hunting county property not marked posted question

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
In one of the metro area counties I have notices a lot of land parcels owned by the county that are near or on civil war battle sites or camp grounds.

They are not posted at all just wooded areas mostly near creeks where they cannot build anything because of flood plain issues. It seems like to me getting some government desk jockey giving me permission hunt is slim and none. Even if I could find the right person in the county to ask. These counties are loaded with neighborhoods, office parks and shopping centers, not rural counties.

I am inclined to just hunt and apologize and leave if confronted by any county official. Quite honestly once down in these wooded areas absolutely no would see me or just think me a government worker doing some survey work.

Anyone had experience with hunting on county properties like these?

I dont have any experience hunting areas like that, but I wouldn't hesitate if I had the chance.

Based on your description, I am picturing woods and lots that .... anyone can simply be walking their dog, etc.... Right ? Ok, then if normal pedestrian usage would not be forbidden, then .... I consider md'ing to be just as innocuous and benign as dog-walking, bird-watching, etc.....

Here where I am there are many such places, houses once stood but are now owned by the township and deemed unbuildable. I noticed one of these areas showed a house on the 1875 map and I could see it in old aerial photos. I never asked (As in line with "Tom theory" ) and I hunted the snot out of those areas! The township even mowed them for me !!:lol: One day the township guy showed up to mow, he spotted me and headed straight for me and I thought uh-oh. I was amazed when he said "het, I am going to start over there and when I get over this way could you move to where I mowed over there?" I said sure, so it is ok I detect here? He said he could care less and wished me good luck!

Chances are the areas you want to hunt will be no harm no foul, yes you may have the occasional nosey self proclaimed vacant land police but that can happen on land you have permission on (has to me). Worst case you may be asked to leave, stay polite and you will likely be fine either way.

Why are you reading this? if the sun is up you should be there finding great things! :laughing:

If it's owned by the county, it's owned by the public. The only thing I do is search the counties or cities online website, looking for the answer. If I don't see a specific no metal detecting, or no digging, I would have at it.

IF you ask someone who works there, you will more than likely get an answer based on their mood and opinion, not facts.

If it's owned by the county, it's owned by the public. The only thing I do is search the counties or cities online website, looking for the answer. If I don't see a specific no metal detecting, or no digging, I would

IF you ask someone who works there, you will more than likely get an answer based on their mood and opinion, not facts.
Yes, county property is public property that we pay taxes for. I have hunted several including our historic 1912 court house w/o problems as long as you dont interfere with the daily operations. Good luck.

If it's owned by the county, it's owned by the public. The only thing I do is search the counties or cities online website, looking for the answer. If I don't see a specific no metal detecting, or no digging, I would have at it.

+2

Chances are the areas you want to hunt will be no harm no foul, yes you may have the occasional nosey self proclaimed vacant land police but that can happen on land you have permission on (has to me). Worst case you may be asked to leave, stay polite and you will likely be fine either way.

Why are you reading this? if the sun is up you should be there finding great things! :laughing:

x4

I work areas like you are describing all of the time. Honestly, or dishonestly I guess, if someone came up and asked me, I would just tell them that I had permission and go about my business. I mean, do you need permission to take a walk or walk your dog? Do you need permission to go mushroom hunting? I figure that I'm just using the resource for recreation.

Why are you wasting time posting this question when you could be out there hunting it by now? Now get out there and find something, don't forget to post what you find.

Back
Top Bottom