A Crusty Old Merc

goldpaninut

I got permission to detect at a lodge here in Southern Oregon several days ago, had a great time. I had detected up until about 3 pm and was getting tired & hungry when the owner came out with a bacon cheeseburger, fries, and a coke! Revived, I continued detecting until about dark. My last signal of the day was a 27 - 28 signal. Having trouble locating the target I finally saw a dirty dime, and threw it into my pouch for later identification. I found 248 coins that day, $21.16 worth to be exact in only a 200 X 200 foot area. At the end of the day I was beat, having detected 10.5 hours.

The next day I stacked and counted all the coins, and checked each ones date. When I came to the crusty black dime I found last, I couldn't see any detail at all on it. I almost threw it back in with all the clad dimes! Something told me to clean it though, so I soaked it in lemon juice for 15 minutes. After a hard rubbing I saw the unmistakable silhouette of lady mercury! It took 7 more soaking before most the black came off. It turned out to be a 1943-S in great shape when lost! Someone lost it in the 1940s but later a campfire was built right over it and pitted both surfaces pretty bad. I almost lost this one twice! Once digging, and again by almost throwing it in with the other clads!

I also found a 1948-P nickel in great shape, 4 wheat cents 1946-P, 1952-S, 1952-S, & a 1955-D. Then there was the shiny Washington quarter that came up from 5" as shiny as the day it was lost! But its a 1965 and I can't figure out why its not corroded beyond recognition like most other clads! Were a few of the 1965s made of a percentage of silver?

Attachments

• 2. Total take for the day.jpg
    2. Total take for the day.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_4541.jpg
    IMG_4541.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_4542.jpg
    IMG_4542.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_4543.jpg
    IMG_4543.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_4546.jpg
    IMG_4546.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_E4534.jpg
    IMG_E4534.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_E4533.jpg
    IMG_E4533.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 201
I HATE 1965 quarters (& dimes).
So close yet too far away to be silver :(
Looks like you have been killing those nickels.
I don't dig nearly enough nickel signals.
Good hunting !

Oh wow, that's a lot of coins! What a day! It would certainly make me wonder if I dug a '65 quarter like that. I don't think any were made with a small percentage of silver, but there are a few very rare ones that were struck on a silver planchet...which is 90% silver; same as a 1964. Those are worth big bucks, but way too rare to even think about. First check: Look at the edge to see if you can spot the typical clad layers. Second: drop it on a hard counter or table and listen to the sound it makes. Compare to known clad and silver quarters. Third: If you still think it's silver,(yeah right :roll:) then weigh it.
Most likely is it was just coated with something that preserved it well, or was recently buried.

That’s a great story! Bacon cheeseburger :yum:

Lady liberty never looked better, congrats on the great hunting and the silver dime!

Back
Top Bottom