Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 09-25-2019, 02:38 PM

Default Condemned Properties

Found an old house and property that has a sign posted by the Town since
2017 that the house is condemned. Was wondering if its ok to hunt this area?

Old 09-25-2019, 03:13 PM
Supporter

Condemned means nobody is allowed to live in it. It doesn't mean there isn't an owner.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:39 PM
Elite Member

A lot of condemned properties here end up being owned by the city. Once they belong to the city I consider them free game. I don't hunt well maintained curb strips but will on distressed property. I might even hit the house side of the sidewalk a little bit.
I have found most condemned property is extremely trashy, they stop paying the trash bill long before the place gets bad enough to be condemned.
My last property taken over by the city was too trashed to be fun until somebody stole the 10x12 mini barn. There was no trash under it, just a couple dozen wheat pennies and a lone silver merc.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:00 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Kenkando View post
Found an old house and property that has a sign posted by the Town since
2017 that the house is condemned. Was wondering if its ok to hunt this area?
You're asking this on a forum where some folks think we need permission to hunt city sand boxes. So .... go figure the range of answers you will get.

I never hesitate to hit such locations. Does this mean you'll have "red-carpets rolled out for you" and find someone to give you an express "yes" ? Probably not.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
You're asking this on a forum where some folks think we need permission to hunt city sand boxes. So .... go figure the range of answers you will get.

I never hesitate to hit such locations. Does this mean you'll have "red-carpets rolled out for you" and find someone to give you an express "yes" ? Probably not.
Just wondering what everybody does.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:37 PM
Elite Member

I just google houses for sale in my town,or adjoining towns and the ones listed as (bank foreclosure ) I hit up on the weekends..never had a problem,never had to ask anyone..

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:43 PM
Elite Member

Go for it shouldn't have any problems. Going to hunt a few this weekend myself. Tell them Tom said it's ok

Old 09-27-2019, 01:07 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post

lmao!! Pretty much this.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:24 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by yooper69 View post
Go for it shouldn't have any problems. Going to hunt a few this weekend myself. Tell them Tom said it's ok
I do that. First time was at a cool 1900's school that the city had just sold to a developer. Construction worker comes out and tells me it's private property now. I told him I talked to Tom and he said it was ok. He was cool with that and we never discussed who Tom was or his authority to give me permission. It's worked 3 out of 4 times now. The golf course Pro was the only one who asked who Tom was.

A property has to be more than just condemned before I call it open. My last questionable property was for sale, years vacant, next door to a repair shop that was working on my car. The property owner was doing 20 years in prison for human trafficking, the realtor had asked the shop owner to keep an eye on the property. She didn't think anyone would care and that was close enough to permission for me.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:38 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Scooterjim View post
... He was cool with that and we never discussed who Tom was or his authority to give me permission. It's worked 3 out of 4 times now....
Haha. Seriously now : I knew a guy who would ACTUALLY DO something similar : If anyone kicked him out of an after hours old-town demolition site, he would say the following line :

"The guy who was here earlier said it was ok"

And when they'd say "who was that ?", he'd say :

"The guy in the truck, wearing blue jeans, boots, ball cap, about thus & such tall, etc...."

Because my friend knew that this describes 99% of all construction workers (blue jeans, driving a pickup truck, blah blah). And even if that didn't work to allow him to say, the worst that would happen is something like this :

"Well I don't know who that was you were talking to, but I'm the head foreman here, and I say you can't be here".

In which case, my friend would say "ok" and leave.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:49 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Scooterjim View post
I do that. First time was at a cool 1900's school that the city had just sold to a developer. Construction worker comes out and tells me it's private property now. I told him I talked to Tom and he said it was ok. He was cool with that and we never discussed who Tom was or his authority to give me permission. It's worked 3 out of 4 times now. The golf course Pro was the only one who asked who Tom was.

A property has to be more than just condemned before I call it open. My last questionable property was for sale, years vacant, next door to a repair shop that was working on my car. The property owner was doing 20 years in prison for human trafficking, the realtor had asked the shop owner to keep an eye on the property. She didn't think anyone would care and that was close enough to permission for me.
Human trafficking ya should've not only detected the yard but accidentally on purpose cleaned out the house