Quick hike to a past dump turns up a new '20s Deco beer!

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
Went out early Saturday to a location I dug over 15 years ago and started stabbin' with the probe just for the heck of it. Found some broken bottles from the earlier dig :roll: so I tried another spot nearby and heard the clunk of glass. Didn't have a shovel so probe-dug this 1920's Deco Blatz beer out since it was only about 6" down.
VAL BLATZ BREWING Co. and on bottom: PAT. MAY 4 1926
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentin_Blatz_Brewing_Company

Since this dates during Prohibition, it probably contained either Near Beer or Soda.

I make it a habit to occasionally revisit my digging spots to see if I miss anything, as the saying goes, "No spot is all dug out":lol:

Attachments

• blatz a.jpg
    blatz a.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 769
  • blatz b.jpg
    blatz b.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 693
Last edited:
Coolness! I remember the later paper triangular-shaped logo from when I was a kid, (I was assembling a large can collection way back when you could still dig cone tops).

Appears that Pabst is still brewing Blatz?

Love that shape, great dig!

Coolness! I remember the later paper triangular-shaped logo from when I was a kid, (I was assembling a large can collection way back when you could still dig cone tops).

Appears that Pabst is still brewing Blatz?

Love that shape, great dig!

Yeah I collected the beer cans too, still have 'em all, packed away.

Here's a couple I was able to get to:

Attachments

• BlatzCans.jpg
    BlatzCans.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 658
Blatz is still very much in business. My buddy that lives near Fond du Lac, Wis keeps them in business!

That’s a great bottle. Great job getting out there and finding some stuff during the nice weather. Also love the beer cans.

I’d love to see what you have packed away for cans if you’re willing to dig them out and show us. My son and I have just started dabbling after finding a dump with 1000s and 1000s of old flats and cone tops. We have spent a few weeks now cleaning them with oxalic to turn them from rusty mysteries into readable and often times nice condition cans.

I’ll have to put a post up about it

I’ve been cleaning 100s and 100s of dumpers. Apparently this dump has great variety and some rare cans that lots of guys seem to want. Some of them with only a few examples in any condition (ie, Cremo beer jspout cone)

That is a really cool bottle! Amazing the artistic work put into the old bottles

Very cool! My dad is a blatz brewriana collector. He has a pretty impressive collection.

Back
Top Bottom