Time for an upgrade...

Captain Silver

Elite Member
Was out hunting a new to me spot, noticed a guy park his truck, and start towards me on the other end of the field. Uh oh, maybe I'm not supposed to be hunting here...Turns out to be an older gentleman who proceeds to tell me, I'm going to hunt a little ways down the road, wanna join me? Ok, but I thought the place you're going is off limits....Turns out it's not, and it's a good low trash area...Get there, hunt for about an hour. He, with his 1K unit, pro-pointer, and that red handled digger, (which ain't the red handled digger from H.D. that I use), beat me by only a dollar or so in clad. Me, with my Bounty Hunter, and no pinpointer felt ok, kinda keeping up with his pace, then...Was a worn, no date large cent he pulls up, from about 10 inches or so.. I couldn't get even a blip on it at 8 inch air test...So, what I'm in the market for is a MD that will pick up on a 10" deep coin, clad or old. Don't need bells and whistles, the meters and readout screens, pushbuttons and settings you have to program, things like that, just knobs to tweak, and the ability, once I learn the sounds different objects make, to be able to tell that it's a coin. buried 10" deep, from what I hear, not from a screen with an icon or depth bar telling me to dig or not, I can figure it out myself, I think.....I can off my Walker and Merc coin folders, and some other scrap silver to come up with say 6 bills, is there a unit in that price range that will do the job, here in the semi-trashy CT parks, as I'm not a lookin' for gold at the beach kinda guy, mostly a grass and woods hunter? Any recommendations/advice from you all would be appreciated...Bruce

Tesoro Cibola would do the trick. Or Tesoro Silver with 12x10 coil. Still have $$$ for a ProPointer. Or Vaquero. But if you have $600 to spend look for a used MXT, or an AT Pro or an Xterra or Teknetics 8000 Or...

Almost all of the detectors which run between $800 and $1100 new are quite simple to use and can be had for about 2/3 of their retail price, when bought used. Most should be able to hit a large cent at 10".

I would take a look into tue Garrett AT pro, Fisher F5 and Teknetics 8000/6000. All very good machines. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. Love to help you. Bart

How about this one...

A less than a year old Garrett GTI 2500, with the 11-1/2" imaging coil, the 9-1/2" imaging coil, and a 4-1/2" non-imaging coil, and a couple extra little things, for $400...And I can road test before I decide if I like it, it in a place known for good finds, with the owner as my coach. Will this get the depth/accuracy in moderately trashy areas, that say a E-Trac or F75 can achieve, with the right person operating it?

And if you for some reason don't like it or just want to try something else, you could sell it for a profit towards another machine. I say go for it!

somedays I wished I could change my radio shack Md for a better one. sometimes it go's off when I'm just holding it.

somedays I wished I could change my radio shack Md for a better one. sometimes it go's off when I'm just holding it.

Well if 77 doesn't like it.. he can sell it to you.. prob just shipping more...good luck..

77, that is a good deal.. another note, I love my MXT Pro, came with a few acc's as well..NED gave me a great deal.. look for andrew or bigboar on here..

I was told it came from NED, and they're here in town should I have any problems, which I doubt I will, besides the learning curve:lol:. Kinda odd how this whole thing fell in my lap while out MD'n a new to me spot, that's now leading to other proven good huntin' spots... I could use some better luck than I've been having lately, hopefully this works out good.

Wow, I wish NED was right around the corner, I am jealous... I don't have an MD shop anywhere close.. everything on the Whites sites are pawn shops, they know nothing about MDing and want to charge you the MSRP..

Good Luck, looks like your luck is changing for the better..

posted by scuba joe

Joe i live in Maryland ,New England Detectors gave me a great deal on a F75 Se,it got to me quick,they are on the East coast,it should only take 2 or 3 days to get to you UPS,Talk to Andrew,he has a large stock of most all brands of machines,great guy to deal with Earl

Back
Top Bottom