Ready for upgrade

biliff1

Elite Member
OK, so this is my dilema. I am relatively new to the MD hobby, but I am hooked like a catfish! I bought an ACE 250 and it works great, I enjoy hunting with others so I can share the excitement of finding cool stuff. So, I bout a whites coinmaster for an extra machine in case anybody wants to go with me. The whites coinmaster was promptly confiscated by my son who is equally as enthusiastic as me. Now I want to replace my (once extra) machine with another so my wife can go with me. I figure I can give her the ACE 250 and I will upgrade for myself. I loved what I read and heard about the whites V3i, but the cost is holding me back for a couple of reasons. First, there are so many features, I am afraid that I won't learn them very easily, therefore not use them and waste the money paid for them. Second, I don't know if I need the depth that it will detect. I've dug up a lot of trash at 6 + inches with the ACE and now tend to pass deep signals up. What I like is that the V3i operates at 3 frequencies and I can definately see the advantage in the accuracy. All other machines operate on 1 or 2 frequencies. I do alot of relic/coin hunting but would also love to find gold. I live near Long Island sound so beach hunting will also be added to my list, but the ACE is not very good for wet salt sand. I want my upgrade to be enough of one that will greatly increase accuracy in identification, be decent for most applications (I don't hunt meteors or prospect for raw gold), relatively easy to learn, and be enough of an upgrade to satisfy me for a few years.... Is such a machine made? Sorry for the long post but, I am really confused between what I want and what I NEED. I really like the Whites line of products, too. Maybe the Whites girl will read this and make a suggestion, but I welcome ALL opinions from the wealth of knowlege found on this forum. Thanks!

the garrett GTI series are easy ta learn and save lots of time not diggin non-coin sized objects with its "imaging" feature

I haven't looked at either of those yet. I know both are top brands, so I guess I'll look at those too. Easier learning is best for me since I was a child of the 70s.... nuff said?

Have you look at the fisher f75 LT. I heard it goes really deep. BigBoys hobbies can give you a special price for being a forum member.

I'd get a waterproof ( >100' ) MD unless you think you will NEVER EVER use it in the water. If you like Whites now, look at their line of submersibles, but I think I read somewhere on here that the Whites isn't as good for the beaches along the East coast, that the Excalibur is better. You might contact the dealers and ask why should I buy YOUR detector over THEIR detector?

While it is $$$pricey$$$ the Excal works on 17 freqs if I remember correctly and I am sure there are others that do as well. Research well and if you can rent and try each before buying, do so! Maybe someone on here in your area will let you try theirs, that's how I ended up with the MD I have now and I have had the chance to try out a couple of the upgrades I'm looking at now.

HH

OK, so this is my dilema. I am relatively new to the MD hobby, but I am hooked like a catfish! I bought an ACE 250 and it works great, I enjoy hunting with others so I can share the excitement of finding cool stuff. So, I bout a whites coinmaster for an extra machine in case anybody wants to go with me. The whites coinmaster was promptly confiscated by my son who is equally as enthusiastic as me. Now I want to replace my (once extra) machine with another so my wife can go with me. I figure I can give her the ACE 250 and I will upgrade for myself. I loved what I read and heard about the whites V3i, but the cost is holding me back for a couple of reasons. First, there are so many features, I am afraid that I won't learn them very easily, therefore not use them and waste the money paid for them. Second, I don't know if I need the depth that it will detect. I've dug up a lot of trash at 6 + inches with the ACE and now tend to pass deep signals up. What I like is that the V3i operates at 3 frequencies and I can definately see the advantage in the accuracy. All other machines operate on 1 or 2 frequencies. I do alot of relic/coin hunting but would also love to find gold. I live near Long Island sound so beach hunting will also be added to my list, but the ACE is not very good for wet salt sand. I want my upgrade to be enough of one that will greatly increase accuracy in identification, be decent for most applications (I don't hunt meteors or prospect for raw gold), relatively easy to learn, and be enough of an upgrade to satisfy me for a few years.... Is such a machine made? Sorry for the long post but, I am really confused between what I want and what I NEED. I really like the Whites line of products, too. Maybe the Whites girl will read this and make a suggestion, but I welcome ALL opinions from the wealth of knowlege found on this forum. Thanks!

Well the guy I got my V3 From and the older Vision that I used really had a rough go of it at the beach, it really didnt do well. Like your Ace for wet sand, it probably will not fair much better. The guy I got the V3 from said it was impossible to hunt wet sand with it. I handed him the money and said thankyou thinking this guy is nuts for selling it at the price I got it at and as far as beach come on it a whites its going to work fine.

Well turns out he was right I hit the dry sand no problem once it hit wet it wouldnt pick up anything I did ground ballence this that and the other. The best luck I have had was having a dry machine and a water machine, you talked budget it a tough call for the price of the V3 you could end up with a water hunter for the beach and another land hunter you might do better with that. I didnt have much luck with the machine at the beach at all, I walked over to a guy that had 8 gold rings in his hand and I walked away with pocket change maybe some pennies...

I'd get a waterproof ( >100' ) MD unless you think you will NEVER EVER use it in the water. If you like Whites now, look at their line of submersibles, but I think I read somewhere on here that the Whites isn't as good for the beaches along the East coast, that the Excalibur is better. You might contact the dealers and ask why should I buy YOUR detector over THEIR detector?

While it is $$$pricey$$$ the Excal works on 17 freqs if I remember correctly and I am sure there are others that do as well. Research well and if you can rent and try each before buying, do so! Maybe someone on here in your area will let you try theirs, that's how I ended up with the MD I have now and I have had the chance to try out a couple of the upgrades I'm looking at now.

HH

This... Even if you are not going to hunt water, an unexpected rain storm could wreck your day fast.....

Have you thought about getting a AT pro? If you ask around you can get one for $500 or less.

Thanks everybody. I did a little research on the posts that I got and agree that the V3 is not for me. I am thinking between a Garrett 2500 or an AT PRO

AtPro

i agree with Bart the atpro is a good beach wet sand,waterproof to 10ft and good coin machine,thats what i would upgrade to,won't brake the bank :yes:

Back
Top Bottom