Telescopic CF shaft

18kRonin

Forum Supporter
Got one of these on the way. Wondering if anyone has used one or seen any reviews on it? Things to look out for?

Made by Golen Mask Detectors in Bulgaria. Never heard of them before but they've been in business for 15 years.
They call that telescopic CF shaft "the Golden Mask Universal Handle". It's also sold on eBay.

Weighs 500g as seen in the pics. Heavier than a standard straight CF shaft but good for what I need it for. Mainly for water hunting wading, snorkeling and diving.

If nothing else great for traveling and if it's not good for sandy conditions I'll use it for dirt hunting with the GT hip mounted when traveling around on my Yamaha. :yes:

In the description it says it's good for big coils.

Fully retracted it's 57cm/ 22.5 inches and fully extended it's 141cm/ 55.5 inches.

First thing I'll try to do is get rid of the stand.

Will do a review later when I've given it a good work out.

Last edited:
I like it... its just a matter of time before sand and grit will make it inoperable though ;)

Made in Bulgaria.

many connections, a lot of places where it will play ... a lot of places where you can get sand ....

nice ... but I do not consider that a reliable long-term.

although Travel- just great!

imho ;)

Who Makes it / where did you get it? I look forward to your review.

That's pretty slick looking, who makes it?

Couldn't find much on that shaft, think it's from Golden Mask metal detectors in Bulgaria.

http://youtu.be/gvqqQzr_5LI

Looks like that shaft is used on allot of their machines. I got mine off eBay from a guy in Bulgaria.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Golden-Mask...322?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418c53bce2

Now that's a coil :lol:

http://youtu.be/iBtQMkm-RM8

Last edited:
I like it... its just a matter of time before sand and grit will make it inoperable though ;)

Made in Bulgaria.

many connections, a lot of places where it will play ... a lot of places where you can get sand ....

nice ... but I do not consider that a reliable long-term.

although Travel- just great!

imho ;)

Yeah I agree sand could be the BIG issue but couldn't find any reviews from guys using it. Could have an improved locking system. It was just one of those things I had to try :lol:
Worst case senario I've bought myself a rock solid "seized up" $100 CF shaft ;)

Last edited:
Just the shape of it folded down might cause problems trying to get on the subway. It looks like a machine gun. I usually tape my scoop pole and detector pole together and carry it as 1 unit.

also my homemade cf shaft is 1mm thick. I swing a heavy 12x16 coil and regularly lean on it when digging. There are also 50 holes drilled out to accomadate different detectors. despite all that there is no way I'm going to break it

Just the shape of it folded down might cause problems trying to get on the subway. It looks like a machine gun.

That's what violin cases are for :lol:

also my homemade cf shaft is 1mm thick. I swing a heavy 12x16 coil and regularly lean on it when digging. There are also 50 holes drilled out to accomadate different detectors. despite all that there is no way I'm going to break it

Not saying I don't like the CF one piece shaft, still going to get one in the near future.
I just like the idea of being able to adjust the telescopic's length for diving and traveling. I do quite a bit of traveling and use my homemade telescopic shaft for that. The only problem was the old homemade shaft was aluminum and when set up for diving the coil was too close to the metal on the shaft. Doesn't seem to effect the detectors performance just bugged me.

I have the GT straight shaft for my Excal and use my travel shaft on my DF, used it last hunt, real cheap and still does the job, just takes longer to set up. Fits in my suit case or backpack and when not traveling on public transport have it set up ready for use on my DF. That CF telescopic will hopefully replace it.

Still looking for a good 2 piece travel handle for my Stavr scoop. I have accidentally bumped into a few people while traveling with my scoop in crowded areas. :cuss::blush:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=99640

I was wondering myself where you intended to mount the machine? May take some thinking about the cable as well. Im not a fan of thos locks. It is a pretty piece of work thou.

After every hunt disassemble and rinse good it will always work. Looks like a nice rig for travel...heck is just use as my main one hh gl -Joe

I really like the looks but as others have said, it is trouble waiting to happen. Smaller then the ATX Fiberglass shaft....and they have problems with those locks. I've worn out 3 CTX shafts/locking mechanisms....when the warranty runs out next year I'm drilling and pinning the two shafts! (Oh boy, here goes another CTX bashing thread :laughing:) For someone that travels and doesn't hunt everyday....it looks like it would be a winner but for saltwater and sand and everyday use, I wouldn't suggest that one......but it sure does look great!!!
Cliff

I was wondering myself where you intended to mount the machine? May take some thinking about the cable as well. Im not a fan of thos locks. It is a pretty piece of work thou.

The cable I just run up the side of the shaft, use velcro cable ties and a wrap or two of tape if the cable is slipping down and take up the slack on the stress relief. Never liked the idea of coiling the cable around the shaft.
Yeah I'm not too keen on those cam locks ether Dew.

Had a similar problem with the Stavr scoops years ago, no one knew much about them. All I had to go on was the pics, the reasons I took the risk on getting one from an unknown person in a country I knew virtually nothing about was I liked the look of the design and the hex holes :yes: Had no idea of the knowledge and workmanship that went into them. Thought it was only the price of a ring so no big deal. Same goes for that shaft :yes:

After every hunt disassemble and rinse good it will always work. Looks like a nice rig for travel...heck is just use as my main one hh gl -Joe

Think that will be the way to go Joe, from the video looks like it can be stripped down easily.
Had a hell of a time getting my Ace 250 shaft apart after hunting on dry sand allot without cleaning it :lol:

I really like the looks but as others have said, it is trouble waiting to happen. Smaller then the ATX Fiberglass shaft....and they have problems with those locks. I've worn out 3 CTX shafts/locking mechanisms....when the warranty runs out next year I'm drilling and pinning the two shafts! (Oh boy, here goes another CTX bashing thread :laughing:) For someone that travels and doesn't hunt everyday....it looks like it would be a winner but for saltwater and sand and everyday use, I wouldn't suggest that one......but it sure does look great!!!
Cliff

Thanks Cliff, was wondering how those CTX shafts were holding up. I be running a poor man's CTX for a bit longer:lol: Yeah looks aren't everything but it helps :lol:, I'll try it out in the water for a couple of hunts and see how it goes but yeah not expecting trouble free results. But you never know.
Will update this thread when I know more. Still waiting for him to ship it :impatient:
Wow fast shipping. It arrived in 7 days.

Here is the Shaft on the machine that it was made for before they started to sell just the CF shaft to use on other detectors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom