In at the deep end? (England)

Doug

Elite Member
A fellow UK forum member let me borrow his new CTX 3030 yesterday to search a local field which I know contains material from the Roman period.

Not having used one before I elected, or should that be, not happy to move any of the presets in the coin program so used as is.

I certainly struggled to make any sense of the sounds emitting from the machine but gained confidence once the small items of the non iron variety started to appear.

The VDU (visual display unit) was totally unreadable in the bright sunshine.

My thanks to a UK forum member for the two ID's on the Roman coins.

Thanks for looking...........Doug.

The field + the unknown.

Roman coin just out of the ground.

All Roman coins.

Constantine 2 AD316-340

"Constantine and his sons issued a few different types of commemoratives from 330-346. These were issued to mark the foundation of Constantinople and to also re-affirm Rome as the traditional center of the Empire.

Thirteen mints produced these types: Trier, Lugdunum (Lyons), Arelate (Arles), Aquileia, Rome, Siscia, Thessalonica, Heraclea, Constantinople, Nicomedia, Cyzicus, Antioch and Alexandria.

The two most common are the CONSTANTINOPOLIS (Victory on a prow) and VRBS ROMA (wolf and twins) types. The female figure on the obverse is the personification of Constantinople or Rome. The wolf and twins type depict Romulus and Remus (the founders of Rome) being suckled by the she-wolf. The two stars on the reverse represent the dioscuri ( the twins Castor and Pollux)."

What an incredible display Doug. Love seeing you swinging the CTX as well, such a great machine but your a great hunter as well. Congrats!!

Super nice finds !

Maybe suggest a non glare screen protector to help cut the glare on VDU for the next time you borrow it ? :grin:

Kinda feel sorry for ya , no spendable clad ! ! All ya can do with that is put it in a museum . If your interested we can work a deal for some Felix pennies , they are awesome !! Can do a even swap . ,,,,,HH

Nice! Unbelievable actually. You people find more Roman coins than we find pull tabs it seems. :yes: Congrats, awesome job.

Never tire of seeing your digs!!!

Thank you Ron.

As always, great finds ! Keep them coming !

Thank you I will try my best.

What an incredible display Doug. Love seeing you swinging the CTX as well, such a great machine but your a great hunter as well. Congrats!!

Thank you Mike for your very kind comments.

Super nice finds !

Maybe suggest a non glare screen protector to help cut the glare on VDU for the next time you borrow it ? :grin:

Thank you, I have advised the owner of the CTX and he is looking into it (no pun intended) at purchasing one here in the UK.

Kinda feel sorry for ya , no spendable clad ! ! All ya can do with that is put it in a museum . If your interested we can work a deal for some Felix pennies , they are awesome !! Can do a even swap . ,,,,,HH

Thank you, I can find my own amount of trash with no great effort.

That's amazing! Mid evil history Rome, England history has always been fascinating! Thanks for posting!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your welcome.

Nice! Unbelievable actually. You people find more Roman coins than we find pull tabs it seems. :yes: Congrats, awesome job.

Thank you.

Doug, you always post the most amazing finds...I'm so jelouse!

Thank you.

Great digs doug. Always love your post. Good to be doug. Hh blev

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom