8" coiled Compadre gained a bit more depth with a simple adjustment, actually multiple adjustments before I got it to where it is now from fear of moving too far at a time.

I did a full gain bump the compadre detected over 13 inches with a lot of chater it was crazy :cool: then i took it down to stock and did a small increment and got 1.5 inch

I think a sesitivity pot is a must in the compadre , ive been reading a lot from monty about ground balance its very very interesting

At the moment im waiting for a fisher cz6 that needs the discrimination pot replaced but i dont know wich one from the ones i bought for my compadre so the gain / ground balance mod is on hold :(

Back
Top Bottom