I need a little help my CTX is killing my back and I am looking at the Equinox

RichT

Hello everybody my name is Rich I've been metal detecting about 30 yrs And I have a question for y'all I use a CTX 3030 and i have a really bad back I have used the pro swing with it And it doesn't help me So I am looking at the minelab equinox 800 But I must sell my CTX to get the equinox My question is do you think this is a wise decision I love my CTX but it is killing me Thanks for any info
Rich

Hello everybody my name is Rich I've been metal detecting about 30 yrs And I have a question for y'all I use a CTX 3030 and i have a really bad back I have used the pro swing with it And it doesn't help me So I am looking at the minelab equinox 800 But I must sell my CTX to get the equinox My question is do you think this is a wise decision I love my CTX but it is killing me Thanks for any info
Rich

What kind of sites do you hunt?

I hunt the beach here in Florida and I do some Relic hunting

I don't salt water beach hunt.
For relic hunting IMO based on actual Equinox use, it runs rings around CTX in that department. And with out the extra weight or price. On smaller to medium sized relics Nox better than CTX, bullet sized (bullet conductivity) closer to a tie.
In the iron, Nox much better.

Would you know how it is with target separation Like lets say a coin and iron Will it see the coin or iron or both

So i take it you don't hunt IN the water, so I think the weight difference alone (not to mention the price tag) is well worth it, I haven't seen very many equinox salwater hunting posts/vids to comment there, but your machine now is a proven performer at the beach, and i wouldn't be surprised if another version if the CTX or etrac were created soon...tough call there, I would go with the nox probably though, if Your back is hurting, I wouldnt make it worse... Good luck and happy hunting!

Would you know how it is with target separation Like lets say a coin and iron Will it see the coin or iron or both

The Minelab Equinox is one of the best detectors I have ever handled when it comes to iron/nails and nonferrous while using stock sized coil.

There are threads down in the all about detectors section talking of Equinox and other detectors.

It sure looks like the Equinox is a solid hunter Rich. If the bigger machine is making it miserable to do what you’re supposed to be enjoying,then I agree,it’s a no-brainer. As long as you have the Pro Swing adjusted correctly and you still can’t take the stress,I’d go another way. It’s very difficult to concentrate on target responses and correct form when you’re constantly trying to get comfortable,it shouldn’t be that way. Hunting sites that are target rich favors the guys who use heavier machines,because you’re only hunting for a short time between signals. But if you’re swinging for half an hour between targets,that’s where it’s determined who can handle that kind of stress.
If you’ve absolutely considered all options,I would switch.

Rich
Use a harness, it takes the weight off your arm, I been using then for 10 years.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rich

Sorry to hear about your back. I broke my back 18 years ago and have titanium and 4 screws plus one less rib on my left side. I also have the ctx. Back pain can sure ruin the fun and I understand your pain. Going to the NOX might help a little but most likely won't stop the pain. You may have to change the way you swing the coil. Your foot/feet placement can change the amount of twist you do at the hips. You might need to shift your feet as you swing to lessen the twisting at the hips. Also, you might try adding a weighted wrist band to your non detector hand to balance out the load and keep you straighter. I often carry my shovel or digger in my non detector hand holding it slightly away from my body to act as a counterweight. I shift my feet as a swing the coil to lesson the twisting at the hips. I haven't had any undue back pain from swinging the ctx and I have the 17" coil on it. I find the ctx well balanced and easy on my back. But I know swinging a detector is an individual thing and effect people differently. Hopefully you will get things figure out and get back to a more pain free detecting.

I think the best idea would be to see if anybody you know in your area has the 800 and try it for a day. Not sure if you have any dealers in your area that you could see about trying the unit.

And as I understand you can not hip mount the CTX so you really need to try the unit to see if it will be a lot better or not.

Ray

Ok guys I am going to be selling my CTX3030 I just want to thank everyone for all your help now I have to fined my ctx a good home

I have a bad back that has been getting progressively worse for 10 years. I sold my 30-30 because of the weight. I bought a Deus and swinging it was much easier on my back than 30-30, but the Deus wouldn't bend over and dig the targets. I sold my Deus and decided to give up detecting. My son talked me into buying a Nox 800 and just got my son a 600. The Nox is much easier to swing than the 30-30, but not quiet as easy as the Deus. It is easier to learn than either the 30-30 or Deus. I plan to do most of my hunting on the beach with a scoop to reduce the bending over while digging targets.

In my humble opinion you are not Upgrading to the 800...the 1Lb. saving it is not going to do anything for you as the CTX is much better balanced, ergonomically as well..The buttons are better placed on the CTX, where ya dont have to set it down to shut it off, turn it on or go wireless.(one handed anyway). Ya want light weight get a Deus...

I know no matter what HYPE you hear the Nox 800 is NOT as good as the CTX. Minelab says that themselves. You are going to lose depth and you are going to lose better visual identification.

After 3 weeks with mine I found that the Nox is amazing on gold/relic type conductors (better than CTX) , but running any type of discrimination the CTX still sniffed out the silver and coins better. When I tried to make a program for really trashy parks and notch out 1-11, 14-18, and 21-22 then it for sure took away from th ID being accurate and also depth because we were comparing targets and I went over wheats and silvers the CTX was hearing clearly and couldn't hear them on the Nox. But if I put it back on wide open then I could hear it. I did some more testing with it later and found out when placing several targets 1" apart it would of course nail them all very quickly and I could hear each distinct signal when using stock or wide open program. Then added in discrimination and the distinct sounds i was getting became a little bit blurred together, I was losing a few of them unless going really slow. So after that what I started doing was just leave it wide open but run in 5 tone and make all of the "junk" numbers sound off low like iron and only made nickels slightly higher and coins the highest settings. That seemed to work quite a bit better. But in the end I still prefer the CTX. Just made a trade for the 2012 ctx and the Nox for a brand new model CTX.

At least it will weigh less, which was his major problem. Remember he has a very bad back..

I remember .......

The weight of either pales in comparison of a full sand scoop or just plain bending over 20 30 times a day....either way good luck in whatever you choose..

Just got a Deus. Damn it's lite. Don't know anything else but damn it's lite and I willing to bet my back is as bad or worse. Now I just have to learn the thing.

Back
Top Bottom