Almost tossed it out.

BentRod

Elite Member
Last week I did a short hunt at a local empty lot. All I had found was some trash and a couple of zinc Ball canning jar lids. Since the lids had the "Ball" embossed on them I didn't think them all that old. I tossed my finds in a bucket in the garage when I got home. Yesterday while moving some items around I noticed that one of the things I'd dumped in the bucket had fallen on the floor. I was about to toss it away when I noticed that the mud that was caked on it had dried and flaked away. Underneath I saw the stamp. Cleaning it up revealed that it was a dog tax license….from 1911! That's the oldest dog license I've found. And to think I almost tossed it in the trash! :D

Attachments

• IMG_1010.jpg
    IMG_1010.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 882
Now that is a cool find. You've got me beat. I have 24 tags so far. 22 of which I detected at a bear hunting club I belong to. I found a 1926 last December and the 1940 was an eyeball find from years ago.
Congrats on a super find.

4-3-15%20002%20Dog%20Tags_zpsi9apkvgx.jpg

Thanks All
Dirty G, those are some good looking tags. To date the few I've found have been modern with the oldest being from the '60s. Never expected to find one quite this old.

Ahhhhhh! That's like my 1907! Is there a dog where the holes are? That one is valuable according to this dog tag guy I've been talking to. I love digging dog tags

Ahhhhhh! That's like my 1907! Is there a dog where the holes are? That one is valuable according to this dog tag guy I've been talking to. I love digging dog tags

Hey Swing,
No, there does not appear to be a dog near either hole. What makes this one valuable? Rarity? I know there is a collector market for these things, but don't know much about them myself.
Thanks for the info.

Hey Swing,
No, there does not appear to be a dog near either hole. What makes this one valuable? Rarity? I know there is a collector market for these things, but don't know much about them myself.
Thanks for the info.

Just rarity in year and number being low. My 1907 Seattle tag #1107 has a standing $30 offer, so that's pretty good in my book. So maybe not hundreds, but for what it is if you got a good find. I'd never sell mine.

Just rarity in year and number being low. My 1907 Seattle tag #1107 has a standing $30 offer, so that's pretty good in my book. So maybe not hundreds, but for what it is if you got a good find. I'd never sell mine.

Yeah, I'd say that's pretty good too. Thanks again. Was just curious. I think it's cool just to find something that old.

Back
Top Bottom