• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Need Some Info. Newbie. :blush:

Culchie

I'm thinking of getting my first metal detector. I wanted to stay under $200 for a couple reasons. 1) I'm working all the time right now. 2) Want to be sure I stick with it b4 putting lots of money in.

I'm someone who wants the best for the buck. I was wondering is there any good detectors for under $200 that have numerous programs installed to help determine what it picks up ?

Also, what would be the basic tools needed for a casual hunter ? I was thinking, shovel, gloves, knee pads, pinpointer and pouch. Mainly Civil War relics and coins is what I would be looking for where I live.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Probably the ace 250. The Garrett camo pouch has the pro pointer holder built in to it. It's 11.95

I remember seeing one of the vendors here selling the pro pointer for 128 and you get a free lesche digging trowel.

I looked at that thread b4 I posted this, and after I posted it. It helped some. Thanks.

Really, like I tell all the new people to the hobby who ask about what detector to buy, is to (if possible) goto a local dealer so you can physically hold some detectors in your hand and play around with them and ask questions on the spot. BUT basically in this thread you will get the same few detectors. 1) Tesoro Compadre (no screen, but really the best performing detector in your range, and life time warranty) 2) Fisher F2 which is a great starter detector and has the numerical TID unlike garrett ace250/150 then 3) the Garrett Ace250, no numerical TID, but is liked by a lot of detectorist, some people have a bell tone phobia and dont use it lol, but still which ever one you pick, you will like IMO. they all have near the same features, entry level detectors aren't going to offer you top of the line features, but they will for sure get you hooked to the hobby. All 3 will let you discriminate.

HH,
DetectThis

Yes, I notice that. :) Is there anything wrong with Bounty Hunter ?? I see people like the Tracker iv alot. And the Pilot. But I don't see any interest in the forum about them. Is that because most here are not entry level users ?

Bounty Hunter's are not popular with experienced detecorist, but there is nothing WRONG with them, they are a First Texas made detector, so its the same company that's making Fishers and Teknetics, they are just not the best for your price budget IMO, if you get one it would work, and their are people who use them here as well. I have used the Bounty Hunter Platinum and it was not bad though I think that would be a bit over you budget. You will notice a lot of people are loyal to their brands. You will have a person who uses only fisher tell you F2, you will have a person only using Minelab tell you x-terra 305, you will have garrett users tell you ace250 ehe. But ya, Bounty Hunter detectors would work for you just fine if there is a model that peaks your interest. When buying a entry level detector its really just all about learning the hobby itself, learning where to hunt, learning how to dig targets, and really just seeing if you enjoy the hobby. Your second detector is going to be the detector you REALLY want to question and compare IMO..

HH,
DetectThis

Really, like I tell all the new people to the hobby who ask about what detector to buy, is to (if possible) goto a local dealer so you can physically hold some detectors in your hand and play around with them and ask questions on the spot. BUT basically in this thread you will get the same few detectors. 1) Tesoro Compadre (no screen, but really the best performing detector in your range, and life time warranty) 2) Fisher F2 which is a great starter detector and has the numerical TID unlike garrett ace250/150 then 3) the Garrett Ace250, no numerical TID, but is liked by a lot of detectorist, some people have a bell tone phobia and dont use it lol, but still which ever one you pick, you will like IMO. they all have near the same features, entry level detectors aren't going to offer you top of the line features, but they will for sure get you hooked to the hobby. All 3 will let you discriminate.

HH,
DetectThis

Always recommend that and did it myself, thats what make up my mind between the mxt, t2 ltd and at pro....you never know the weight, complexity or feel till you have it in your hands, also convinced me to get the gpp from the get go

Yes, I notice that. :) Is there anything wrong with Bounty Hunter ?? I see people like the Tracker iv alot. And the Pilot. But I don't see any interest in the forum about them. Is that because most here are not entry level users ?

I've only been doing this for a little over a month, just cos we talk a lot doesnt mean were old timers....look at their member since...

Look at a local store then price them out online, you might find the local store will give them to you for the same price, they are all close or some sponsors on here might give you a few dollars off

Bounty Hunter's are not popular with experienced detecorist, but there is nothing WRONG with them, they are a First Texas made detector, so its the same company that's making Fishers and Teknetics, they are just not the best for your price budget IMO, if you get one it would work, and their are people who use them here as well. I have used the Bounty Hunter Platinum and it was not bad though I think that would be a bit over you budget. You will notice a lot of people are loyal to their brands. You will have a person who uses only fisher tell you F2, you will have a person only using Minelab tell you x-terra 305, you will have garrett users tell you ace250 ehe. But ya, Bounty Hunter detectors would work for you just fine if there is a model that peaks your interest. When buying a entry level detector its really just all about learning the hobby itself, learning where to hunt, learning how to dig targets, and really just seeing if you enjoy the hobby. Your second detector is going to be the detector you REALLY want to question and compare IMO..

HH,
DetectThis
Makes alot of sense HH. ;)

Heck no! After 15 years I got my 5th one!

I use a bouty hunter platinum and I love it. Now I know the platinum is not in your bugget so there are other options.
First, check out the used detectors, many people buy a detector and than decide to upgrade or decide that they didn't like the hobby so you can get nice deals out of a used detector.
Second you will need a pinpointer so you just don't get frustraded looking for that coin that is in the middle of the dirt. Everyone will tell you to get a Garrett Pro pointer, that is the one I have, BUT I have seen and tested the Harbour freight pin pointer and it is a good starting point at just under $17 it just can't be beaten.
You will need a digging tool, lesche is what everyone wants but there are options, the ames true temper works well and it is under $15.
So let's say you get everything new
BH detector more or less $150
the PP and digger $35
if you have $200 tops you still have money to spare.

HH,
DetectThis

Also, ask the dealer if they have any discounted ones (used, demos, etc.). You might be able to buy up for the same price, and still gert a warrenty. Curt

You have no idea how many threads there is on this exact topic. Pick any of the sub 200 mds except Bounty Hunter. I've had three, so I think I'm qualified to say that.:D

Damn. I just had my mind made up on a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II w/ Pinpointer for $165. Until this last post. I can also get a !st Texas Pilot for $112 w/ some accessories. What's a good Civil War relic price guide to get ?? I have a coin price book already.

I just started the hobby about a month ago. Picked up the BH4 for around $100. After playing around with it in the backyard I found out a good hand shovel and pinpointer was needed. I bought a leche digger (looks like a rambo knife) for around 40 and got the pinpointer from harbor freight. Once you learn the machine I think it works great, I am very happy with it. I've found about 15 bucks in clad, 2 silver dimes, 1 silver quarter, and a silver spoon...and that's with about 15 hours of searching. It's a good entry level machine, but I am saving everything I fine and once I have found around $600 I plan to get an AT pro. It might take me 10 years, or I might find a diamond ring tomorrow, either way I'm having fun doing it.

but I am saving everything I fine and once I have found around $600 I plan to get an AT pro. It might take me 10 years, or I might find a diamond ring tomorrow, either way I'm having fun doing it.

Kinda what I'm thinking about doing. Selling the F5 and getting the AT Pro. When I was asking about an MD someone told me AT Pro. I think I should've listened.

Damn. I just had my mind made up on a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II w/ Pinpointer for $165. Until this last post. I can also get a !st Texas Pilot for $112 w/ some accessories. What's a good Civil War relic price guide to get ?? I have a coin price book already.

I would stay away from that Pilot if I were you.
Whether it goes under the name of Pioneer EX, the Quicksilver or the Pilot, they are all the same unit.
First Texas should be ashamed they make and sell this piece of junk.

Back
Top Bottom