4 hours in the surf lane yields a little gold, Jesus and my oldest coin ever

Joe G

Had today off as a vacation day so I hit the beach first thing this morning just before dead low.  Beautiful morning and there wasn't a soul around with a MD.  (highly unusual).

Found something every Baptist  needs... a set of Rosary beads :)  Thought for sure they were silver, but I don't see any marks.

34789%3A4%3A9%7Ffp355%3Enu%3D326%3B%3E%3A79%3E999%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3A6%3B488547nu0mrj

Then I found my oldest coin ever...  an 1894 Haitian 2 cent piece.  Someone obviously wore this around their neck at the beach.

34789%3A4%3A9%7Ffp348%3Enu%3D326%3B%3E%3A79%3E999%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3A6%3B48933%3Cnu0mrj

The this nice little ring.  No marks but it looks good under the loop.  I'll get it checked  out

34789%3A4%3A9%7Ffp358%3Enu%3D326%3B%3E%3A79%3E999%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3A6%3B478786nu0mrj

Here's the total for the day

34789%3A4%3A9%7Ffp34%3A%3Enu%3D326%3B%3E%3A79%3E999%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3A6%3B479%3B83nu0mrj

Well, living on LI, I've got plenty of beaches but they don't always produce like this.  Fortunately for me there wasn't anyone there with a MD this morning.  Competition is pretty fierce around here :grin:

While I've got beaches, I don't have a lot of "history".  I've found an occasional silver but nothing with any age.

Thanks!

:shock: Nice going! Love the coin, the rosary and the ring! Not bad at all!

hoser said:
Good going Joe. hey, what does that pressed penny say on it?

"Jones Beach State park"... That's where I was hunting :grin:

Nice going Joe... That looks like a ruby but it could be lab created as well..

Cfmct-PI said:
Nice going Joe... That looks like a ruby but it could be lab created as well..

It LOOKS like gold and it LOOKS like a ruby (there's also two very tiny "diamonds")  Heck, it's good enough for me :grin:

I'm just glad my machine is working so much better now.

Great Job Joe.

What field was that? I've been tackling field 2 all week with zilch. I have about 20 dollars in clad and a fake toe ring. I really wish I would step in that stuff you stepped in. Again Great job

HH
Jose

beach bum NY said:
Great Job Joe.

What field was that?  I've been tackling field 2 all week with zilch. I have about 20 dollars in clad and a fake toe ring. I really wish I would step in that stuff you stepped in. Again Great job

HH
Jose

What machine are you swinging?

BTW, Look at where it's most crowded and work from the high tide mark to the shallow surf at low tide. Go slow and grid out an area til you find the "sweet" spot or the "line"; where stuff is deposited. If you're picking up deep quarters or heavy stuff, work that line. You'll see by your holes that they're all in a line along the shoreline. That's where you need to concentrate. If the sand is mushy, forget it... stuff is buried but if your running into firm sand, black sand, you're cool. Look for cuts at the high tide area and work it from the cut down to the surf. Also look for any channels in the sand that might be uncovering some goodies. Everything I found was real deep. The ring was an iffy signal a good 5 or 6 scoops down with a Monster scoop..

Let's hook up some time!

HH,

Joe

Very cool finds. Jones beach gets TONS of people which is defiantly a great place to hunt. Jow do you need a permit for Jones?

Technically, you need a permit for State Parks, including beaches. However, in 2 years, I've never been asked to show one at the beach although I've heard that they do. If you dig dirt in any of the State parks on the list, you definitely need a permit. I get asked for mine almost every time I go. There's also rules on where and when you can hunt. Parks are off limits from Memorial day until after Labor day.

You can get a permit at the State park headquarters near Belmont Lake. Wait until January. If you get it now, it'll only be good til the end of the year.

Hey Joe, great finds! What is that that you are using to display your rings when photographing? Is that bubble wrap? Styrofoam? Looks good, and really shows the ring well.

Thanks...

I guess it's like styrofoam. It was actually from a little plastic box someone gave me to hold some dry flies. I just cut a little slit in it to hold the ring.

Well Done Joe
I can only guess which beach. Was able to get out myself this weekend. Good count on coins, but the beach had a lot of MDers. Excal was still able to work over what they hit,HE HE HE.
Nice Find
L.I. Mike

I hit the low tide on a week day (got there before sunrise) that's why there was no one there... (although that was still unusual) Like you mentioned, there are always a ton of people with MD's. Most are using excals, some GT's... I seem to be the only one with an Exp. Some signs of small cuts when I was there but everything I found was very deep.

Joe G said:
beach bum NY said:
Great Job Joe.

What field was that? I've been tackling field 2 all week with zilch. I have about 20 dollars in clad and a fake toe ring. I really wish I would step in that stuff you stepped in. Again Great job

HH
Jose

BTW, Look at where it's most crowded and work from the high tide mark to the shallow surf at low tide. Go slow and grid out an area til you find the "sweet" spot or the "line"; where stuff is deposited. If you're picking up deep quarters or heavy stuff, work that line. You'll see by your holes that they're all in a line along the shoreline. That's where you need to concentrate. If the sand is mushy, forget it... stuff is buried but if your running into firm sand, black sand, you're cool. Look for cuts at the high tide area and work it from the cut down to the surf. Also look for any channels in the sand that might be uncovering some goodies. Everything I found was real deep. The ring was an iffy signal a good 5 or 6 scoops down with a Monster scoop..

Let's hook up some time!

HH,

Joe
Great info Joe!!!! Thanks for the lesson!

Back
Top Bottom