Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Cleaning Your Finds

Old 05-11-2020, 09:51 PM

Default Pewter button preservation

Have a few pewter buttons in good shape that I'd like to preserve properly. I've seen some old threads on a water and white glue concoction applied to them so is this still the preferred method. I have some Renisance Wax but not sure that's what I should be using although I heard it to preserve most anything. All thoughts welcomed.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:47 PM
Elite Member

I haven't yet tried preserving pewter but have some old spoons. they tend to just fall apart which is the thinned white glue reason. The glue soaks into the pours to bind the metal so it does fall apart.

Renisance Wax is to seal the surface from moisture and air. Pewter needs the glue first. Then the wax to seal the surface.

Guessing you probably have old pewter spoons if you find pewter buttons. Experiment on some of the spoon pieces first to see how the glue works.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:24 PM

The white glue/water method is very good. Dousing them with water soluble hairspray works excellent as well. I have used hairspray on a couple of flaky Rev War pewter buttons and they have held up remarkably well now for 7 years or so with no deterioration. I just give then a quick re-spray every couple of years.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:48 PM
Elite Member

Quick question, are you guys talking about gluing to preserve buttons that are already flaking and falling apart or buttons that still look good? My dug pewter buttons look great and are whole..just curious if the pewter is going to fall apart on my shelf or if this is something that was rotten you guys are trying to hold together?

Old 05-12-2020, 06:09 PM
Elite Member

The pewter I have found is flaking apart so the glue method would hold it together.

If the Pewter you found is still solid then it shouldn't fall apart on your shelf. There is plenty of old pewter around that is in good condition.

If your buttons are good then just a little Renaissance Wax should be all you need.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:13 PM
Elite Member

Thanks for the info, I use Renaissance wax on pretty much everything now.