• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Second hunt with the Sand Shark

imalookin2

"In Memory Of"
Forum Supporter
Went to my local beach today and detected for about 2 hours. Found some clad, some fish hooks, 3 bobby pins and 3 tabs. I also found some junk jewelery but I am excited for my second time out. The gold colored ear ring I believe is gold plate. I found it 10" down and it came out clean like you see. I found Jesus too. He is from Italy according the the back. I thought he was from the middle east! I think I enjoy the physical exercise more than anything. :D My location today was Hugenot Park north of Mayport NAS Florida. I included a picture of the Carnival Cruse ship heading out along the jetties into the Atlantic. My next trip is just up the road to Amelia Island. I am going to hunt the beach in front of the Ritz Carlton. I bet there is real jewelery there!!! I am a dreaming...Beautiful day today!

Attachments

• IMG_1935.JPG
    IMG_1935.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1937.JPG
    IMG_1937.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1934.JPG
    IMG_1934.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 181
The cross is a good find. Is that jade under Jesus?

I cleaned it again thinking it was cheap plate and plastic and then I started seeing something else. I think it is silver, not plate and I think it is jade, and not plastic. I may be ready to do the happy dance yet! I do not have any silver cleaner but tomorrow I WILL. :D:D:D

I realized the areas that look flaked and dull are actually salt deposits. I gently scraped them off and everything under is shiny. We will see!! I am excited again. It does say Italy on the back and we all know they make good jewelery. I will re-post tomorrow with the results of my cleaning.

Always look at your finds carefully I read here on "friendly" just yesterday. I remembered that advise. I thought this cross I found today was junk jewelery but I think I am wrong. It was crusty with salt and looked dull with flaking plating of some sort. The flaking was salt deposits. Since I am a newbie I did not know better.

This was 10" down in wet sand. The Jesus hands, feet and tablet above his head are pinned through to the back. The tablet says NR. The back looks tarnished with some gold tones and it says Italy at the bottom. Careful scraping through the tarnished back shows silver. I believe it is Jade behind Jesus. Any one seen this before? I will put it in silver cleaner tomorrow but I think it will shine like new once all the salt crud is gone.

Tell me what you think! I am waiting to do the happy dance for the first time!!!!!!! I love this hobby. :egyptian:

Attachments

• IMG_1942.JPG
    IMG_1942.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 157
Back
Top Bottom