Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Old 05-18-2020, 08:57 PM
Supporter

Default Replacing obsolete coil cover

Purchased a Lobo ST and it was missing a coil cover. Not a big deal but none found on search since it's out of production.

Looking to get a kydex sheet from amazon, heat it up, and form it over the coil. Fairly straightforward, other than not having worked with kydex before.

Will proceed with caution but if anyone has words of advice on kydex I'll be sure to heed.

As a random note I picked up both a LST and standard Lobo and will be comparing them at some point. Found that I liked elliptical coils, wasn't sure if I'd like the SuperTraq auto balance vs manual, and both came up as fairly cheap units.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:03 PM
Elite Member

Use Plaati-Dip. Lite coats.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Old 05-19-2020, 08:21 AM
Supporter

If that doesn't work then try truck bed liner

Old 05-21-2020, 12:53 AM
Supporter

I haven't worked with Kydex, or even heard of it until a minute ago, but if it is anything like the video is to believed I wish it was around years ago! I can understand your interest in Kydex and the ability to even remove/replace it too when needed. If you give it a go let us know how it turned out for you.

Incidentally if you don't have any luck with the Kydex you may get a 3D print shop to make you a few from ABS material. I mention that as I've had custom prints done (Philco tombstone radio (empty) project with a Echo Dot gen 3 and goodies) and they were amazing and really make the project shine - especially when I ever find the time to finish it maybe this winter.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:29 PM
Supporter

Thanks.

It looks like this won't get done because I got a bum unit. Should work out fine returning. Good suggestions here if anyone needs to come up with coil protection and can't find a cover.