• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Treasure Trove Laws ??

grubbydug

On A Post Where A Member Was Displaying Some Silver Bars, He Mentioned That The Treasure Trove Rules Didn't Apply Because They Were Not Over 40 Years Old And They Were Numbered.... So What Are The Treasure Trove Laws And How Do They Apply To We Who Might Find A Nice Pile Of Treasure?? Doug

Last edited:
The truth that I've found is that it is still disputed. So in searching for an answer I'm more confused than when I started out.

The most recent article I found concerning this in the US...

http://www.archaeology.org/online/features/trove/

Geodawn, It is confusing. In the end I believe I would be in favor of a landowner having control of everything on their land and if a treasure hunter wanted to make some arrangement to share a find in exchange for information about location of a cache and helping to find it, well, that's a different matter. Even our fouled up legal system would probably (hopefully?) support a landowner's right to protect his property from trespassers, no matter what they were seeking. Apparently, the way it would play out in a legal fight would depend on which state you are in.
Thanks for your input.... doug

What about on public land? You know, like the old stage coach robbery take that was cached until the gang could come back to get it, but they all died (except one) before they could get back to it, and the one left a) couldn't remember the exact location, b)renounced his former ways, or c) never made it back before he also died, years later. And a) b) c), told one person, on his deathbed, the story and a vague description of the location.

Back
Top Bottom