Those who hunt the Santa Fe Trail

Birddog1911

Perhaps sadly, I didn't have a good idea of just what the route was. Too long out of school, perhaps. But, it goes through CO, not all that far from me.

I know that I can't hunt the historic Bent's Fort, but I was looking just to the SE, and the Arkansas River crossing area.

Now, I'm thinking that that could be a potentially good place to hunt, on both sides of the river. Is my thinking on this solid? Has it likely been hunted out? Any other tips/ideas?

Get out there and find something GREAT, we want to see some pictures , lol

Those trails were pretty "braided", weren't they? So I bet there's a lot of potential sites. A crossing is a good place, since traffic would be concentrated there, but there are probably huge regions where people camped on both sides... also, rivers move - fortunately in a predictable way, cutting outer banks until the route is too long, then cutting through the point - so do some research and find where the crossing was back in the day. It could be in the middle of a town park by now.

See if you can find out how far people typically traveled in a day before camping for the night, i have no idea, and maybe that will put you in the right general areas. Just a thought since you said you had all winter to research...

See if you can find out how far people typically traveled in a day before camping for the night, i have no idea, and maybe that will put you in the right general areas. Just a thought since you said you had all winter to research...

Good advice. I just have to figure out just HOW to do the research. I mean, probably a hundred different books.

I'm thinking that this area looks promising. The area in the center, where that trail crosses the river.

Attachments

• Ark River.jpg
    Ark River.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 399
Back
Top Bottom