Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Stories and Pictures of Finds

Old 07-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Elite Member

Default Bleachers

Thanks for the tip about the bleachers!
I just went back to the hs on lunch break and moved one,
found a total of $1.45 in clad in less than an hour.
Probably half of it under the bleachers!
HH

AT-PRO NOX 600 YTD (2)gold (35)silver (6)ster (33)IH (158)wheatie (0) gold coins Oldest 1802 KG III, Silver Dollar Club!

Members of Friendly Metal Detecting Forums have rated post 177416 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Old 08-02-2010, 12:26 AM

tinfoil- thanks a lot for the story. i'm just getting started myself!!!!!

Old 08-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Elite Member

Awesome story and post.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:49 PM

Thank you for sharing that story. I too am very discouraged by finding nothing but rusted nails and fish hooks. Beer tabs and all the rest. But like you, I will keep going. I just need to find a good spot. U would think it would be easy since I am in an old farm/tobacco/gold mine section. But nothing so far!!

Happy hunting!

Old 09-07-2010, 12:21 AM

Always love a good story! thanks.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:25 AM

Long, a little. Boring, not at all. I'm just getting restarted into DT'ing with my kids and we're at that golden stage where it's still exciting to find even the junk.

Even if the ring's not worth much intrinsically, the important thing is that it's valuable as a part of your personal story as a treasure hunter. Definitely worth moving over some bleachers and dancing in the sun with an exposed crack!

Thanks for the story and HH.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:21 PM

Thanks for sharing.
I'm new to this hobby (waiting on my first MDer) and I figured there must be days of finding nothing but trash.

Just like fishing...except in dirt!

Old 10-02-2010, 09:51 PM

Been tecting for over 2yrs now and as stated earlier,
you just work through the slumps because the next
gold ring or other great find is just a swing away

Old 10-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Elite Member

Very inspiring story. Thanks! Been there done that! Got to research, get out and keep digging.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:33 PM

I feel ur pain and ur pleasure. The funny thing is, if I find something great after along days hunt and sore from digging, i'll show my wife my finds like some proud dog that found a bone in the yard and she will say "get that dirty !!!! out the house".

Old 03-18-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by doh View post
she will say "get that dirty !!!! out the house".
LOL! So funny mine says the same thing!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Supporter

Good Story. Thanks for the motivation

Old 03-24-2011, 11:52 PM
Elite Member

Thanks for the story, I concur. I have had some bad days and I finally decided to change my mindset about the whole thing. I'm now patient and thorough in my searching and try not to get discouraged. tenacity, patience and being thorough eventually pays off with the pleasure of good finds.

Luckily I already have gold fever from gold panning and sluicing so Metal Detecting serves to keep me from jones-ing to get out prospecting. so does metal detecting have a term like gold fever? hmm..

Happy hunting

Old 03-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Official Tot Lot King

Being a new coinshooter, I thoroughly enjoyed your story! Thanks for the wordsmithing! I am certain that remembering your victory dance will be on my mind when I have a bad day.

I have this bad site....have found little of value there....yet. Visited this totyard twice and have a mem. penny for each trip, but my first find there was a costume gold looking bracelet along with 4 jeans buttons...the kind on girl's jeans that button above the zipper. All different designs....make you wonder...What does go on in that park at night! Anyway, this morning i am over there again before work and hit it for 40 minutes...one mem cent! But an elderly man walks up and starts chatting. He tells me he finds pennies on the side walk, several a week! LOL He's doing better than me! But then he says he was walking last week out by the main road and found $37 rolled up on the edge of the pavement! I might better drive slower when I into the park and watch the road edges too!

In two trips now I have covered only about 1/4 of this totyard...it has mulch and it is very difficult to dig, not like those with gravel where I can use my sifter....(I call those trips my "practicing for the beach" hunts! ).

Added note on May 4, 2011: Well, I hunted that yard a total of 8 times and found a couple of pocket spills...one 83 cents! And after hunting another few playgrounds, on a fluke on the way home I decided to stop by an abandoned drive-in restuarant. Found a spot with over 1380 coins in one 3 by 3 foot area! I just went back yesterday and dug the last of it till my detector had no hits...6 5-gallon buckets of dirt!

So there is a bonanza out there if you think outta the box! Just keep that coil swinging!

Anyway, thanks again!

Old 06-14-2011, 10:40 PM

Spent 3 Hours on the Beach last night. Swung my behind off, did not get a damn thing, but bear cans 12 inches deap. But I dug em, In the surf and I am fixin to go under. I love this hobby.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:28 AM

Love your post... It inspires. Im not at the point I want to quit yet, prob wont be for a long while yet, its a lot of fun thinking "what could be at this site" and I really need the exercise anyways. This post does give me a little more motivation... too bad its 2:38am here or Id be back out there again! lol

Old 06-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Elite Member

Default Thank you for the post

Learned something and enjoyed the story. I especially identify with the soreness and the crack-sunning business. In this hobby, it really helps to know someone else who metal detects. I met another metal detector yesterday and he told me he had found a silver dime just the other day in a park I believed to be hunted out. This and my Indian head penny find has renewed my love of md. Your story is the icing on the cake!

Old 07-13-2011, 10:25 PM

Great Story! As a newbie I need to hear that it is slow going at times. I try to get out as often as I can. With just three weeks - found about 3.50 in change. Today I found my first wheat back. I was sooo happy....

Old 08-30-2011, 10:54 PM

Default A note of inspiration

A very good(Great Story!) indeed. The highs and lows we encounter are just a fact of life! I have been pretty much a loaner when it comes to detecting!
My Wife has no interest in the hobby I just recently found this forum, now I do have people to share my treasures with! most folks I know, who detect act like it's a competitive sport! I think its great to share ideas and tips! Like fishing,way too many lakes to fish! too many areas to detect! I am more then happy to share my spots.(and stories) keep researching and keep digging and you will find your "Treasure"..HH..C-Dog

Old 09-04-2011, 06:56 PM

Thumbs up

I second that notion!!! post of the year!!!! wonderful and altho M&M are very new.....we have had those days as well!!!