Kansas City

tjr35

Elite Member
I am looking into moving to the Kansas City Area in the near future for family reasons. Do we have any members here from that area? I am looking for a little help. We have seen that the Overland Park area is nice. Are there any other areas that you would recommend? Also, who are the areas big employers? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Grew up in the area. Avoid the Grandview Triangle area as traffic is miserable, no matter what they do there....they've been trying to fix the triangle for decades.

OP is ok, but kind of snobbish. I would stay more to the outskirts on the KS side. If you work on the MO side, you will also pay KCMO city taxes even if you live in Kansas. Both have CCW permits available if you care to arm yourself and your family.

I will send an email to a friend still living there, to see what the state of the suburbs is, and will make some more detailed suggestions later.

What do you do for a living? That would help in pointing you toward jobs. ow far are you willing to commute?

Good info.

I heard that about OP, but the schools there seem really good which is a big factor for my little guys.

Good to know about the taxes deal, that is something I never considered.

I am a General Engineer for a big company, my main job is in electronic security and access control. I have been with them for 10 years. I know they have a branch there that I could transfer with if an opening comes up, but need to expect to start fresh. Would like a Gov. Job if possible.

Thanks for your help.

I lived in the KC area for about 30 years. OP is pretty expensive living, as Shawnee Mission, Shawnee, and the other outlining areas. If the MO side would work for you, Lee's Summit is a fairly descent area. There are nice areas of Lee's Summit that wouldn't cost near what the Kansas side would. My wife knows more about the areas than I do. I'll talk to her and get back to you.

Here is what my friend who lives in KCK says:

Stay out of Grandview on the Missouri. Also in Missouri, Hyde Park, Waldo, Brookside and West Plaza are overrated and overpriced. If I had to do it, I'd pick West Plaza or Valentine-Roanoake. But the KCMO schools are totally trashed, so avoid if you can. Independence schools are no better, and worse on the safety and real estate front. Unless you like living in a beautiful older home next door to a bunch of hillbillies, that is.

Overland Park is fine, but stay away from anything north of 75th street, unless the payments are super low or the house is super nice. Olathe is fine. Prairie Village is expensive, but worth it. Roeland Park is OK, but not great. Same with Mission. West Plaza slops over to the Kansas side and it's better on our side than theirs. Remember the schools.

Remind the person that working in KCMO and living on the Kansas side can cost tax money. It's much easier to live and work in the same state, unless you want a hassle from the Kansas State Department of Revenue. And they're in financial trouble, as I'm sure you know, so they will come after you for every penny.

Hope this helps you tjr35, btw is that electronic information security (IT stuff) or physical building security stuff?

Back
Top Bottom